Random Rants #63: These Rants Don't Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Join the club in people wondering the very same question.

We'd offer cocktails, but we're too busy asking ourselves if that's all there is to life.

I can agree with that.

Also I just spoke to the ecuatorian guy and I think we parted in good terms? Kind of? I think I want to cry, I just don't really know if it's cause he hit the nail on the head or because I'm ashamed, cause the latter's been like my only thing that has made me cry in my whole life.

What did he say that 'hit the nail on the head' and made you want to cry? From what I've read here it seems like he's kind of a creeper to be honest.

stuff

If you people keep all this ranting up, I'll have to organise one CFCer party sometime in the next decade.

This happened about a month ago but I'm still irritated about it.

The NYT ran an editorial puff piece about Hillary Clinton "galvanizing" women voters. I wrote a comment saying, "Stop coating women with zinc, Hillary. It can't be good for them, no matter what the mining interests say."

They rejected it, because while they have an unlimited appetite for self-righteous drivel from their commentariat, humor is apparently not allowed. :mad:

Beer should actually be radiating in the IR, but gamma rays are considered a sign of poor brewing technique.

On the subject of radioactive booze, apparently radioisotope concentrations can be used to figure out whether old bottles of wine are authentic. Someone sold "Jefferson bottles" of wine supposedly owned by Thomas Jefferson. To test its authenticity, the levels of tritium, carbon-14, and cesium-137 were measured. Nuclear bomb tests greatly increased the amounts of tritium and carbon-14 in the environment between the 1940s and 1960s, and cesium-137 is completely manmade. Anything bottled before the 1940s will have comparatively small tritium and C-14 levels, and no cesium-137; anything after that will have more of the first two and some measurable level of Cs-137. Turned out the bottles were frauds, and the radioisotopes were used to date the wine to 1962.

tritium probably because it has a 12 year halflife, not atmospheric relation of it from bombs (that is true for other isotopes you mentioned)

at least i assume. if something has tritium in it, it isn't hundreds of years old (other than equilibrium tritium conditions in like the oceans since there is some small production of it from nitrogen)

There's still enough bomb tritium to be useful as an oceanic tracer. Apparently the bombs along with nuclear reactors increased the amount of tritium in the environment by 2 or 3 orders of magnitude, still easily enough to be detectable after 5 half-lives. Although, now that you mention it, even the background level of tritium from cosmic rays would might be enough to determine that the wine was not as old as claimed.

[insert rant here]

Because it is? A sour beer may, in many respects taste not unlike a wine in terms of acidity/sourness, but it is still a beer.

It's called beer because it hasn't been mixed with vodka.

I find it arguable, but my concern was not about that, it was about the alcohol amount. 12.5% of it in beer seems... unnatural.

Sour beer is usually in the 10-13% range. At least Wild Ales are. Berlinerweissen are on the lower end iirc.

Rant: the Runkeeper app.

Actually, I love this thing for tracking runs, times, exercise programs, and the like. But today, after a long buildup towards my 9 mile run goal, I had it. As I came up the hill and shut off the app, I was feeling ten feet tall. Then I get the message that I'm almost there. Turns out, 9.00 miles is not greater than 9 miles, so it says I didn't accomplish the goal.

Then run three more steps and to hell with the app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom