About three pages back in this thread I posted a long post on loyalty.

+/- 20 capped is pop.

Many other factors but governors, monuments and to a lesser extent majority religions being the prime factors.

What does NP mean while saying NP city there ?

+8 if you have a governor available, +1 if you can buy/ chop a monument and +2-3 for rapid pop growth from high food tiles/ food chops. So -10 to -12 is easily survivable.

Disloyalty gives a growth nerf, so the first turns are crucial. If you can buy a monument and chop a pop on turn 1 you can survive a small negative long enough to grow before you hit the 75 loyalty -25% debuff.

If you have a religion there is a -3 or +3 depending on if the city follows the religion. Given the need for rapid growth if you are relying on quick pops have a couple of missionaries present.

Victor with garrison commander in a nearby city is another +4.

Amenities give -6, -3, 0, +3, or +6 but it is problematic to rely on forcing amenities to a given city until national parks come along with their +2 to host city and +1 to four closest cities. Forcing happiness lets you build in the first couple of pop, but bare in mind that population pressure is capped at +/- 20 while the amenities are a separate modifier. There could be niche strategies of keeping a triple NP city tiny and stacking the +6 with other modifiers to eat the max -20.

There are a bunch of cards but, in general, using a precious slot for more than a couple of turns is a very high cost to pay. There are a bunch of civ unique bonuses. Persia with a garrisoned unit +5, a governor +8 (+13), a monument +1 (+14), your religion +3 (+18) and Victor GC nearby +4 (+21) can ignore pop loyalty pressure. With the right cards, governors and sufficient resources other civs can too.

It's a question of how much you want to mould your game around this one mechanic and how much resources you are willing to throw at it.

How good or bad is the idea of building an encampment within 2 tiles of another player's capital so they can both ranged strike one another in a potential war ?

How good or bad is the idea of building an encampment within 2 tiles of another player's capital so they can both ranged strike one another in a potential war ?

Encampments can't target cities and vice versa. But it is a good spot to put a siege unit since the city can't target units inside encampments. Free shots/exp.

Are food yields from plot harvests and feature removals also subjected to factors modifying the growth food and the housing multiplier before being added to the food basket ? Do similar things apply for other yields from plot harvests and feature removals ?

Last edited:
Is there a guide explaining siege in detail? I cannot for the life of me figure siege out.. sometimes I have 3 units around a city and the city is under siege. Sometimes I have 4 units, but depending on their position, the city is either under siege or not. I can't figure the mechanism out.

Is there a guide explaining siege in detail? I cannot for the life of me figure siege out.. sometimes I have 3 units around a city and the city is under siege. Sometimes I have 4 units, but depending on their position, the city is either under siege or not. I can't figure the mechanism out.
To put a city under siege, all its surrounding passable tiles (except mountains and impassable natural wonders) must be in your units' zone of control. The simplest case is a completely landlocked city in open terrain, which can be besieged by 2 units only on the opposite sides of the city. If there are rivers or coast, you'll need more units, as zone of control of land units gets cut at the river (or any water) an does not extend on the opposite bank. If city is on the coast, you'll either need ships to blockade, or embark some units for full surround. Embarked units only exert ZoC on the tile they occupy, so if the city has more costal tiles, bringing a ship will be better (except subs which do not ZoC).
A city with established Victor promoted to Defense Logistics will not be put under siege.

And some that ordinarily don't have ZOC may acquire ZOC capability through promotion (e.g., why does this crossbowman exert ZOC while that other one doesn't? The first one has the Suppression promotion).

Anyone know why I cant build a dam here?
Or in Linkoeping (at the southern circled spot)? I never had a problem like this with dams before, but I havent played in like half a year or more

Anyone know why I cant build a dam here?
Or in Linkoeping (at the southern circled spot)? I never had a problem like this with dams before, but I havent played in like half a year or more
Bug. You're on TSL and because none of the rivers are named on TSL maps, for some reason that means that you can't build dams, nor can they flood. I think Mediteranean TSL does work though, if I remember rightly.

Bug. You're on TSL and because none of the rivers are named on TSL maps, for some reason that means that you can't build dams, nor can they flood. I think Mediteranean TSL does work though, if I remember rightly.
Thanks, that makes sense to me
I never played Earth map before and tried out Huge Earth

To put a city under siege, all its surrounding passable tiles (except mountains and impassable natural wonders) must be in your units' zone of control. The simplest case is a completely landlocked city in open terrain, which can be besieged by 2 units only on the opposite sides of the city. If there are rivers or coast, you'll need more units, as zone of control of land units gets cut at the river (or any water) an does not extend on the opposite bank. If city is on the coast, you'll either need ships to blockade, or embark some units for full surround. Embarked units only exert ZoC on the tile they occupy, so if the city has more costal tiles, bringing a ship will be better (except subs which do not ZoC).
A city with established Victor promoted to Defense Logistics will not be put under siege.
Thanks, to you you and all the others. But if I might ask one last question: what is/makes the zone of control of a unit?

My pacific game is snowballing into domination because I declared surprise war on Gaul in the early game to snatch a settler and Ambrorix wouldn't give me peace... and I think I've only played one domination game in my life, so I don't know a lot about fighting.

What happens when a volcano erupts onto a district or city center in Civilization VI ?
How can I see the disaster intensity setting of a game ? What is the default disaster intensity setting of a game on prince difficulty ?

Ok, question: I'm playing Genghis Khan and I threw Mvemba a Nziga down.... sort of: he had previously been in a fight with Suleiman and lost Kwila. So Kwila was under Ottoman power when I conquered all remaining Congo cities and he stayed in the game. Unfortunately, he has souzerainty of a couple of city states and after I declared war on Suleiman, his City States started being a nuisance because Genghis declared an emergency against me and I obviously lost. So.... I conquered Kwila, but Nzinga is still in the game?? Why? How? What do I do to take him out?

Ok, question: I'm playing Genghis Khan and I threw Mvemba a Nziga down.... sort of: he had previously been in a fight with Suleiman and lost Kwila. So Kwila was under Ottoman power when I conquered all remaining Congo cities and he stayed in the game. Unfortunately, he has souzerainty of a couple of city states and after I declared war on Suleiman, his City States started being a nuisance because Genghis declared an emergency against me and I obviously lost. So.... I conquered Kwila, but Nzinga is still in the game?? Why? How? What do I do to take him out?
He doesn't have a city elsewhere? He might have gotten a city to flip to him via loyalty even after he was defeated.

Top Bottom