Random Thoughts Sechs: Eeeeehhhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oaios? I'd have thought that would be Agios, but there's no gamma.

More Hellenic pedagogy!

a) That O is a definite article, singular number, masculine, in the nominative case (it's pronounced ‘ho’).
b) The gamma and alpha are written together, just as A and E can be written Æ in the Latin script.

(transliterated: ho ágios nikólaos)

At least the AE ligature is obviously a ligature; the AG ligature in Greek just looks like A with a flourished serif.

Life hack: You can feel a bit drunk from alcohol free beer because your brain associates the taste with alcohol.

At least the AE ligature is obviously a ligature; the AG ligature in Greek just looks like A with a flourished serif.
It looks like A¯ (sort of, depends on what font you have on your computer) which is not so different from ΑΓ… are you familiar with the concept of an r rotunda? It's not that different.

(and of course this is one of the things that is completely obvious to somebody who uses the script with some decent regularity but indecipherable for barb- er, outsiders)
Life hack: You can feel a bit drunk from alcohol free beer because your brain associates the taste with alcohol.
OK, tell us the whole anecdote.

No, I was not familiar with that concept.

I learned about it during a wiki-walk a few years ago. I occasionally do write r's like that. :)

I've just discovered that an old book I've been reading was almost certainly owned by a US Army Corps of Engineers officer who was killed in WWII. He survived the Bataan Death March and Camp Cabanatuan but perished in the sinking of the Japanese "hell ship" Brazil Maru along with hundreds of other allied prisoners.
https://dpaa.secure.force.com/dpaaProfile?id=a0Jt000001BhHYfEAN
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56771439/frederick-gilman-saint

Little emotional at the moment having grown up hearing the stories. I bought it for less than a dollar at a used book store. Not sure what I'll to do with it.

Read it in honor of its previous owner?

To a separate discussion upthread: might have thought St. Saturninus of Corfu would be the patron saint of hot tubs.

Read it in honor of its previous owner?
The poster who would like to be referred to as ‘The Poster’ is right.
Gori the Grey said:
To a separate discussion upthread: might have thought St. Saturninus of Corfu would be the patron saint of hot tubs.
Would you care to expand?

His martyrdom involved being boiled (a bunch of Corfu martyrs, as it turns out).

"would like to"! Hrrrmmmph.

He might as well be the patron saint of modern-day Irish cuisine then.

This showed up in my spam-box:

Not only did they have to specify it was "adult" sex (which has disturbing implications), but eggplants aren't usually what I associate with it.

EDIT: A friend told me that eggplant is emoji slang for male genitals. Must have a horrible disease then.

Last edited:
I...won't ask.

I like cords better myself, most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom