• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

New NESes, ideas, development, etc

I believe I might start a new fresh start NES to complement my ongoing one.

Given my light workload in Vienna this should be doable. :)

:O

Would this be non-earth as well?

Yeah! I already have the map and everything planned out. It's a complicated idea... but basically it takes place on floating continents on a gas giant. The idea being that the "continents" are deposits of organic and nonorganic material built up on the backs of hydrogen gas balloons (life forms that buoy themselves); people live on top of these. The continents vary in thickness, so there's the occasional natural disaster known as the... flip. :vomit:

Also intriguing is the idea that the continents tend to drift around ad hoc and occasionally slam into each other, making previously unrelated nations suddenly neighbors.

What's the best way to format a major BT? I'd say about.. 5-6 years long, but with a lot of fighting, politics, etc? Should I go nation by nation, the history as a whole, or a mix of both? Help is appreciated.

What's the best way to format a major BT? I'd say about.. 5-6 years long, but with a lot of fighting, politics, etc? Should I go nation by nation, the history as a whole, or a mix of both? Help is appreciated.
Depends on the kind of NES, and what you want to do with the BT.

For instance, for the prospective (yeah, I know) DaNES III, I plan to race through time from 800 to somewhere in the late medieval or early modern periods, where the NES proper will start. So we'd have a series of BTs, each maybe a century or so in length. This is what AFSNES did, it's what ITNES did, and it's kinda like what N3S is doing, although N3S has really weird problems with the time duration of turns.

But if you're doing something on a much more compressed time scale, then it doesn't make sense to do centuries-long BTs, obviously.

As far as the content, um, doesn't that kind of depend on countries' BT orders? Lots of fighting if they order lots of fighting (although that Boring Time wouldn't be very boring), lots of politics if lots of political stuff happens...I mean, it's all very context-sensitive.

Hmm well if you do make DaNES III I will be there, and hopeful.

Don't do a Moria! Dig to deep and you'l reach ----------------------.

In that vein, moats are not so smart either.

or are the perfect defense...

Also intriguing is the idea that the continents tend to drift around ad hoc and occasionally slam into each other, making previously unrelated nations suddenly neighbors.

this reminds me in the vaguest of senses of a book where the inhabitants lived inside a huge fabricated world, with the suns at the center, and settlements floated in the emptyness, and jockeyed for power (the closer one was to the center and to the heat, the more power one had.)

It's an interesting Idea, and I'd likely play.

I almost always tell people as soon as they ask, and I don't really see how lack of consistency is a problem.

Well, in regards to my previous question about how one should go about with a successful BT, say it's simply a decade, with enough events included to severely alter the original game, all while in the bounds of reason.

Well, in regards to my previous question about how one should go about with a successful BT, say it's simply a decade, with enough events included to severely alter the original game, all while in the bounds of reason.

Do not focus on the specifics of war, merely the consequences. Go into a bit more detail about politics and economics because these will either illustrate the effects of war or aptly illustrate the 'broad-strokes' changes that have occurred to the world.

My 2 :commerce:

A BT isn't a decade. A BT is like, a generation or more, usually.

Well, an extended update I suppose. I don't really know what to call it, but I essentially wish to put things forward a few years, for the sake of the game.

Now, Immaculate, with what you said, should I cover the history, or do it nation by nation? I could always do both.

I think generally its better to do it as an overview of events during the period and definitely as a whole rather then nation by nation. Don't get into too much depth especially if it's a long BT, although perhaps more so if its only going to be a decade. Don't describe actual battles, like Immac said, if there's conflict talk about the causes and the implications.

it's a different subject, but personally, I don't think any NESes should describe actual battles. I almost always skip over these in other NESes, and hate writing them myself. Just boring really.

Also, I don't think I've mentioned here yet, begining on roughly the 21st of May I will be starting a new NES. It will bare some similarities with my previous NES (EkoNES I), and will be set in the powerful Dorian Empire, where rival Dukes will compete for power, influence over the petty fiefs and city states of the land, and the Throne itself.

More details to come.

Top Bottom