ROTQM8 - Rune Oaths Terrify Quarrying Midgets

The scene is set, inside the cavernous cathedral that is the "Holy Shrine of Dave, bringer of Runes of Kilmorph to the Dwarven Peoples" (the front door in particular is enormous just to accomodate the name), towards the back and a little to the right is a smaller door, with a smaller name enscribed on it, "Department of Religious Paraphenalia". Within are seated 10 identically dressed dwarves around a table, involved in an animated discussion.

-Dave hasn't deen seen for a whole cycle, we have to assume he is gone for good.
-Does anyone know what actually happened to him?
-How was I supposed to know she was actually a he?
-Our supplies of authentic earwax and snot for holy relics is running dangerously low.
-I can't believe how nice these silk undies feel.
-Toenail clippings have been extinguished for weeks.
-And then the vicar said, "I don't think you're a fishmonger, I just think you've done a plop in the wrong lavatory."
-How are we to fund the new annex celebrating Dave's conquest of the wood nymph's?
-I have an idea...

<silence>

-Novelty replica authentic Dave hammers

Spoiler :
For those that don't know our world spell, which I cast last turn, gives us a golden hammer in each city. These hammers can be attached to a military unit, giving them +1 strength or merged a a Great Engineer in each city. Jet's plan was to merge them in our GP farm, I have merged the one that popped there and sent 3 over that way with scouts. The rest will be up to you Jet.

Changed civics to City States and Religion to get full happiness and cost efficiencies.

Sabathiel brought a few troops to the gates of our eastern city, so I moved the army that way but it took the full 15 for them to arrive, we don't have much in the way of troops but should be able to take down the Bannor with Bambur and Barnaxus (who has promotions other than combat :mad:.

Research was Sailing and then Currency (not finished).

The khazad keep feeding XP to the Amurites, we might have to help him out there.

I also tried to get a wood golem out exploring for the other AI but he ran into a dead end.

Other stuff may or may not have happened.

Jet is UP!

Attachments

• ROTQM8 AD-0265.CivBeyondSwordSave
    289 KB · Views: 86
> Barnaxus (who has promotions other than combat)

Just Shock I. The funny thing is that our Wood Golems also have Shock I. I didn't even know it worked that way.

Probably play tonight or tomorrow night.

Short report tonight.
Spoiler :
HAR HAR HAR

269 - Kandros captures a barb city and sees Falamar's borders across the pond.

So far we have 4 engineers added to AHEM Visibility and they start to pay off with a Great Merchant named Gonael. I send him to be settled in Dave's Place.

The Great... uh... Greenhouse is built in Sabathiel's capital, which also has the Heron Throne.

272 - Currency. In the interest of having as many disorganized civics changes as possible, I adopt Aristocracy and Consumption, even though it's 3 turns of anarchy, which is crazy. Before the change, we're at 106 BPT, +5 GPT at 60%, or 9, +98 at 0%. My guess is that we'll come out ahead with Aristocracy, and for Consumption, I want to make it easier to drop our slider for rush buying. Consumption also makes up for the happy lost from Religion with +1 happy from Markets, which are cheap for us.

Start Philosophy on the way to Military Strategy.

275 - Out of anarchy. We're at 156 BPT, +22 GPT at 60%, or 12, +185 at 0%. Yup. I do turn down the slider to rush buy a few things.

The shin-kickin', work-whistlin' train leaves the station to pay a visit to Sabathiel.

281 Philosophy -> Military Strategy

282 As advertised:

283 Settle the last Golden Hammer.

yeah. Yowza.

284 Military Strategy, winning the Great Commander. I suggest a Command Post in the capital. Then, along with the Brewhouse and Form of the Titan, we can produce 6XP Adepts and (if the game even lasts that long) T4s. I also suggest Heroic Epic in the capital (which I took the liberty of actually queuing up, since Rex is up next :mischief:)

Rex, I also queued up buildings in the Western cities, which would take a while to get units to the front anyway. But feel free to, you know, whatever.

Set research to Mathematics, but we've only just started it, so it's up for debate. I like Math -> Engineering before Sorcery because it gets us the Bazaar of Mammon, Guild of Hammers, 3 road movement, and Gargoyles. And Gambling Houses, although those are iffy as long as our slider is high (70%).

Attachments

• ROTQM8 AD-0284.CivBeyondSwordSave
    299.9 KB · Views: 79
Good Jet set...ah...set Jet! :D ;) Happy New Year to all Civfanatics! :)

Thanks, Imhotep.

One more suggestion: if we get a great engineer, I'd suggest rushing the Mines of Gal-Dur not in the capital (which already has some hammers into it) but in AHEM Visibility, which could make better use of the engineer slots it provides. I think the capital would be better off building Heroic Epic, then concentrating on units (probably Adepts.)

Okay, I see the save and will play/report some time prior to 2011 Monday. Any good explicit advice? I appreciate Jet queueing the builds, but there's still plenty of opportunity for me to ruin this game, right?

I'm short on time tonight, so no fancy story. Sorry.

First, thanks to Jet for setting things up so well. Just about my toughest choices were worker actions and when to take Sabathiel's capital to minimize exposure to a counterattack.

Anyhow, as suggested, I built the command post in the capital

However, before I could do that, I had to watch idly as Sabathiel stole our circumnavigation bonus. Short-statured, well-armored angry folk make poor sailors anyway!

Moving on...apparently we've done just a wee too much killin'...

Jet had left this nice, shiny wood golem next to this barb city, and I just had to take it, what with only one warrior defender and all.

Unfortunately, I couldn't see that axeman up there until after I'd taken the town. I didn't want to saddle us with that city's overhead, so I razed it, not realizing that my golem was hurt much worse than expected. (.5 hp). I played cat and mouse with the axeman, but he'd pinned me in and eventually killed me on a forest hill. Bummer.

When math came in, I went for engineering, but I completely forgot this was a team game, never noticing until looking at screenshots that Kandros was researching hunting. Sorry again.

I don't know what this means...

Just color, or are we hosed? Same turn, we birthed a Gr. Engineer. He can bulb engineering or start an age, but I didn't do anything with him.

Anyhow, to war...I spent a few turns taking down the walls of Sabathiel's capital before finally invading. No troops (of ours) lost.

He retaliated by showing us he has a navy.

He actually has about 3 or 4 galleys trolling nearby. He's torn up one net and will probably take them all. Do we care?

Attachments

• ROTQM8 AD-0294.CivBeyondSwordSave
    308.9 KB · Views: 94
Turns played, report tomorrow. Little teaser: We kicked some more shin and got us some professional places for people who like to cast hot metal in every city...

Imhotep

I played 11 turns to bring us up to turn 305. Sorry for the late report, but I'm quite busy at work in the New Year...

We started the set with some more shin-kickin'...

...followed by even more shin-kickin'...

Being Engineers at heart, the Dwarves discovered...uhm...Engineering :D .

The fellow Dwarves have some fun shin-kickin' Falamar...

We got us a place for our Engineers in every city...

...and of course, there were more shins to kick still around... :D

...and also for the Khazad...

We have 1 last golden hammer to settle in AHEM Visibility, I'm building a unit for transportation.

In short: We own.

---------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------

There is a Settler ready in the next set, we need some more - we have some decent spots in the East we should settle. I marked them. We can think about building the City of a Thousand Slums in our cap, thus we could work the 3rd ring hills as well for a super prod cap. Sabathiel is close to extinction, just keep pushing back west with our stack :) .

Imhotep

Splendid shin-kickery indeed. How are we only #2 in soldiers? Who the hell has more military than we?

From F9, it looks like Kandros. If he's not counted as a rival it must be Jonas, the only leader we haven't met. The Clan of Embers has a unique building (Warrens) that doubles the number of living units built.

I've got it. will keep pushing in the west, and settlign in the east. :goodjob:

Soldier: ugh...sorry for the delays, Your Higness ~ news from the frontier.

Dave: What's a Higness??

Soldier: Sorry, sir...typo! Not much to report, sir. We took Caelestis from Sabathiel with no losses!
Spoiler :

And we have settled a small herding village in the hills near Eastern Lake.

Dave: That's it?!?!

Soldier: Uhhh, well, I went out to dinner with my wife the other night....

Dave: Stop.

Get any?

[we also got the mines of Gal-dur, and a great engineer. i left him alone. we also finished Elementatlism. i went with 100% gold as i had NO idea what to do next :(

also, if you think this report is short, remember what spock sez: an artists knows when he is done not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." the first draft was 3 pages.

we also found Jonas Endain
Spoiler :

Attachments

• ROTQM8 AD-0315.CivBeyondSwordSave
    323.4 KB · Views: 75
Top Bottom