Messiah no more - baby gets a new name

Your kid isn't a fashion accessory. You shouldn't have the right to burden him or her with a problemsome name.

He's not public property either ( beyond a certain point at least. )

Sure, it's a pretty lousy name, but the judge went beyond his role IMHO.

I'm sure we can also think of some other really, really bad names. Should these also be illegal?

I hope she wins the case. If the kid was named "BigPole," "Hitler," "Longrod," "Buttsex," or like "Rimjob" I might agree with the judge, but messiah is just kind of a doofy name. Now, the parents probably are basically idiots, if I'm blunt about it, but that's not illegal as far as I can tell.

After having to deal with TN people everyday for the last two years, I am convinced they are a close first place over RI as the state with the dumbest people in the country.

I saw this story on the local news today. First of all, it's not exactly "big government takeover" because the parents filed a case to have the judge determine the name. She only had the power to change it because the parents gave her the power.

Second, they showed an interview with the judge and the reporter asked her how she felt about children named Jesus (pronounced "Hay-Zeus"). I swear you can hear her throw up in the back of her mouth before saying "that's not relevant". It was so funny, but we're also lucky she's not a judge in Arizona.

The Courts should obviously be able to restrain parents from doing things that are damaging to their children. In other words, children should be protected by the legal system. This would include where parents attempt to name them something that will be damaging for them throughout their childhood/life. Messiah? I don't see how that would be damaging to the child.

The Courts should obviously be able to restrain parents from doing things that are damaging to their children. In other words, children should be protected by the legal system. This would include where parents attempt to name them something that will be damaging for them throughout their childhood/life. Messiah? I don't see how that would be damaging to the child.

Some Danish poster on another forum mentioned once that in Denmark there are actually a few people named Messias (same as Messiah in English). Then again he went on to note that there are also Danish people whose surname is Satan.

:satan:

There are Americans named Towel... and La-a, pronounced La dash a.. and the word Heather spelled backwards.

Messiah as a name of a person is still better than "Towel", but obviously it has the potential to cause more problems to that person than anything else. Even if the actual decision to change the name was not utterly caused by the judge having this in mind (but with religious considerations of a different manner also playing a role) it doesn't change the fact that this kid will be better off with a normal name and not the title of the mediator between god and man :/

Top Bottom