1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Feb 1st 2013 - bugs - Single Player

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Glad to see it helped. Keep up the great work! :goodjob:

Water, Power, Garbage, Police, Fire, Health and Education buildings were all returned to their higher gold per turn values. With all the changes such as civics, traits, etc; I felt they needed to have higher gold per turn costs like what was originally planned.

2. HunterWanKenobi

HunterWanKenobi Chieftain

koshling: i attempted what you asked, and it loaded fine but the terrain was still the same

3. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

The free-everywhere with a wonder issue strikes me as quite serious if the cost is to be increased this much. That's likely to be a Wonder that has a rather negative net effect in many situations as a result isn't it? The Wonder likely needs to be tweaked to give something different.

Regardless of the Wonder issue though - will anyone EVER (apart from maybe in a very research-focussed specialized city maybe) build something with +3 science for -10 gold? Can you explain how (after this change) this is much but a noise building hat will clutter lists but never be built? (i.e. - why would you build it? Maybe I'm missing a good reason...)

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I have to agree.

I have considered creating a building that is free but a upgrade to existing for such but it is a great deal of work. Eg have an upgraded Granary that costs less maintenance and is given free by the national wonder.

One Civ III mod that I liked and that was completely different handled these things in a different way. Having replacement buildings cost less and having national wonders which reduced the costs over all. So the national granary would be expensive for small nations but cheap for large. iirc the national gave free and no cost granaries but cost as much as ten in maintenance itself.

5. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

CTD

SVN 4925 No VP

Minidump/savedgame

I think 4924 is NOT Compatible?? I am almost 100% sure that is it, its causing a complete CTD on ALL games.

6. Lexotan_sedlex

Lexotan_sedlex Warlord

I agree, just update and cdt of load games.

7. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Minidump shows it to be crashing in option edits for traits, so this is one for AIAndy or ls612 to look at I think.

Edit - incidentally, since it's not crashing for me (running various saves people have posted for me to look at), it's a fair bet it depends on the latest assets as well as the DLL (I haven't updated my assets for about a week, but my DLL is current)

8. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

I used the syntax there incorrectly, I'm waiting for AIAndy to say how it should work (the example in the thread that I used was apparently incomplete). Sorry for that, It should be fixed soon.

9. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

When I load the game back after a break, I just noticed that units which I just upgraded get their remaining movement points back.

I also notice that the change figure for crime is very often a high negative when returning from a break. The crime figure itself doesn't change, but it could be symptomatic of a bug I can't see. Also, one can never diagnose a crime problem in the first turn after a break, which is something of a problem which affects gameplay.

This is v27 vanilla, which is why I posted it elsewhere initially. Reposting here because I was asked to, implying that some of you guys think the problems may still be there.

10. Flinx

Flinx Prince

I'm jumping on this bandwagon before it disappears.

I always thought we have some exchange at one bulb - one coin.

I didn't notice myself until today when it was mentioned that school of scribes skyrocketed from -3 to -10 (base value that is).

I would also like to know why the maintenance costs went up tis amount, especially if you consider that other early science building like mathematics academy or library remained unchanged.

11. Danisl

Danisl Chieftain

Oh Hi guys. This little pinkie tile just appeared. what can I do about it?

Attached Files:

12. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

FWIW, I agree too - it seems like overkill (a couple of times over :crazyeye:)

However, I have to say that, in earlier versions, there are times when you've got so much money (never quite happened to me, but I've seen it in posted saves, screenies & LetsPlays), you're casting about for something to squander it on.

Personally, when I get to say 2000 gold and +60pt, I don't look at the gold cost of buildings/units anymore.

Of course, I would like a better solution to this effortless agglomeration of wealth, and I'm confident you've probably got it licked by now...:borg:

13. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Nothing unfortunately, a couple of the resources (squash, pumpkin and melon) have an error in their low resolution versions. I have been waiting for the modder who I got them from to fix them.

14. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

@Hydro:

Regarding the recent building cost increases I think that they are a bit extreme. I looked into my issues with gold and it turns out that the cost changes were enough to subtract half of my income, ie that my issues were not bugs. That is overboard. And putting them on buildings that already had costs and come in the Classical era where gold isn't as abundant is also bad. The costs should be scaled back to what they were before. There are other ways (tech commerce modifiers, maintenance on castle and culture stuff) to reduce gold in a more managable way.

15. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I got another crash, which is reproducible, and I'm attaching a save and minidump.

To reproduce:

- Load save (in version 2.8)
    - Move Hank the Hunter 2 tiles northwest
    - Tell the Gatherer to build a trail path
    - End turn
    - Crash to desktop :(

Note that this was on a Huge map without viewports. Performance seemed to be much improved over Gigantic maps with viewports.

Another bug: When attacking alligators (whether large or small), the alligators sound like horse archers or keshiks, and there are very large red blood-like explosions during combat.

16. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

V28 or the SVN?

Edit: I just tested and it isn't on the SVN.

17. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

I can tweak it back since an earlier building. However I would like to keep the late buildings more expensive.

18. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Fine, so long as people will still build them, which is basically comes down to the gold to science ratio making sense for it's era.

19. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

@Koshling

I reduced it to -5 gold per turn. Note it was originally -3 so it now went up 2 instead of 7. Which actually makes sense compared to other buildings of that era. In short it tougher than before but not so out of wack like it was. Especially with all the gold producing buildings I have been adding.

I understand your concern but some of it was getting ridiculous with -1 gold no matter what benefits the buildings gave. I have been trying to scale them a bit better. I am still open to tweaking. Infact I want to also scale the money making buildings too.

20. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Can I ask how it makes any sense at all to take your gold, which if you're doing as well as you can is being converted to research at a rate of 1 for 1, at a % which can be adjusted at your option, and build a building which not only enforces that more gold is being converted to research (without the option provided by the slider) but is converted at a rate of approx 5 gold for 3 research? How, in any sense of imagination, would this be a positive building to have when if you simply don't build it, your conversion rate can be 1 for 1 (a far better conversion rate!) instead?

I do realize that there's a difference between gold and commerce and its a subtraction of gold rather than commerce and its not actually gold that can be converted to research but rather commerce but still... when the slider is enabling a 1-1 conversion rate it seems silly that just because the commerce has been converted to gold which can then not be converted to research without such a building that the conversion rate would be so bad through the building. Seems like you're taking a hard hit forever after building the library. If you could turn the functioning of the library off or on at will then I could understand this better.

In short, what this means is, if I'm running at 100% research and I have a gold surplus coming in, then great, I'm quite glad to have the Library built as its helping to convert that surplus into further research than 100% would normally allow. BUT if I ever have to drop the research rate at ALL, then I'm immediately regretting the Library being there because it means that I'd be getting more research for not having it. (and those Libraries could well be the reason I'm having to reduce my research rate - which means, in the end, that the Libraries I've built are actually reducing the amount of research I'm getting... ugh!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.