Thank you very much! I understand now!

And how affects production charges? for example if I'm building a wonder with "Corvée" (15% toward wonders) and I use a great engineer?
Which GE? As in the ones that give x amount if production to Wonder building?

Yes, like Imhotep and such, do their x production to wonders is affected?
I don't know, but I suspect not. The way the game incorporates "+x%" is by increasing the actual production of the cities themselves. If you look at the production of a city building a Wonder, it'll say (for example) 100 prod, but if you then slot in corvée, it'll change and say 115 prod. If you were then to change what was being built to, say, a GDR, it would change back to 100 prod again. I'm not 100% but this explains the sudden changes in prod in my cities when I build certain things so I believe I'm right in this.

This would suggest that the calculation is done against the city, and probably not the GE. I could easily be wrong and would prefer it if someone who actually knows answers, but thatmy speculation on the matter. Sorry!

If you play Conquests of Alexander on deity, can you continue after the 37 turns is up if you lose?

Edit: Answer is no

Last edited:
Can someone explain the district strategy to lock in the lower yields to build strategy.

Can someone explain the district strategy to lock in the lower yields to build strategy.
I'm really not sure what you are referring to. Do you mean locking in lower district costs?

The cost of districts goes up each era. I can't remember how the increase is calculated, but if you build a district in the Ancient Era, it will be quicker to build (even if your production in that city doesn't increase) than if you wait and build it in the Classical Era.

Another important fact to know is that the cost is fixed when you first lay down the district, so if you lay down the district at in one era, the cost will not go up when you finish building it in the next. You can even do zero turns building it, as long as you place it, thenlower cost is locked in.

So, the strategy becomes apparent; make sure that you place any available districts as early as you can, even if you do not intend to build them just yet. On the final turn of any era, I'll do a quick run through all of my cities and, if they have a district slot available, place a district to lock in the lower cost, then return it to whatever it was building before. When I'm ready, I'll have my cities actually build those districts. The downside is that I have to commit to building a particular district earlier, but I can use the turns I saved to build other things dando get my yields sooner.

The cost of districts goes up each era.

Its not every era. The district costs scale with your tech or civic tree (depending in which one you are further). So district costs can change several times each era.

Keep in mind that you can build districts that you have just a few of compared to your overall districts relatively quickly as well. Iirc there is a 40% discount. I guess there is an older thread here in the forum where this mechanic is explained in detail.

I'm really not sure what you are referring to. Do you mean locking in lower district costs?

The cost of districts goes up each era. I can't remember how the increase is calculated, but if you build a district in the Ancient Era, it will be quicker to build (even if your production in that city doesn't increase) than if you wait and build it in the Classical Era.

Another important fact to know is that the cost is fixed when you first lay down the district, so if you lay down the district at in one era, the cost will not go up when you finish building it in the next. You can even do zero turns building it, as long as you place it, the lower cost is locked in.

So, the strategy becomes apparent; make sure that you place any available districts as early as you can, even if you do not intend to build them just yet. On the final turn of any era, I'll do a quick run through all of my cities and, if they have a district slot available, place a district to lock in the lower cost, then return it to whatever it was building before. When I'm ready, I'll have my cities actually build those districts. The downside is that I have to commit to building a particular district earlier, but I can use the turns I saved to build other things and to get my yields sooner.

So, this helps. Thanks @web25 for asking the question. Let me probe a bit further on the mechanics.
I want to lay down (say) a Campus and Government Plaza, to lock in the lower costs, but right now I'm building some units to prepare for fighting. What are the specific mechanics -- mouse clicks -- that make this happen? if I put the districts in my build queue, yes, I get the dialog saying, "do you want to build X here?" and I click Yes. But I don't want to build them now. How do I move the other things ahead of the districts? How do I keep building archers/horsemen/men-at-arms before I start work on the districts?

So, this helps. Thanks @web25 for asking the question. Let me probe a bit further on the mechanics.
I want to lay down (say) a Campus and Government Plaza, to lock in the lower costs, but right now I'm building some units to prepare for fighting. What are the specific mechanics -- mouse clicks -- that make this happen? if I put the districts in my build queue, yes, I get the dialog saying, "do you want to build X here?" and I click Yes. But I don't want to build them now. How do I move the other things ahead of the districts? How do I keep building archers/horsemen/men-at-arms before I start work on the districts?
Just click as if you wanted to start building the district now, once you've selected the location and the foundations have laid (ie it will start building if you do nothing but hit the button for the next turn), select the unit (or whatever) you were building and it will build that instead, but the district will be locked in. If you're talking about building queues, I play on the Switch and have never used the PC version so I can't help you there, I'm sorry.

For Vampire Castle wiki says "Duplicates yields from adjacent tiles and adds them to its own. These yields are provided directly to the Capital." How does that work ? Do each of the 6 surrounding tiles provide double the yields ? What happens when tiles have a district or a wonder ? What happens when the castle is in the borders of a city that is not the capital, can that city still benefit from that tile ?

Last edited:
All yields on tiles adjacent to a vampire castle together are the vampire castles yields. So wonders/districts dont provide any benefits. You can not work the castles though, their yields are directly added to your capitals yields.
Lets say you have a vampire castle surrounded by 6 grassland hills. You can work all the hills for their 2f/1p. The vampire castle then gets 6*2f/1p=12f/6p and adds those to your capital.

Is that normal, that on disaster intensity 2 (two!) a sandstorm in the modern era can destroy all my districts with all buildings in it in my 3 (three!) biggest central cities? I was leading the game, now I'm basically reset to stone age.

Is that normal, that on disaster intensity 2 (two!) a sandstorm in the modern era can destroy all my districts with all buildings in it in my 3 (three!) biggest central cities? I was leading the game, now I'm basically reset to stone age.

It can definitely happen. If I got this right the difference between disaster levels is more disasters on higher levels in general and also a higher chance for the more destructive disasters to appear. Therefore each disaster type has different categories. Once a disaster happens and the category is set there is no difference between the different disaster levels (apart from the higher vulcano range at level 3 and 4).
For example there are 2 categories of dust storms, Gradients and Haboobs. On intensity 2 a sandstorm has a chance of 80% to be a Gradient and a 20% chance to be a Haboob iirc. Gradients are by far less destructive than Haboobs though. Haboobs have a chance of 75% to pillage districts and a 100% chance to pillage buildings (in comparison Gradients have chances of 20% and 60%). Also Haboobs affect 7 tiles at once while Gradients just affect 3 at a time. Both categories last for 3 turns and move around 3 or 4 tiles per turn.

If you want to get more into this you can look here and here.

Is playing without granaries feasible or preferable in general ?
Can playing without a granary be preferable even for a city with Pingala as governor with Connoisseur and/or Researcher ?
Are housings from tile improvements provided even when those tiles are not worked ?
Is Etemenanki good enough even for Babylon who gets only half the science yields ?

Last edited:
Is playing without granaries feasible of preferable in general ?
It's feasible to play either with or without granaries. I generally just build them when I don't have a lot of other things to build, ie they're a low priority. I'm not very good at squeezing the highest performance out of civs though, so maybe someone else who is better should answer that. Same with the rest of the granary questions.

Are housings from tile improvements provided even when those tiles are not worked ?
I believe so, yes. You just don't get the yields (ie the 2pf/1p or whatever).

Is Etemenanki good enough even for Babylon who gets only half the science yields ?
The -50% isn't really the crux - if you need science per turn, the malus makes it all the more important to get the extra science from wherever you can. The killer would be the free techs - you might be better off investing that prod into getting a Eureka instead. So it depends on how much science you'll get out of it and how much you need the prod for Eurekas. I'd go for campuses first for the GS points which will help get you more Eurekas and thus free techs. As always, it's always a weighing issue, a tradeoff on what is best.

Last edited:
Do Preserve's and its buildings' bonuses to adjacent tiles extend to adjacent tiles that are used by neighbour cities of the same or rival civilization ?

I don't know, but I suspect not. The way the game incorporates "+x%" is by increasing the actual production of the cities themselves. If you look at the production of a city building a Wonder, it'll say (for example) 100 prod, but if you then slot in corvée, it'll change and say 115 prod. If you were then to change what was being built to, say, a GDR, it would change back to 100 prod again. I'm not 100% but this explains the sudden changes in prod in my cities when I build certain things so I believe I'm right in this.

This would suggest that the calculation is done against the city, and probably not the GE. I could easily be wrong and would prefer it if someone who actually knows answers, but thatmy speculation on the matter. Sorry!

Hi again, I tried yesterday to add production to a wonder through a great engineer and I think the +15% worked. I received more production than the quantity supposed for the charge. If I'm not mistaken, the Great Engineer charges work as the extra production that you receive when chopping, and it seems that they are affected too when using policy cards that give extra production.

Is there any way to adjust starting continent to each civilization at the beginning of the game? Without mods, because I'm playing on console. It would be nice playing as - for example - Aztec empire, start on a continent with Mayan, Peru, Mapuche, Cree, Brazil and Columbia, and on the second continent have Spain, Portugal, England and Netherland.

Is there any way to adjust starting continent to each civilization at the beginning of the game? Without mods, because I'm playing on console. It would be nice playing as - for example - Aztec empire, start on a continent with Mayan, Peru, Mapuche, Cree, Brazil and Columbia, and on the second continent have Spain, Portugal, England and Netherland.
The only way I know is to use TSL Earth (woukd have to be Huge Earth TSL) and then pick those civs to be in the game. It would work for your game because they happen to be split among New World/Old World anyway, but the Old World civs would be quite packed together. If you wanted to mic it up, say have England and Aztecs together, it obviously wouldn't work.

The only other way I could see it working is if you gave q computer version, set the game up using a mod (if there is one) then transferring it via cloud save. BlackButterfly is more knowledgeable about it and might know, but I'm not even sure how to mention people to get his attention.

Thanks! I may try that TSL Earth map, and I would really appreciate if Firaxis would add this feature in the next Civ game, I don't think it's something that requires a lot of work, but it would be good addition in options setting.

Top Bottom