New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Well, I always wished to start a WW2 Commander NES, with some sort of player hierarchy. However, taking into consideration how most NESers I've seen are fiercely independent, I realized that many people wouldn't like to be in subordinate positions having to follow orders.

So I decided to instead have each NESer take the position of "Supreme Commander". Basically, everything is streamlined in order for the NES to be combat-oriented. The economy, technology, diplomacy, even society are all just used to bolster warfare. All you need to worry about is how to win the wars you are fighting, or will fight.

I will mainly be using Daftpanzer's 1936: Road to War rules, although I will replace the utilization of money in politics and espionage. Instead, I will give each nation a certain amount of influence and espionage points to spend.

The updates may be slightly more detailed than Daft's, (I'm just the details sort of person, and it's good practice for my current Global Studies class) but they won't be like my Kaiserreich NES.

I'm thinking of starting the NES in 1932 or 1933, but I am open to suggestions.

I'd actually be fine with being a subordinate and stuff, and I'm sure other NESers would be fine with it if they were put under "good" leadership and given enough autonomy.

Per Toukon NES I and DarkNES II (III?), there are plenty of NESers who would be willing to play in a subordinate military role. :p

This is a little project I have been working on, in conjunction with a rule set.

White lines represent the distances traversable with game-start technology - that is to say, any distance less than approximately 3.6791 parsecs. Red lines represent theoretically possible distances traversable, with future technology, up to perhaps 4.5989 parsecs.

All star locations are accurate within < 0.20 parsec room for error and map design.

This map takes the z-axis into consideration. For example, Fomalhaut (the blue star near the bottom star cluster) appears close to the other stars placed near it, but it is not connected to any of them because, in reality, Fomalhaut is located very far below the rest of them. Another example, Hip 109119, is approximately 8 or 9 parsecs below any of the stars nearby it and, thus, is not connected to them.

The process for labeling possible earth-like planets is underway. For example, Chi Draconis will not have an earth-like planet in the game because, in real life, the binary star system creates a habitable zone that is too unstable to support a planet. But, the system might be able to support a corporate mining base, or a military station, etc.

Is really hoping someone would want to revive Bombshoo's AoI NES. I would do it myself, but I'm afraid I'd have to update every two weeks with 6MW.

Is it now?

Thar b progress.

Nation: Nan Ming
Capital: Nanjing
Ruler/Player:
Paowu Emperor/Masada
Government:
Absolute Monarchy
Factions: Inner Court (4/2), State Bureaucracy (3/2), Merchantry (4/1), Northern Scholar Gentry (2/2), Army (4/4)
Culture: Chinese, with a significant Viet population in Annam, majority Burmese population in Guogan inter-spaced with ethnic Tai and other Burman groups, significant Austronesian populations in Taiwan and the Philippines and some residual Spanish presence; mostly Chinese speaking, with significant pockets of Vietnamese, Tibeto-Burman speakers inter-spaced with limited numbers of Tai speakers, Austronesian speaking populations and some Spanish speakers; large official state sponsored Cults both Confucian and Daoist with growing numbers of 'wild' Daoist and Millenarian Cults in China proper, majority Theravada Buddhism in Guogan, strong (increasingly syncratic) Catholic presence in Philippines with expanding presence in ports and coastal settlements of mainland and some residual native belief systems still in place.
Army:
Army Quality:

Army Description:
Based chiefly on large professional well trained military in south and south-west composed of strong disciplined infantry, a weak cavalry arm, excellently trained but slightly technologically inferior artillery led by a strong but increasingly autonomous officer corps; with settler colonies and northern magnates providing troops for northern defences these composed of a mix of poorly armed, sub-par infantry, little cavalry, reasonable-to-bad artillery and a poor increasingly scholar influenced officer corps.
Navy:
Navy Quality:

Navy Description:
Based on a large professional well trained navy with bases predominately in south-eastern China, composed of technologically advanced ships with strong armaments, crewed by poor quality conscripts, with sub-par warrant officers and strong officers.
Description

Looks familiar. Notably, you left out the important parts. :p

I was going to come to you for some of those :p

Be rather silly for an economist to ask me about the economy, gell?

I'm as usual happy to see the NES board still thriving, and happy to find myself with a tid bit of free time these days to actually make a post (in Abaddon's NES).

Going to lay to rest before any one asks that I still don't have time to bring back Sekai. I simply would rather wait until I have tons of time- I'd rather it die completely than to give it a half-assed mod. It was a fairly complicated NES that was also fairly demanding. IF I bring it back, I will probably implement something like "updates only occur once every other Sunday" or something. But that would require a complete re-tooling of the rules, and I like the rules as they are. Any way, it still lives on in my head.

I am thinking I might design a simple NES of sorts, or one that would at least only require me to update it once a week/every other week or something. With Sekai, I was manically updating it with massive story posts several times each day. :) I'm still doing a lot of fiction writing, and I've found myself enthralled with the idea of "magic" or at least "telepathic powers" in a space-opera setting (but no aliens, all humans). My writing has taken me through a lot of random places, such as humanity arranging itself into a large federation, and then breaking apart after an omnipresent plot to control telepathics and the galaxy is revealed (thus plunging the galaxy into a galactic Dark Ages). In my writing so far, I have organizations, galactic states, characters, starships, and (my favorite), details about telepathic or sorcerer powers... in a space setting. Maybe I'll come up with something sometime.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Dachs said:
Be rather silly for an economist to ask me about the economy, gell?

That's the important part? :p

Yeah, that sounds pretty interesting. Care to elaborate on the telepathics, though? My mind kind of instinctively drifts towards Dune.

das and Lord Iggy, great to hear from you two again. Dune is definitely an inspiration. I was thinking the "telepathy" would basically act as sorcery or magic does in a fantasy-based environment. However, it would not be elemental-based, but rather a broad essence of something that lives within those who have the power to use it. It will be more like sorcery in that one has to be born with this ability- it cannot be learned. The telepathy would make communication between those with this ability extremely meaningful and easy, but it would also allow for some powerful "spells", such as moving things with the mind or creating forcefields or powerful energy storms. Entire armies could be crafted from those with simple telepathic abilities, while characters could exist that have great ability. Even though people are born with this ability, they can hone their skills more and more (much like leveling in a fantasy game).

The basic plot I had envisioned was that Earth colonized other systems through the use of the hypergate system. The hypergate system was powered by a certain resource (haven't figured the specifics of this out yet- but as you will read, they are not very necessary). The hypergate allowed for ships to move from system to system with such ease- basically jumping through wormholes- instead of faster-than-light-speed travel. Thus the Federation existed, which was a democracy including all of the colonies in other star-systems spread throughout the galaxy. The Federation needed muscle, and this muscle was the Agency. Unlike a conventional military force, the Agency reigned through espionage and scare tactics. As time went on, the Agency became more and more corrupt. They began ruling through terror and threats, and the Federation had a massive fleet ready to jump through hypergates at any chance to put down any threat of rebellion. While the Federation was still technically a democracy, there was no question that the Agency was behind most decisions the council made.

To solidify their power, the Agency's top officials decided to look into rumors of another civilization in space. Scholars ascertained that this civilization actually came from Earth hundreds of years ago, most-likely from the Indo-China region. As more information was discovered, it was revealed that these humans that fled Earth hundreds of years ago actually manifested space-travel through the use of telepathic powers. So, instead of flying metallic space-ships, their space-ships were actually outward manifestations of their superior mental abilities- including weapons. The highest power of these telepaths knew that a new land had to be discovered, where only those of their kind could live. Thus, they fled Earth in their mind-ships.

The Agency, upon discovering this, ravaged the galaxy to find the whereabouts of this telepathic order. Some of the telepaths had remained in human society, approaching ages of the thousands. They began to flee from the colonies and from Earth, but the Agency had used its hypergate system to create a series of traps with their massive fleet. Eventually, the Agency's genetic researchers used powerful technologies and torture methods to explore the telepaths brain (the telepaths were called the Devans).

The Agency found Deva, the planet of these telepaths. The telepaths were few in number and inhabited a single system with a single planet and several moons. The massive Federation fleet surrounded these areas. The fleet was too vast, and massive nuclear orbital bombardment destroyed much of this area. Only the most powerful Devans escaped, by permanently melding their mind into asteroid bodies and creating powerful star mind-ships that have never been seen since. The less experienced or less talented Devans were left either to death or torture.

The Agency, realizing that their scientists could contain Devans in special cells, used their genetic sciences to tap into the brains of Devans and effectively enslave them. This was especially possible with the younger ones, even whose power could be amazing- they were so young that they were easily manipulated. Eventually it came down to genetic engineering, and then entire Devan armies were being bred by the Federation. They were the ultimate army of control and oppression.

Yet, one Devan faked his brain-washing and worked from within the Agency to bring it down. And meanwhile, many systems were upset with the "democratic" Federation. A "terrorist" organization known as DEIWOS began organizing resistance and planting bombs. These at first failed miserably, and many died in many systems as a result. However, the Devan within the Agency discovered DEIWOS and gave them the codes and locations of all hypergates, as well as the codes and locations of all mining operations that were extracting the resource that powered the hypergates. With this information, DEIWOS launched a massive operation which destroyed all hypergates and made it so the resource that powered them no longer even existed. The Federation could now not even reach the other systems- the reign of the Agency was over as the Devan hero launched a massive mind war to pull many Devans out of enslavement. Other Devans went mad and killed many. Earth was completely destroyed.

Hundreds of years passed. It was a galactic dark ages. Ships could reach other systems, but it took lifetimes in some cases. The hypergate system was also the source of communication between systems (of course, ships could make it to other systems, but it took a lot of time- initially it took Earth/the Federation hundreds of years to create the hypergate system and settle other worlds). Very little intergalactic communication occurred until... faster-than-light-speed travel was discovered (not only discovered, but perfected- it had been discovered to an extent earlier, but it was not very effective). Ships could now move faster and go between systems again, though not nearly as quickly as the now-impossible hypergate system (therefore making it impossible for one single power to rule the galaxy again).

And that is where the NES would start. Basically, at the beginning of a galactic Renaissance after a long Dark Ages. Each player could be a single star-system. Each star-system will be completely independent. Or a player could, like in Sekai, be a character or a party of sorts, with a single space-craft and crew. Guilds might be present as well. But like I said, I want this one to stay rather simple.

Anyway, that's the gist so far.

Top Bottom