Proofs that God is imaginary

Actually, the most succesful and populous species on the planet are insects. (Not counting smaller forms of life, ofcourse.) But as the most ravenous and destructive species we still rank first. (Following that observation, one might conclude that God is evil, rather than good - if only slightly more so. I say might, as the universe - if there is only one - is immensely vast and this is only one tiny planet in an immeasurably large ocean of empty space.)

Lies! Mice are the master-race, of course!

NOTE: Douglas Adams was an atheist - good enough evidence for me

Or Rabbits!

Human: Born -> Weak and helpless childhood -> Teen insecurity -> Work stress adult -> Sickly aged

Rabbit: Born -> have sex -> have babies that don't need you more except for more sex -> have sex -> die happy

Ah... we are part of a research program then. Cold, objective, research.

If we are not, and is instead loved like our pet monkey, I would not subject my monkey to the risk of dangerous buttons. And if I love my monkey, I will make a little more effort training my pet to be a little more intelligent. Teaching pet dogs tricks takes more effort.

Conclusion I get from your reasoning = We are NOT loved. We are like an ant the playful boy burns with a lighter just to see the ants scream.

And we don't have to be smarter than a creator, but we have to operated under the same moral standards. But it is apparently not so.

Purposefully drawing the most obtuse conclusion from a comparison is a very bad way to win an argument. It makes you look like a fool.

I'll not deny that pinning down omnipotence, omniscience, and omnibenevolence is a tricky proposition. However, assuming that you can get someone to commit to particular definitions of omniscience, omnipotence, and omnibenevolence, it may well be possible to show that the current state of affairs is simply inconsistent with those definitions. It will then be necessary for that person to either abandon their commitment to a traditional monotheist God or modify their ideas about God's attributes (which amounts to the same thing).

But then you again run into the issue of what constitutes proof to some people? Remember those people who see the face of Jesus or Mary in potato chips or rust stains on walls and build shrines?

And I haven't seen yet any conclusive 'proof' of God's existence or non-existence. (And that includes everything posted on this thread - and similar threads - so far. There's nothing new about people publishing "Proofs that God is imaginary", nor the opposite; theologians have published "Proofs that God is real" ever since the Middle Ages - just Ask A Theologian.)

How would you prove something doesn't exist? :confused: It's not possible.

God created locusts, which far from benefit the 'ultimate purpose' of mankind.

You're presuming God looks after people and not locusts.

How would you prove something doesn't exist? :confused: It's not possible.

Quite simple really: if God exists, there should be some evidence (i.e. proof) of 'his' existence; if no such evidence can be found, it's quite viable to conclude that God doesn't exist. IMO it's far more difficult to prove that God (i.e. a Divine Being) does exist, as every Godproof has some premise that first needs to be agreed upon; if no such premise can be agreed upon, it's impossible to prove that God exists. (And one might then, again, be justified in concluding that God doesn't exist.)

Quite simple really: if God exists, there should be some evidence (i.e. proof) of 'his' existence; if no such evidence can be found, it's quite viable to conclude that God doesn't exist.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, so no, that doesn't work.

But if we follow the maxim that we don't trust anyone who gives no evidence, then it is not rational to believe in God.

JEELEN; That's the position of His Holiness; which is the basis of the whole Aquinas-Aristotle theology and so the condom debate

I am somewhat confused by your latter statement; could you clarify?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, so no, that doesn't work.

I should think that any absence of evidence of the existence of a divine being also excludes the existence of God. The problem, however, as I already indicated, is that there is no universal definition of what God really is, so evidence either way is impossible to obtain - which was my point.

Contradictions in the bible don't prove God is imaginary. It only proves that the religion of Chrstanity has a holy book that isn't perfect. But even if you were to say that alone disproves the entire religion of Chrstanity, that dosen't mean you've disproved GOD.

Quite true. (Even assuming God is perfect - perfection being one of the attributes customary ascribed to God -, humans certainly aren't. Imperfections in the bible/Torah/Koran can only be ascribed to their various authors - regardless if they profess 'divine inspiration'; even the story of Jesus, the 'Son of God' has contradictions, as do all human stories.)

Could someone list the "contradictions" in the bible (and don't give me the whole evolution/creationism debate) because I'm looking but I can't find any....

To be honest, you need to look. Bear in mind that different people with different opinions wrote it; the same relgion went on Crusade as ducked out of the trenches of Flanders.

The contradictions the Bible has within itself, or the times when it quantifiably says things we know to be false?

Top Bottom