Random Thoughts XIII - Radioenergopithecocracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Polar bears and Paddington are nothing alike.

That's… the whole point of my post, Valka.

'k.

I'm in a bad mood at the moment since some jerk on TrekBBS just accused me of posting insider information on an upcoming season of Survivor and is evidently incapable of understanding that I'm not the one who posted it. The contestant I was talking about is in the final 5 and has a very good chance of winning tonight.

The contestant this jerk is talking about isn't in this season. Her season hasn't even aired yet. Actually, I don't think they've started filming yet.

JFC, I wish people would actually read before shooting off their virtual mouths.

clearly not too many Tina Turner fans in CFC .

I keep going back and forth on whether I want to have my username changed to the one I've been using on social media for the last few years. I tend to be a lot more flippant (which is saying something) on other sites than here because I have more respect for this community versus random strangers on Reddit or YT, and I like the privacy of not having all my online doings connected to the name username. At the same time, it feels kinda cowardly to hide behind a name I no longer actually use, like I'm willing to say things on other sites and hide it from y'all even after I just said I respect you guys. That, and it'd just be more convenient to have the same one.

But OTOH we've known you by such a username for a triskaidecade and counting and also
I like the privacy of not having all my online doings connected to the name username
Privacy, man!

Last edited:
I keep going back and forth on whether I want to have my username changed to the one I've been using on social media for the last few years. I tend to be a lot more flippant (which is saying something) on other sites than here because I have more respect for this community versus random strangers on Reddit or YT, and I like the privacy of not having all my online doings connected to the name username. At the same time, it feels kinda cowardly to hide behind a name I no longer actually use, like I'm willing to say things on other sites and hide it from y'all even after I just said I respect you guys. That, and it'd just be more convenient to have the same one.

If it would be more convenient for you, and outweighs your concerns about privacy and the possibility that you've perhaps said something elsewhere that might annoy people here, go for it.

I've found it helpful to have a variety of usernames on different sites. Some folks here have been told one or two of the other names I use elsewhere, as I've extended an invitation to them to say hi if they ever decide to join those sites, or if there's a post or two from there that I've shared here and wanted to make clear that I'm the person who made those posts.

Some usernames are for different purposes. There's one I use on news sites for my political views, since using my real name on there would only invite the crazy part of Canada to harass me (not kidding; I make no secret of my political leanings online and there are some far-right UCP supporters here who have stated on social media that if the NDP wins the provincial election coming up next week, they will hunt down anyone who voted NDP). Honestly, the CBC was insane for thinking they could, or should even try, to enforce a "real names" policy.

That policy made some people use real names, but there are a lot of Star Trek characters, Archie comics characters, and other SF/F characters posting on those comment pages and whoever accepts/rejects the account names for that site has ignored them. We even have a dead Prime Minister posting there. As for me, I picked a character from one of my favorite SF books - one that isn't that popular or well-known - and it was accepted. The only issues I've had with it is that some people assume I'm male and misspelled my own name, and some other people assume I'm from India and have told me to "go back where you came from". I tell them I'm already where I came from - I was born, raised, and have always lived in Red Deer.

Sometimes I've had to make a slight change because the forum software doesn't allow spaces between words or doesn't accept apostrophes in usernames.

At a certain point, I switched from siloing my online presence to converging almost all my identities. It's helped me be more present and less dismissive. Though it also has resulted in more instances of people with grudges following me from platform to platform, and being able to do so because it's offered on a platter.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably think it over some more.

clearly not too many Tina Turner fans in CFC .
I was a little too sad to compose the OP of the suitable thread.

The idea of having the same username for all my social media accounts is a very novel one to me. I've always used very different names for my accounts; even the ImgBB account linked to my Reddit account does not have the same name as the Reddit account.

Unless I want other people to identify me and interact with me on other platforms and maintain a coherent online presence I see no compelling reason to use the same username for all my accounts. I am under no obligation to present such-and-such facets of myself that I would keep hidden, nor is anyone else similarly beholden. I am a firm believer in treating others as they present themselves, even when I know more about them than they let on, to the point of treating a user differently from thread to thread, even if I am at loggerheads with them in one.

I am a firm believer in treating others as they present themselves, even when I know more about them than they let on, to the point of treating a user differently from thread to thread, even if I am at loggerheads with them in one.

Hm. How people get treated depends to some extent on how they treat others. For example, there are people on TrekBBS who likely can't imagine why they've been on my ignore list for the last dozen+ years. Treat me like crap, and that's how that happens. The only time when such people don't get put on ignore is if it would make all their threads disappear, and I see no reason not to post in a thread just because the OP has been a jerk to me.

But yeah, it's possible to have an intense argument with someone in one thread and a fun conversation in another. Happens all the time here.

Hm. How people get treated depends to some extent on how they treat others. For example, there are people on TrekBBS who likely can't imagine why they've been on my ignore list for the last dozen+ years. Treat me like crap, and that's how that happens.
Seems like you have had some very intense interactions. :wow: While I have had my run-ins with other people on multiple platforms, thankfully nothing so acrimonious that I have had to resort to blocking, though I can see that happening if someone insists on unduly hounding me

Seems like you have had some very intense interactions. :wow: While I have had my run-ins with other people on multiple platforms, thankfully nothing so acrimonious that I have had to resort to blocking, though I can see that happening if someone insists on unduly hounding me

There are people there who hold a grudge about the most trivial things. Hate nuTrek and say so? You'll forever be on some peoples' <censored> list. Two of the moderators have not let up on me for my opinions since 2009, and redoubled their attitudes since I really didn't like the second nuTrek movie in 2012. I got dogpiled one day, with half a dozen people DEMANDING that I tell them TWO things I liked about the 2nd movie. I came up with some of the music and one line uttered by nuSpock. That was enough to get a couple of people to back off, but the others have just kept the grudge going.

And then a few days ago there was an argument with one of the people who participates in the Star Trek Hangman game. He goes by the closed captions on whatever DVDs or streaming service he uses. I don't have access to any of that, so I use a transcript site.

At this point I don't care about things like how the line is spoken. If he's going to obsess about that, we're all going to have to study Russian and Scottish accents in order to play this. I care that the letters and punctuation that people guess match the letters and punctuation I put into the puzzle (mine match the transcript site). So I put this guy on ignore for the time being and sat out the current round. I'll rejoin the game after someone else wins who is a better sport about it.

...could be, that at the Caspian sea there is a special installation (radar ?) that is needed to guide those missiles. In that case this installation should be an important target when the Ukrainian offensive is started.
russians be fools and half the missiles they launch do not start and simply crash . If this happened over Russia people would see the wreckage and rebel or something . So , the Russians do it over the Caspian where there is no evidence left ...

if not passable as an answer , every cruise missile flight becomes training for attacking targets in America where they would indeed launch over the sea .

if still not passable as an answer , America would hurt Putin's oil smuggling if the missiles were not kept to a limited frontage where the mighty glorious Western systems might shoot them all . You know , oil smuggling is important with oil percentages to Western leadership (eventually) so , Putin not only wastes his strategic weaponry but uses older missiles as decoys as well . And when some accident happens and an old one crosses all that and ends up deep in Poland , it happened 6 months ago because Patriot batteries are in action now .

Honestly, the CBC was insane for thinking they could, or should even try, to enforce a "real names" policy.
I have no objection to this policy.

Sincerely,
Donald Key Hotie

Though it also has resulted in more instances of people with grudges following me from platform to platform, and being able to do so because it's offered on a platter.
Simple solution: have no other life outside CFC and its immediate environs. That way all the people who don’t like you are … concentrated in one space, y’know actually I’m not sure I thought this through.

Hope everyone has had a restful decoration day.

It's election day here. Nothing is restful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom