1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Feb 1st 2013 - bugs - Single Player

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

OK that one was the Huron one, but i couldn't even attack with the atlatl from the city??

2. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Where? Which save?

3. strategyonly

Its working now, let me "maybe" see how long it takes for it to happen again.:blush:

4. Vaya

Vaya Chieftain

King's Council is in building category now. I think it's supposed to be a national wonder.
    Also I cant use captives - civilian to join cities unlike captives - military. But I guess the slavery system is still being redone so np.

5. zeinul

zeinul Warlord

koshling fixed pathing error, and now I'm getting CTD without error on next turn.

6. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

captives - Civilians can only join cities with current populations less than 7. Just like Immigrants.

7. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

The reason the stack is not attacking is two-fold:

1) It's not as strong as it looks right now, because it's just hung out in terrain0-damagign tile, so it's only at 85% strength when it evaluates its strength (it should move to the hill and heal before attacking anyway)

2) You are playing on deity. The AI calculates how much over-powering force it needs based somewhat on the implied competence of its target as judged by their handicap level. This is making it think it needs considerably more strength than you

3) Taking account of all promotions, fortify bonus and city bonus, you defending AtlAtls are actually a fair bit stronger than the attacking ones

Taken together these factors make it decide it's not yet ready for a frontal attack. HOWEVER, in walking through this I did find some issue and things I have tweaked:

• City defense was being double-counted (which I am fixing)
    • The handicap-based modifier was intended to cause it to build bigger stacks before it set out. Once they are close to the target city this modifier is not really useful since the element of surprise is lost, so I have changed it to only apply while the stack is building in home territory, or some distance away from its target
    • There was a nasty bug in the combat mod code that meant attackers were assessing their own unit combat modifiers against themselves! This didn't impact this case but it was obviously wrong when walking through the code. I will PM TB about it, since it was a deliberate change he made, but the reasons are unclear. Since its 100% certainly wrong as i stands I have fixed the case I am aware of, but that may have broken something TB was aware of that am not (he left a cryptic comment in the code about assassins but it's not clear how it impacts them)

After the above tweaks, it moves to the same hill and heals, after which (if you haven't reinforced more at least) it attacks.

8. zeinul

zeinul Warlord

@Koshling could you please look at my savegame and minidump?

"The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access." - error form minidump

9. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Keep getting a Python Exception when I right click on an Outrigger and hold mouse button down over a dragon ship. Has happened twice in last 5-10 turns. See screen shots.

1st time (after Ctrl/alt/Del and shutting down unresponsive CIV IV) I was able to restart from previous turn. When I got to the outrigger vs Dragon ship I just attacked and game proceeded.

It's when you hold down the mouse to get Combat odds that the hang occurs with the python popup and even though the OK button depresses the message will not go away.

This from SVN version 5093 build.

JosEPh

10. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Have been doing for about 45 minutes...

11. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Please post the PythonErr.log it is easier to locate the problem from text than it is from an image. Especially given my dyslexia.

12. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

DH,

Here you go PythonErr.log.

JosEPh

13. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I was just adding in concept pages for Captives and World Views and I got the following missing text (TXT_KEY_TRAIT_BARBARIAN) in the concept page. Does this mean I've done something wrong? I did not do a before check.

Edit Just did a before so it is someone else's problem :D

Missing game text TXT_KEY_TRAIT_BARBARIAN.

14. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I have seen that problem before and I was not able to fix it in Python. Basically it looks like the dll is not returning a string from CyInterface().getHelpString(). Line in the python is
    Code:
     screen.setHelpTextString( [B]CyInterface().getHelpString()[/B] )
    The whole module is:
    Code:
      # Will update the help Strings
      def updateHelpStrings( self ):

screen = CyGInterfaceScreen( "MainInterface", CvScreenEnums.MAIN_INTERFACE )

if ( CyInterface().getShowInterface() == InterfaceVisibility.INTERFACE_HIDE_ALL ):
          screen.setHelpTextString( "" )
        else:
          screen.setHelpTextString( CyInterface().getHelpString() )

return 0

15. strategyonly

I see the problem, its misspelled, fixed, thx.

16. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

But due to dyslexia on my part I should have typed it with out a B. The missing text is actually TXT_KEY_TRAIT_BARARIAN. So it is a typo in the trait infos file.

17. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

CyInterface.getHelpString() is not a DLL function - it's a core engine function. No idea what it's supposed to do exactly though, given it has no parameters...

18. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Unfortunately I was unable to reproduce the crash (probably because other changes in my code since the version you used have caused slightly different AI behavior that doesn't trigger the critical case). However, the minidump was a sufficient smoking gun for a theory, which I have been able to prove does happen (and leads to corrupt data that conceivably could result in the crash your minidump shows). I have tested with a fix for that and it runs fine for me as well as not giving rise to the corruption that I **think** caused your crash.

Once I push this fix to the SVN (later this evening) I'd appreciate it if you could confirm that it solves your problem for you also (when you are able to).

Also, in the course of running this save, I came across an odds calculation error that was causing occasional bad odds evaluation. I'm currently working on a fix for that also, which will hopefully be included with this evening's SVN push.

19. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Okay then, don't try to get combat odds from a Outrigger to a Dragon ship. Just Attack! ;)

JosEPh :)

20. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I'll put in a test for a null return then since I don't think the CyGInterfaceScreen function setHelpTextString does any checks. Though last time I did that it did not help either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.