Realpolitik II - Dark Storm Rising

OOC: You guys made me do this. It's 10 days after elections and I haven't even been PM'd for clarifications. At all. All we're getting is Arya and Sonereal bickering back and forth.

Plan time limit imposed - Thursday evening. If I do not have a plan by then I'll play the thing myself. Alone. You want that?

-L

Sonereal's Stance
You do realise that by deeming assassinations illegal but allowing the guild to exist you would be in effect placing a underworld illegal REGULATION on the guild.

I.E the guild could still take jobs but they would be illegal and once performed the assassin would be jailed, thus limiting the number of assassinations to the number of guild members minus those who wish to remain un-jailed to take positions...

The guild could still operate it would just become a black market commodity instead and mostly viewed in a more negative light by the politicians.

That's the point, Ravus. I'd rather simply deem assassinations illegal, then destroy the guild WHEN it fails to comply with simple "murder is bad" laws.

Vice-President SouthernKings Stance

I don't see why the guild would exist if this happened. If the Guild has to remain neutral what would be the point of it asking for votes in payment?

A better idea If the truth is a big deal, is you could all pass a statue of limitations, That the guild has to reveal all the buyers once two-three elections have passed. That way political fall out will be minimized for the buyers and the victims will still know who cause them old wounds.

I don't actually support this but i'm clarifying things.

I don't support this either, because murder is murder. Although I'd rather jail the people who caused the taking of a life, the assassin is just as guilty for actually doing it.

Administration Inaction
This is why in times of controversy the government needs a strong hand. Any decision is better then no decision at this point.

What exactly is the problem with the plan? It's the first turnset, we have two cities and hardly anything else. 30 turns is all you have to plan for. You allready gave a brief overview of what you wanted, polish that up and send it to LH in PM to advance the game. Unless you are trying to optimize a city for rushing a wonder i really don't understand what the hold up could be. At this point a plan can be thought and typed up in 10 minutes... is there arguing in the government over how to proceed?

If Sparthage isn't around Southern King can just seize power to send it off. That is what the Vice Presidential position is there for. Yes he becomes Governer of Washington in the mid-terms but for now his main power is in taking command when things go wonky.

The administration must make a decision, or stand down. That's my perspective on this issue.

Opposition Inaction
Dem Taqat, The Guild is playing a mainly neutral part inbetween the Administration and opposition at the moment but perhaps a time limit should be issued before we call for a vote of no confidence? It's allready been over a week since they got elected.

Perhaps give them another week at most? A time limit could help them get their act together.

-

Guildmaster Ravus

DT has talked to most of the opposition, but we're like freaking molasses in freaking January too. If it were up to me, I'd call for a vote of no confidence at 6 PM eastern standard time tomorrow, but it ain't up to me.

@Arya: the opposition's main purpose is not to harass the administration, but to provide a duality to the administration.

Merely because the majority of the opposition is more concerned about the existence of the assassin's guild rather than it being taken over does not mean we are not doing our jobs.

In short, merely because the opposition is not making the same arguments you would if you you were us does not mean we are not opposing the admin. Now hush before someone wise uses your fury to further their own goals.

@Aoudis: murder is murder. The End.

EDIT: DT, you're gonna hate me...It isn't up to me, but I feel I have no choice.

If this body is incapable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I call for a vote of no confidence in the current administration.

I want to say that SouthernKing’s proposal is a good one. I would be fine with the guild if it wasn’t completely anonymous.

VoNC has been called.

Everyone posts either "yea" or "nay" within the next 48 hours. If the majority is "yea" we shall have a repeat election.(minus NPC votes)

"Yes" "I support the vote" "No" "I don't like this", or any phrasing of vote other then "Yea" or "Nay" WILL NOT BE COUNTED.

-L

@LH, I PMed the plan to you. What’s going on?

Well, I was going to wait until Friday for this, but with the time limit LH imposed I think having the vote now Is a good Idea.

I VOTE YEA

Arya, were you reading to some of my posts? I have been calling for the governmnet to act, particularly on chat. I decided to give them a little extra Time because Sparthage had RL Issues, but I asked SK to start acting just a few hours before your post.

DT
Voting :bump:

...What? I make one comment about a call of no-confidence as a warning and next time i look it's happening?

@LH in the last RP only the party leaders could vote on the no-confidence issue. Is it different in this case?

@Ninja, by plan do you mean you sent the actual administration plan of to advance the turnset? If LH will confirm that it was waiting to go it could cause people to be more confident about the admin and vote "yes".

Clarification on the plan issue?

-

And on the assassin question now that more interesting events have arisen: I'd prefer illegality to loss of anonymous clients. Of course i'd prefer legality with no nationalization most of all... *shrug*. Making the assassin ability illegal would curb the Vigilante Justice we are seeing now as well.

I vote yea.

I vote Yea.

@Ninja, by plan do you mean you sent the actual administration plan of to advance the turnset? If LH will confirm that it was waiting to go it could cause people to be more confident about the admin and vote "yes".

Clarification on the plan issue?

We’ve got a plan, Sparthage just hasn’t sent it yet. I sent it saying that if Sparthage, SK or Aysee hadn’t sent a plan by Thursday then use the plan that I sent them which is Sparthage’s plan. He just hasn’t said it.

Anyways, if what I’m saying makes no sense it is because I’m tired so yeah.

I vot Yea.

Regarding Vote of No Confidence: NEA

I believe we need to allow the government to attempt to meet the deadline imposed. If they cannot, the turn set should commence. That being said, this does not look good for the first coalition government. We need strong, effective leaders to stand up and make something happen!

Regarding the Assassinations Guild:

I stand on my previous stance. The Guild itself should not be viewed as a political party, rather it is an organization. It commits heinous, and illegal crimes, but it does provide a service for this particular environment. Should the Guild wish to continue it should, but it's members should remain quiet about their enrollment, involvement, and recruitment. I do not agree in their methods, but I do not believe that it is an organization that can be outlawed. Should we declare it illegal it will just push itself deeper underground, and then the Guild may find reason to begin killing indiscriminately. I urge you all to put to rest this argument about the Guild. Should you require it's services contact them, but do not flat out explain to the world that you used them. These are matters left in the shadows.

-Draknith
Independent Voter

Nay.

OOC: I'm really sorry about not being active recently. I've only had the opportunity to read the posts for the past few days. School has been a killer as we're about t finish another grading period and all my teachers are giving out tests and projects.

My stance on the Assassin's Guild:
The Assassin's Guild will not be outlawed. However, any future assassins caught trying to assassinate players (Government or Opposition) will be arrested and given a public trial for their crimes. If the assassin can give evidence of the player who ordered the assassination, then the assassin's punishment will be cut in half. The player who ordered the assassination will then be jailed for a full term.

OOC Again: Perhaps a way to make the Assassin's Guild slightly less lucrative would be to give a small chance that the information is revealed (ex. Flip a coin 5 times, if it lands on heads all five times, then the plot is revealed). I don't know what you guys think about that.

Votes so far:

Dem Taqat- Yea
LordNwahs- Yea
Hoplitejoe-Nay
Arya- Yea
Tambien- Yea
Red_spy- Yea
Draknith- Nay
Sparthage- Nay :p
NukeKnockOut- Yea
Mosher- Yea

Yea: 7
Nay: 3

@Draknith- We need strong, effective leaders; Yes. The Horizons Government has yet to show either of these qualities. That is why we are having this vote, to trash the Inactive and unresponsive government we have now, and replace it with a more pro-active one, that we can count on to keep order in the streets.

@LH- Is the Thursday deadline still being enforced with the VoNC? Also, when do the Votes close for the VoNC?

DT
Tallying the Votes :coffee:

OOC: Sparthage: it isn't about your absence, it's about the failure of the admin as a whole to act. It is the job of the vice president to take over for the president in case of illness, injury, death, or absence. This is about the squabbling of the admin and their inability to act decisively, including in the Arya/Sonereal murder thing. I have nothing against you personally. it's just that like LH said, it's been ten days, also known as 8 days too many.

(Which means a lot of this is about SouthernKing's failure to step up to the plate and put his foot down)

We need a strong government that will not only act promptly, but will act. Virtually any action at this point would be acceptable when compared to inaction.

I vote Yea

Dem Taqat-

I appreciate your response to my resolve regarding the current administration. I understand that as opposition leader you are more inclined to request this government be replaced. Although I believe we should give this first government the benefit of the doubt, I also agree with you that something needs to be done. However, we need to get things moving. I believe that the government should submit their plan by Thursday to LH and the common people. Should this deadline not be met, we should allow the turn set to commence. Let the second government take it's place and try again.

Respectfully,
Draknith
Independent Politician

Top Bottom