[BTS] SGOTM 26 - Sign up Thread

Apologies.
The staff never discussed it.
Noble Zarkon designed an intriguing map/game for sgotm26 and it just never started. What I think happened is that both AlanH and NZ got very busy IRL.

If there is enough interest, I'm willing to administer.
You can play NZs or possibly another if a map maker comes forth.
I just posted a poll thread.

Problem is a lot of the players may not be here any more. I think team PR is mostly still about.

Not seen Pedro or Swordnboard in a bit.

Last edited:
Are you going to host. My team are very eager to have a new challenge. It also helps keep the civ 4 community alive. The game is still actively played by many.

RL is keeping him quite busy right now. I doubt he would have time to oversee SGOTM26.
I will likely use his map if I host it.
I still have the map and would be happy to help if someone else was the main administrator.

I'm busy as all get out but would consider playing with my guys. Teams often devolve into a dedicated two or three. Maybe adapt to the reality and encourage teams to get at least three dedicated players.

Well at this point i have no idea why threads are started and then abandoned,
an imo more disappointing state than saying "okay sorry, sgotm closed".
I no longer have a computer that has Civ4(and BtS) installed, but I and some other unusual suspects might go the extra effort if there was a specific reason to, like a sgotm. But I can accept the status quo if there is insufficient interest. I can barely remember how to war with stacks rather than hexes.

So apart from AlanH who else could administer a game? Who else has access? Could someone be given access so they could help?

Still a lot of active players for civ 4 but you need the SGOTM staff to want to make these things happen. I think many followers here are starting to lose faith that people want to make this happen.

/\
A couple of good questions that deserved answer or follow-up, and long ago.

With all due respect and no intention to offend:
1. Why weren't those answered? Was there a PM exchange and tacit agreement to discontinue / disown?
2. SGOTMs seem to have been discontinued on C3 and C4. Never started on C1, C2 AND C5 and later, as it seems to me. Policy? Natural selection?
3. C4 forum all but died. Are C5 and C6 so much better that everyone drifted over? If so, can they be bought at discount somewhere (sorry, too expensive for me, especially ater buying full-price and 3 times C4 and not being able to play it due to change of HD).
4. Is there a flee-market for CIVs (if it's possible to set it up at all, of course)?
5. Is there another forum where SGOTM continues to live and, hopefully, thrive?

I think the staff here have been busy in real life.

I think you would struggle to run Civ 1 and 2 unless you downloaded from Steam. The game has moved on so much since then.

I think Civ 5 and 6 would not be interesting enough for a SGOTM. You would have to disable huts. Civ 4 was very popular and had a lot of micro which led to a lot of interesting scenarios and choices on how to play the game.

I actually think Civ 4 forum is busier than Civ 5 at present. Civ 6 is much busier purely as the game is still current. Remember Civ 4 was released 14-15 years ago. I think Civ 4 is clearly the better game. So much more depth to it. Not simply sitting on 4-5 cities building buildings waiting for something to happen.

Small correction, IV strategy forum is still busier than VI strategy.
Lots of talk in general discussion at VI, but not so much about..well you know.
Tells a lot about how IV is still very popular for just thinking.

Among players? Seems so.
Among staff? They were rarely replying.
It's clearly an issue with who could / wants to run sgotm at this point, and i will be honest there were too many maybes or interest? questions with nothing happening.
If you or others set one up peoples will most likely play. Not as many as years ago, but some would be there. I would, but my patience has run out on interest polls etc.

If one would start soon, I would play absolutely.
I missed out when games where running previously so don't really know the format but would probably adapt quick enough.

Is there something special with these type of games that make them orders of maginute more complicated to administer than the normal BOTM games?

If things have not changed much since september, It looks like @Noble Zarkon is busy IRL, and that @Deckhand is willing to be main administrator if he can use @Noble Zarkon 's map.

Looking at the list of players in the first thread, alot of them I have not seen on the forums for some time... Would it perhaps be wise to squeeze together more players in fewer but larger teams (2 or tops 3?) to ensure enough live and ready players?

Top Bottom