Random Raves XLVI: 145,784 and Counting: Every story happens one word at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valka D'Ur

Hosting Iron Pen in A&E
Retired Moderator
For those who don't read Roman numerals, this is Random Raves #46.

Spoiler Old threads here! :
Random Raves
Random Raves Two
Random Raves Three: Happiness and Joy
Random Raves Four: Momentary Diversions on the Road to the Grave
Random Raves V: Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive
Random Raves VI: Put on a Happy Face
Random Raves VII: I liek ma gun, liek ma gun!!
Random Raves VIII: Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Random Raves IX: Walking on Sunshine
Random Raves X: Success Tactics
Random Raves 11: It's getting better all the tiiiiiiiiiiiiiime!
Random Raves XII: I grabbed two beers and bailed.
Random Raves XIII: Christmas Presents On a Soma Holiday
Random Raves XIV: The Rave of the Century
Random Raves XV: Like Skipping Through A Field of Flowers
Random Raves XVI: Runnin' Down a Dream That Never Would Come To Me
Random Raves XVII: A sporran in my kitten!
Random Raves XVIII: Life is a beautiful woman
Random Raves XIX: My nipples explode with delight!
Random Raves XX: Unexpectedly Brilliant in Twenty Different Ways
Random Raves XXI: The Server Is Working
Random Raves XXII: Danger of Happiness Overload
Random Raves XXIII: Everything went better than expected
Random Raves XXIV: Your face will melt off
Random Raves XXV: DANCE PARTY
Random Raves XXVI: I Get High With a Little Help from My Friends
Random Raves XXVII: And what in the blue blazes is a ROFLcopter?
Random Raves XXVIII: Death by Snu Snu
Random Raves ΚΘʹ: Kick it up a notch! (term is over!)
Random Raves XXX: 100-Proof Proof of Bolshevik Hegemony
Random Raves XXXI: New Year Raveolutions
Random Raves ΛΒʹ: Let us eat cake
Random Raves XXXIII: Let us all eat chocolate and rejoice
Random Raves ΛΔʹ: Tank Goodness
Random Raves XXXV: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems
Random Raves XXXVI: HAPPINESS ENFORCED BY STRICT MODERATION!!!
Random Raves 37 - Already CFC is returning to harmony
Random Raves #38: Raving Ravephats
Random Raves #39: Life is good
Random Raves 40: Happy new year
Random Raves XLI: One More Trip Around the Sun!
Random Raves XLII: How Amazingly Unlikely is Your Birth!
Random Raves XLIII: Ai has THIS many penguins (and a dozen moar besides)!
Random Raves ΜΔ: Crate Expectations
Random Raves XLV: You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

The six-figure number in this thread title is not random. It's the total number of words I have (in four separate files) that I've done for my NaNoWriMo projects since November 1, 2018. Most of those words are for my Kingmaker: Rise to the Throne project (novelizing the computer game and expanding the story). The rest are for a different game novelization project (Park Ranger) that got stalled last November due to writer's block. There are many more words handwritten in a notebook and on numerous scraps of paper that I haven't typed yet. Since November 1, I have not gone a single day without writing something to add to my stories. It might be thousands of words, or only a single sentence. But they've grown, from blank pages to what they are now.

One thing that all these years of doing NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Competition, which is really international) has taught me is that stories - any story - happens one word at a time.

Life happens one action at a time, whether that action is big and noticed by many, or small and unassuming and only known to the person who does it. Sometimes the action in question is just the simple act of breathing. No matter what, it happens one at a time.

How do you count contractions?

I'm not sure. I use Open Office, which counts words differently from the way the NaNoWriMo site counts them. I regularly get cheated out of anywhere from dozens to hundreds of words, so I always have to write a couple of thousand extra to be safe. The number in the title is the Open Office total.

I did that in LibreOffice and got two words, seven letters.

Did you type the full stop? Looks like it's just counting characters.

Can't believe it took 7 posts for someone to say how crappy the title is.

The title's fine. I think you're looking for the rants thread? :rolleyes:

Ah yes. Two words, eight characters.

Can't believe it took 7 posts for someone to say how crappy the title is.
You really didn't have to say that.

The point of the title is that I'm proud of what I've accomplished, and I think everyone else should be proud of what they've accomplished. Everything happens one action at a time, and it all adds up (hopefully to something good).

I did consider adding a poll to the thread, regarding whether people like the title. I can still do that; the thread tools allow it.

No, but I thought it was tradition.

My gf invited me to attend her swearing-in as a US citizen on June 15th, she made it through her interview today!
Congratulations! (I think... Hmm...)

She doesn't have to swear allegiance to the current executive, does she...?)

(And which country did she defect from?) ;)

No, but I thought it was tradition.

It is.

On Friday I was invited to a job interview via Skype in Portugal. Today the same for Spain. And for the email I sent to France, someone apparently hit “reply all“, and said in French “Not bad. Need to check for eligibility“ (and something else google translate couldn't handle).
So quite happy right now :D, my CV is rocking it. Also sent out only 5 applications, great ratio :D.

The reply all button usually is a bad thing. Nice to hear a story where it wasn't. Hopefully congrats will be in order.

Twice in recent months, someone has managed to email the entire company by mistake. Each time there then follows about 70 replies from people saying "please take me off this list". And of course they also reply to everyone else. Then some other people reply with "stop replying to all!"... to everyone. One of those people had even elected to switch on notifications when his email was read, so he probably regretted that. The irony being that if everyone had just ignored it no-one would have got more than a single email.

IT's not that tough folks. :lol: :lol: :lol: The buttons are usually labeled pretty clearly.

This weekend I went up to the Brainerd International Raceway for a high performance driving course (think racing but without competing against other cars). I had an instructor in my car with me to help guide me through braking, turn-in points on corners, and hitting the corner apex to best maintain speed through the corners and track. By the end of the weekend I was routinely able to hit 105 mph on the long curve (corners 1-3 for those who know/care). On the 2.5 mile course I managed to get a best lap time of 2:13, although my times were usually around 2:18 to 2:20. For someone of my skill level and car (Scion FRS), which is fairly low on power compared to the horde of BMW M2s and M3s in my run group, hitting a 2:13 time was probably about the best I could hope for.
I also got a ride from an instructor in his Porsche GT4 around the course, to which the only response is "Holy [Censored]".

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get any video of me going around the track. I did get a couple photos though. First is of my car in the paddock, with a BMW 235i behind me and the GT4 I rode in behind it. Second picture is my car after a session with the hood up to help the engine and brakes cool down. The Corvette behind me was also in my run group. Despite my car being able to take the corners at higher speed and brake quicker, I was no match for his power and was easily able to overtake me when I instructed him to pass me - and I was going flat out!
C4F68788-D3D0-40F9-A33E-DB6564723A47.jpeg

043AE8A8-9D95-4026-B12A-ED27A440A5C9.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom