New call for Rhye's and Fall of Civilization

It was a Spanish kingdom which is represented by Spain in the game.

The problem with Catalonia is that it isn't a civilization, it's just a branch off of Spanish culture...

I agree that Poland should be included, though. They were really important until the Age of Partitions.

@NC - Why would Australia have a civ there? Aboriginals can be represented by the barbs that will spawn there and Australia isn't really a civilization, just a branch off of Britain.

What...no...

IMO, you have to ask one question before including a new European civ into the game: Did they have ANY important colonies outside of Europe? If not, then they shouldn't really be included IMO. Europe would just become a nightmare if they were.

And I agree that Australia should not be in the game. But I do find it interesting that no one wants it to be added whenever people go "ADD POLAND!!!".

There is only so much time in a "normal" game, so many turns, so many things you can do. It's why we see Spain/Germany rather than Catalonia/Prussia for example.

I suppose you could argue, there might be some way of using the diplomatic marriage Austrian perk, giving it to all civs, then having triggers for CS's to join your cause to slightly better represent the unification of say the Spanish crown. Not to mention, it could better simulate things like the Berlin conference (European civs buying East African cities for example)

I won't lie, there are ways that rhye could more creatively use the 22 available slots. I dislike having the Songhai because they have limited contact with other civs, kind of like playing a game without adversaries. Mongolia was too short lived to properly "simulate" if you like, without adjusting the turns which adversely effects other eras of the game. Aztecs/Siam/Babylon are all small, but I guess represent OCC to varying degrees...

I notice the Byzantines miss out again, so I guess the fall of Rome will once again be basically a large barbarian uprising. I feel they have a role to play, in making Europe accessible to the Arabs (Byzantines gain former Roman territories, Arabs march to Constantinople, Byzantines then flip former Roman territories to the Arabs for a peace agreement, which may not be historical but would be much more fun than "oh look barbs, they solve everything"). Things get even more interesting after that with the reconquista, possible focus of the Arabs then moving east etc

modmod that last bit I'm guessing though

What...no...

IMO, you have to ask one question before including a new European civ into the game: Did they have ANY important colonies outside of Europe? If not, then they shouldn't really be included IMO. Europe would just become a nightmare if they were.

And I agree that Australia should not be in the game. But I do find it interesting that no one wants it to be added whenever people go "ADD POLAND!!!".

Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth is a helluva lot more important historically than Australia.

I disagree with your first statement... the Greeks and Romans were European, but they had no colonies. I don't think you can consider Alaska an important colony, so by your logic Russia should be cut as well.

Sorry, J. Stopping now. :p

Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth is a helluva lot more important historically than Australia.

I disagree with your first statement... the Greeks and Romans were European, but they had no colonies. I don't think you can consider Alaska an important colony, so by your logic Russia should be cut as well.

Sorry, J. Stopping now. :p

Gah, I'll take it to VMs.

@ dagriggstar: According to the first post Songhai isn't included.
Also (according to the first post) Turkey/Ottomans is now replaced by Vikings. Strange.

The return of this mod makes me unreasonably happy. Hooray! [party]:D[party]

Could I make a suggestion - I always thought it was weird that the Aztecs in RFC start surrounded by open land, and use settlers to settle multiple cities.

In real life, the Mexicatl only ever settled their capital of Mexico-Tenochtitlan. The rest of their empire was formed of surrounding city states who had been forced into tribute and submission by the Aztec influence and power.

In fact - this was one of the reason that they were so easily defeated by the Spanish. The Spanish managed to turn many of these city states back against the Mexicatl by promising them freedom from their oppression. Not that the Spanish ended up being any better..

Given that city states are in CIv5 - I think this would be perfect. The Aztecs should begin surrounded by city states such as Texcala, Tolan, etc, and their first historical goal should be to subdue them, either through force or influence.

this is a good suggestion, but I have to investigate if there is enough space and if such city wouldn't cripple Aztecs

What will be the performance expectation of this mod? Huge map + 22 Civs = horrendous playing for a lot of computers.

What will be the performance expectation of this mod? Huge map + 22 Civs = horrendous playing for a lot of computers.

Don't forget + Large Number of CSs with more than one city and extra tasty game mechanics like Stability. Yes, it will be a slow game. But it will be worth it. And we should probably take this conversation to the other thread.

Wow, I cant believe that finally the works on RFC 5 continues. I loved RFC 4 so much, it was a lot more fun than the standard game :goodjob:. I cant wait - its fantastic.

this is a good suggestion, but I have to investigate if there is enough space and if such city wouldn't cripple Aztecs

Thanks Rhye, it's not often my suggestions are taken seriously! :)

Actually, are you still looking for someone to do the Aztec city names map / settlers map?

How long do you expect each of these would take? I am happy to volunteer some time this coming weekend if I can help.

Wow, I saw the screenshots and I can tell that this is going to be totally different from standard Civ 5! I can't wait to play it -- I enjoyed RFC for Civ 4 so much that it took the place of playing a regular Civ 4 game!

Top Bottom