Status
Not open for further replies.
New page and no warning!!

I get a trojan block for this whole page every time I load it. Just parsing the link in Synsensa's post is freaking out MalwareBytes. Good thing I didn't follow it.
I use MalwareBytes and had no problem viewing the page.

This is a huge rant. Actually, it's a huge shock, and rant doesn't even begin to cover it.

One of the doctors at the local walk-in clinic was just murdered this morning. I don't know which one, as the article doesn't say.

article said:
Red Deer doctor dies after attack at walk-in medical clinic

Eyewitnesses say attacker was armed with hammer and machete

A Red Deer physician died Monday after he was attacked in an examination room at the Village Mall walk-in clinic.

RCMP said one man is in custody and the major crimes unit has taken over what police called "an active homicide investigation."

Anina Mullin said she was in the clinic with her 13-year-old daughter when she suddenly heard screams coming from an examination room.

She heard someone yell, "Help me, help me. Call 911."

Mullin said she heard banging and it sounded like the victim was trying to save himself and fight off the attacker.

She said a panicked receptionist enlisted help from two male patients who tried to get into the room, but Mullin said someone slammed the door in their faces. They then ran to the reception area, where Mullin was standing, waiting to be checked in.

"So I just grabbed my daughter's hand ... and we just ran out the door as fast as we could," she said.

The two men pushed against the door from the outside to make sure the attacker couldn't escape.

As Mullin watched from her car, police, paramedics and the fire department arrived outside the clinic.

"One of the cops went to the door with his gun drawn and poked his head in," Mullin said. "I heard him yell, 'Put that down or I will shoot.'"

She said someone threw a blood-soaked hammer at the police and it flew out the door and onto the cement pad in front of the clinic.

She heard the officer order the man to put a machete down. Then officers rushed inside the clinic.

Mullin saw officers lead out a man she described as "huge." He was wearing a grey hoodie and baggy grey pants and she said he had a disposable face mask that wasn't covering his mouth, so she could see him with "kind of a smirk on his face."

'Covered in blood'

Mullin watched in horror as her long-time family doctor was taken out on a stretcher.

"He was covered in blood from his head to his belt area. They were applying pressure to his forehead."

At this time, CBC News is not naming the doctor.

Mullin described her doctor as "amazing."

While she continued to watch, Mullin saw other staff members pour out of the clinic at 6230 50th Ave.

"They were just beside themselves," she said. "It was awful."

Dr. Christine Molnar, president of the Alberta Medical Association, said the news of the attack came as a shock and said the organization will be reaching out to staff at the Red Deer clinic.

"I have just learned of this horrific attack on a Red Deer physician," she said.

"I can't express my sense of disbelief and great sorrow for his family, his colleagues and the Red Deer community. The AMA will be reaching out to local medical staff to learn how we can best provide support at this time."

Red Deer Mayor Tara Veer offered her condolences on Monday afternoon, calling the incident a "horrific tragedy."

"I wish to offer my deepest condolences to the victim's family, friends, loved ones, and to the medical community in our city," Veer said in a statement on the city's website.

Veer also offered thanks to first responders and citizens who supported at the scene of the attack. Those who are feeling trauma after seeing the attack should call Red Deer City Victim Services for assistance, Veer added.

Dr. Peter Bouch, a general practitioner in Red Deer and spokesperson for the Red Deer Primary Care Network, said he felt total surprise and horror that someone would do this to a physician.

"It is shocking that somebody would bring a weapon to a physician's office," Bouch said.

"You've been trained years ago on how to manage difficult patients, but when they come out wielding a weapon, I don't think anybody's prepared for that."

Bouch said it's still unclear to him what the full effect of this incident will be, but he said he expects it to affect more than just family physicians. He said he thinks patients are going to be feeling that danger when they visit their doctor as well.

"A physician's office is a place of safety, and it's clearly being disrupted now," Bouch said.

A candlelight vigil for the doctor and his family has been planned for Friday at Red Deer City Hall.
I've been to this clinic several times, both to take my dad for exams and for myself during the last couple of years when I had a situation that couldn't wait for my regular doctor (last time was in June). It's only a few blocks from here, in a moderately busy strip mall (some places have closed due to the pandemic).

I hope neither of my doctors were the one who was killed, but I'm very much afraid it was. :(

Although mail is once again arriving from the US :), it's not yet going the other way. :dubious:

This means I still can't send in my tax returns. Both my US and California returns must go to certain PO boxes. I can't use commercial delivery because those p.o. boxes only accept mail from the US mail, and the only way for me to get it into the US mail is via Filipino mail. :wallbash:

Although mail is once again arriving from the US :), it's not yet going the other way. :dubious:

This means I still can't send in my tax returns. Both my US and California returns must go to certain PO boxes. I can't use commercial delivery because those p.o. boxes only accept mail from the US mail, and the only way for me to get it into the US mail is via Filipino mail. :wallbash:
Maybe you should try to find someone to help you with long-range homing pigeons.

If you don't have anyone you know personally in the US to send it to, let me know. My mother works for the IRS, so I could get info from her on what other options you might have to get at least your federal return sent in.

You don't have any friends in the US to whom you could send it first?
It sounds like the U.S. isn't allowing incoming mail from the Phillipines.

After a half-hour call with a nurse, I'm now off to COVID-19 testing.
Good luck! And maybe you can find out if your earlier illness you mentioned was actually Covid.

:hug:

British tests only focus on the first five days after symptoms appear, apparently. After that and you're told not to bother testing.

You don't have any friends in the US to whom you could send it first?
I'm waiting, hoping two-way mail opens up soon. If so, I can get an immediate postmark. :)

Sending my returns via someone in the US would delay them getting a postmark by ~ 3 weeks. The tax lords should have no great problem. For the last ten years my returns have been virtually identical. :deal::deal::deal::deal::deal::deal::deal::deal::deal::deal:

After a half-hour call with a nurse, I'm now off to COVID-19 testing.

Too many people, so I had to go home. Oh well.

I'm 95% certain it's not COVID, anyways. I have no respiratory symptoms of any kind. But that was the final recommendation from a registered nurse. :dunno:

Standing in line at the local pizza place at lunch, there was maybe 12 people, 1 of whom was a uniformed employee of a local public-safety agency. Eleven of us were wearing masks. I'll let you guess which one of us thought he was too cool for school. (I'll also let you guess which department he was an employee of.) It's an outdoor space, so I thought maybe he'd put his mask on when got to the takeout window, but nope, he walked right up to the window, with its "No mask, no service" sign, seemingly unperturbed. He was right up on the people in front of him in line, too. Everybody else was giving people some space, maybe 4 feet, rather than 6, but he wasn't even doing that much. It wasn't some kind of "elites vs the working man" class thing, either, I was probably the only guy in line who showers before work instead of after work, if you know what I mean. And, to be fair, as I was leaving, I saw two Dept of Corrections guys had gotten in line behind me, and they were both wearing masks, so #notallcops, I guess. But, really, is the person at the takeout window supposed to be like, "Sorry, officer, 'no mask, no service' means no mask, no service"? I mean, c'mon, ya douche.

too cool for school.
I'm not sure what this phrase's actual context is, but it does remind me of a photo-op posted on my MLA's Facebook page recently. She's the Minister of Education and keeps insisting that of course school can proceed as normal this fall. All that has to happen is that the school boards will give out two reusable masks per child for them to wear, and the teachers should "tidy up a bit" at the end of the day.

Personally, I plan to stay as far away from any school-aged kid as possible this winter (I do anyway, due to their propensity for spreading colds, the flu, and measles). There is no way in hell that social distancing is possible in the public schools here, since the education minister has refused to follow the guidelines of other countries - 15 kids max per classroom, staggered class schedules, increased sanitation, more teachers... she whined, "But it would cost too much money to hire 13,000 extra teachers and there's not enough time to find extra room to split the classes in half (most classrooms here have around 30 kids).

Hello, Adriana LaGrange! You've had FIVE MONTHS to figure all this out. A bunch of teachers and assistants and aides were fired either before or back in March when the schools were closed and education went online. They could be hired back. The recent B.Ed. program graduates could be hired. The many other teachers with Education credentials could be hired. Substitute teachers will be worth their weight in gold, if regular teachers get sick, but they're shuffled aside and ignored.

No space? There are numerous recreational facilities that are still closed. That Walmart they went to is located in a mall with over a dozen empty retail spaces, each of which could easily accommodate a class of socially-distanced children. There are empty retail spaces elsewhere in the city, and Calgary has whole office towers nearly empty due to the bottoming-out of the oil prices. Yes, it would cost to rent these spaces. But it would be safer for everyone.

As for paying for it? Jason Kenney established a $30M/year "war room" (aka propaganda room) to spin his idiotic notions that climate change isn't real and oil and gas are really good for the environment. To pay for this he's made cuts here and there and all over the place (defunding a critical forest firefighting unit, canceling the cost of living increase for AISH, cutting funding for numerous post-secondary education facilities - oddly, the faith-based and private ones weren't touched, only the public ones - and so forth).

So anyway, back to the photo-op. Kids are supposed to wear masks to and in school. Walmart wants people to wear masks in their stores. Walmart doesn't want entire families going shopping at the same time. So naturally the photo-op shows the Minister of Education (masked) with her horde of grandchildren (unmasked) in the local Walmart (funny how a photographer just happened to be there), in defiance of what's customary, if not actually required (we don't have a mask bylaw here), and I have to wonder if the other woman in one of the photos actually consented to have her and her child be part of a government propaganda photo.

Standing in line at the local pizza place at lunch, there was maybe 12 people, 1 of whom was a uniformed employee of a local public-safety agency. Eleven of us were wearing masks. I'll let you guess which one of us thought he was too cool for school. (I'll also let you guess which department he was an employee of.) It's an outdoor space, so I thought maybe he'd put his mask on when got to the takeout window, but nope, he walked right up to the window, with its "No mask, no service" sign, seemingly unperturbed. He was right up on the people in front of him in line, too. Everybody else was giving people some space, maybe 4 feet, rather than 6, but he wasn't even doing that much. It wasn't some kind of "elites vs the working man" class thing, either, I was probably the only guy in line who showers before work instead of after work, if you know what I mean. And, to be fair, as I was leaving, I saw two Dept of Corrections guys had gotten in line behind me, and they were both wearing masks, so #notallcops, I guess. But, really, is the person at the takeout window supposed to be like, "Sorry, officer, 'no mask, no service' means no mask, no service"? I mean, c'mon, ya douche.

Cops casually break a lot of laws they are supposed to be enforcing. Seatbelts, Handheld phones while driving. Speed limits. They're above it all.

But, really, is the person at the takeout window supposed to be like, "Sorry, officer, 'no mask, no service' means no mask, no service"? I mean, c'mon, ya douche

It's certainly an option. That's what I tell my guards to do for any cop that comes walking into city hall without a mask. Of course we have a little more authority on our side with that one. If the cop refuses to wear a mask, my guards are supposed to get all the information they can about the cop and turn it in to the city's HR department so they can take disciplinary action against the offending officer.

Well, that's because you actually can back it up with ‘we're your boss’, but in most cases people cannot.

Well, that's because you actually can back it up with ‘we're your boss’, but in most cases people cannot.

True. However if there is a mandatory mask order in place, they could try filing a complaint with whatever local government those cops work for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom