Thank you for all the answers guys. I really do appreciate it. I'm still learning the fine details of the game. I think I'm improving fast. But I still have a few more questions...

1.How do you use Privateers correctly? Every time I try to use them, it tells me it would trigger a war, and even when I am at war, I have not figured out how to do a "coastal raid". What's a Privateer for? And what's the point of building them if using them will trigger a war?
You can't directly attack or harm another Civ without declaring war. Privateers (and other units of the Raider class) are normally invisible to other units. They can only see you if you are within one tile, or if a City Centre, Encampment, Destroyer or another Raider can see you. That makes for a good wartime (or if the Barbs are out of control) scout, since they generally can't engage you. They also eventually upgrade to Nuclear Submarines, which are awesome nuclear launch sites, since they're mobile and invisible (obviously leaves much to be desired on maps that are mostly land).

Raiders aren't amazing, but they have their uses. Unfortuantely, like all the other naval units, they're mostly robbed of their utility because the AI doesn't really build navies. You're better off building a couple of Naval Melee Units and using them to assert supremacy than incorporating a significant force of raiders. Maybe have one or two for scouting and coastal Barb Camp clearing, but I don't think I ever build any Raiders unless I want nuke subs to launch missiles.
2. Ever since I downloaded the latest update of Steam and Civ 6, my game interface language has been all bugged up. My language is set to English, but yet some descriptions (like 1 of Reyna's governor abilities, as well as the Wold Congress/UN) is in a totally different language. It's like I see things in English in some screens, and others I see it in Spanish (and some in what looks like potentially Portugese.) Has this language hybrid bug happened to anyone else? Is there a way to fix it so it always shows in English consistently in every text?
I've not seen this, sorry.

The hybrid language happened to me back when I was too lazy to learn working with Modding Tools and was modding things by manually rewriting and backing up files. I resolved it by simply reverting from the back up which does not seem to be something you could do. Perhaps try to disable mods and test whether that fixed it, provided you have any. If I am not mistaken, it was some weird files with code names that caused it, maybe it's more a matter of cache.

EDIT: Game Folder > Base > Assets. There are files Civ6_<code>. Those were, If I remember correctly, the culprit, although I haven't changed anything in them.

Play with Harald Hardrada Norway and start raiding from the very first melee naval unit you can build the unique Viking longship and now you're not just roleplaying viking Viking traditions but also House Geyjoy Ironborn pillaging and murdering for the Drowned God...it's intoxicating:smoke:! Second game in a row playing in an archipelago with Norway.

City-states can declare war on you?

I never notticed it before (well coming back after a long while) but I saw a smiley on my city-states and it says less likely to declare war on me. Has anyone ever had a city-state declare war on them?

It would be cool if a city-state would declare war on another city-state. does that happen? if so how can we mod it to make it more frequent?

I think they only declare war if their suzerain does, but I could be mistaken.

In addition to this question, is there a way to conduct proxy wars in Civ 6? For example, in Civ V you could always gift units to a City state or to another Civilization in the game. Is there anything that can be done in support of a friend similar to this without actually declaring war on the 3rd civ?
I missed this too. There is a gifting units mod on steam that I use to do just that.

I think they only declare war if their suzerain does, but I could be mistaken.
THanks. ANy idea then whats with the smiley face. Maybe if the suzain declares war they won't? I didn't see any angry smileys on City states

THanks. ANy idea then whats with the smiley face. Maybe if the suzain declares war they won't? I didn't see any angry smileys on City states
Yes, if you have enough envoys invested in a city-state, I believe they'll either not follow their suzerain to war or be willing to peace out of it separately. I don't go to war much so I'm not 100% sure of the details.

Yes, if you have enough envoys invested in a city-state, I believe they'll either not follow their suzerain to war or be willing to peace out of it separately. I don't go to war much so I'm not 100% sure of the details.
The face is just a quick away for you to see if they are at peace with you or not. If a CS has no suzerain they will immediately drop out of any wars they are in and then immediately join any wars their new suzerain has ongoing, if they have any. There is no separate diplomacy with CS aside declaring war on them.

The face is just a quick away for you to see if they are at peace with you or not. If a CS has no suzerain they will immediately drop out of any wars they are in and then immediately join any wars their new suzerain has ongoing, if they have any. There is no separate diplomacy with CS aside declaring war on them.
Was this patched at some point? Because I know I've peaced out with city-states whose suzerain I was at war with when I had 6+ envoys with them, but this would have been a long time ago.

Was this patched at some point? Because I know I've peaced out with city-states whose suzerain I was at war with when I had 6+ envoys with them, but this would have been a long time ago.
No idea. I've never seen a "make peace" button but I've also looked for one either.

Hi all,

What is the mod that shows info on the UI in the upper frame on amenities (# of cities that are ecstatic, etc)?

I've been looking for it on the workshop to no avail. Thanks in advance

building off of what InsidiousMage said, make sure when you're trying to use the coastal raid on a tile that your privateer is directly adjacent to the tile you want to pillage, your privateer has at least 3 movement points remaining (it costs 3 movement points to pillage in general), and there's no cliff in the way (cliffs obstruct coastal raids)

Does that work for Free Cities? I lost my island city to negative loyalty pressure and I've got Privateers around it, waited turns so they have no movements used, but the city raid button isn't optional for some reason. The only actions I'm allowed are to bombard it or move. What am I doing wrong?

Another question: Is there a way to set the game so the sea doesn't rise as quickly? I like to play games with alot of Civs (around 25+) and they all burn coal to destroy the ice caps before I can get my coastal barriers built. I try to keep my emissions at 0 to hold off the rising sea level, but it seems to be futile. A handful of Civs always uses excessive resources for harmful C02 emissions, and alot of good coastal tiles, resources, and districts get flooded or submerged. I like to play enormous maps that are Continents and islands, with around 25 Civs.

Hi all,

What is the mod that shows info on the UI in the upper frame on amenities (# of cities that are ecstatic, etc)?

I've been looking for it on the workshop to no avail. Thanks in advance
Do you have a Youtube screen grab as an example? The only thing I can think of is the one you have to turn on inside the game, but that's actually a setting in the official version and not a mod. It also shows different info than what you're describing, so I don't think I'm thinking of the same one.

Does that work for Free Cities? I lost my island city to negative loyalty pressure and I've got Privateers around it, waited turns so they have no movements used, but the city raid button isn't optional for some reason. The only actions I'm allowed are to bombard it or move. What am I doing wrong?
when you say "city raid", are you trying to use coastal raids on city centers? because if so, that wont work, city centers can't be pillaged. i think only tile improvements and districts can be pillaged, unless the district is a gallic oppidum or an encampment (including zulu ikandas and vietnamese thanhs).
also note that when you pillage/coastal raid a district, you'll first pillage the highest tier building if theres any completed in that district, and only once youve burned thru all buildings will you pillage the district itself

when you say "city raid", are you trying to use coastal raids on city centers? because if so, that wont work, city centers can't be pillaged. i think only tile improvements and districts can be pillaged, unless the district is a gallic oppidum or an encampment (including zulu ikandas and vietnamese thanhs).
also note that when you pillage/coastal raid a district, you'll first pillage the highest tier building if theres any completed in that district, and only once youve burned thru all buildings will you pillage the district itself

Ah, yes... that would explain it. And Yes, I did mean coastal raid... and I was trying it on a city center of a Free City. Thanks for the info. :)

Hi friends! So I believe I own everything from Civ VI besides the New Frontier Pass and the new Leader Pass. I understand that if you own the Anthology (?), you get access to the Leader Pass for free, correct? So, I'm trying to make sure I go about this correctly.

My Steam shows two purchase options -- the new Frontier Pass is $14.79, while the Anthology is $13.02. Even though the Anthology is less, buying it will accomplish the same thing as buying the NFP and I'll get the *future* Leader pass content too, right? Just want to make sure, since the prices make me doubt myself (although I assume it's because bundles are often discounted or something).

PS Also, I'm on Mac and I see some bad reviews/buggy things -- should I wait or have the issues have been resolved? Thanks all, haven't been on this forum much recently but spent hundreds of hours back in the Civ V days and was one of my favorite places to go <3

Hi friends! So I believe I own everything from Civ VI besides the New Frontier Pass and the new Leader Pass. I understand that if you own the Anthology (?), you get access to the Leader Pass for free, correct? So, I'm trying to make sure I go about this correctly.
Yes.
My Steam shows two purchase options -- the new Frontier Pass is $14.79, while the Anthology is $13.02. Even though the Anthology is less, buying it will accomplish the same thing as buying the NFP and I'll get the *future* Leader pass content too, right? Just want to make sure, since the prices make me doubt myself (although I assume it's because bundles are often discounted or something).
Yes, it should. That's the deal that was offered - so long as you have all the pre-LP content, regardless of how you purchased it, you'll get the LP.
PS Also, I'm on Mac and I see some bad reviews/buggy things -- should I wait or have the issues have been resolved? Thanks all, haven't been on this forum much recently but spent hundreds of hours back in the Civ V days and was one of my favorite places to go <3
In theory, it should be fine. They're currently working through a bunch of bugs to polish the game. I don't see why they wouldn't go back and fix the bugginess of the LP. I'm assuming that you mean there is bugginess with the LP - there are too many bugs with main game to expect all to be fixed, so I'd expect only the most game-impacting ones to get fixed.

On the other hand, this is a company that made a single line error and practically broke the game, and despite it only taking 5 seconds to fix, ignored it for well over a year and didn't even acknowledge it until now. I'd like to say that we could trust them to fix any bugs, but the cynic in me says that we have to treat them with the attitude of "believe it when we see it". The problem is probably that top brass wanted them to drop the game after NFP, and that's why we saw nothing about it. Someone probably got through to them that leaving the game as-is will damage the brand so this is an olive branch. That concerns me in terms of bug fixes because they still want to drop it - so if there are any bugs left at the end... it's probably tough. That relates to your question because it means we can't guarantee that everything will be fixed. That goes doubly because Aspyr handles Mac and let's just say I won't be buying any Aspyr games again because of their attitude towards the game.

In short...in theory it should be fixed...but I, personally, would hold the attitude of "I'll believe it when I see it".

Yes.

Yes, it should. That's the deal that was offered - so long as you have all the pre-LP content, regardless of how you purchased it, you'll get the LP.

In theory, it should be fine. They're currently working through a bunch of bugs to polish the game. I don't see why they wouldn't go back and fix the bugginess of the LP. I'm assuming that you mean there is bugginess with the LP - there are too many bugs with main game to expect all to be fixed, so I'd expect only the most game-impacting ones to get fixed.

On the other hand, this is a company that made a single line error and practically broke the game, and despite it only taking 5 seconds to fix, ignored it for well over a year and didn't even acknowledge it until now. I'd like to say that we could trust them to fix any bugs, but the cynic in me says that we have to treat them with the attitude of "believe it when we see it". The problem is probably that top brass wanted them to drop the game after NFP, and that's why we saw nothing about it. Someone probably got through to them that leaving the game as-is will damage the brand so this is an olive branch. That concerns me in terms of bug fixes because they still want to drop it - so if there are any bugs left at the end... it's probably tough. That relates to your question because it means we can't guarantee that everything will be fixed. That goes doubly because Aspyr handles Mac and let's just say I won't be buying any Aspyr games again because of their attitude towards the game.

In short...in theory it should be fixed...but I, personally, would hold the attitude of "I'll believe it when I see it".
Awesome -- thank you so much for the detailed response! I've been out of touch here for a while and had no idea they broke the game like that 😬

I have to say, it's good to see some familiar old names even after I had been absent from this message board for well over a decade. (I see you Ekmek. IIRC, you made Constantine for a Civ IV mod. :) )

For Civ 6, is there a game setting you can adjust when starting a new game to slow down or lower the climate change so that lowland coastal tiles don't get flooded/submerged as soon in the game? The game seems out of balance when you add alot more civs into it. (Because they're all burning coal C02.)

Top Bottom