1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Player bugs and crashes - After the 16th of May

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, May 15, 2013.

1. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Did you delete the Cache FIRST!!

2. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

I never did so in the past and didn´t have issues then...

But now I loaded a later save with the new SVN, cleared the cache and it seems to run fine. Thanks for the hint!

3. strategyonly

Yeah, it has changed, it was 37 files i believe now its 84 files, so deleting it everytime you change the SVN or play some other mod is a MUST!.

4. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Saves are not chained or layered in any way. A load restores the game state from a save then throws it away. A save decants the game state into a fresh (and totally independent) save.

5. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Minidump is useful. It doesn't totally identify the issue, but it points to an area and I have a theory - will be an update later today to attempt to address it.

6. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Nope - I also enhanced the detection mechanisms that determine if a cache rebuild is needed (and fixed a bug in the existing code in that area) - it will auto-rebuild the cache when it needs to - you should NEVER need to manually delete it (if you do that indicates a bug).

The reported crash is not related to the cache.

7. civfan613

civfan613 Warlord

I use SVN now, with daily updating, so I do have the latest version.
    Why do some animals still use knight-style graphics???
    It's a bug from long ago, probably told endless times...
    Or is it by any chance some kind of memory limitations-based???
    Also, there was a promise of better performance, but I still need to wait nearly a minute per turn on GEM even while still minor.
    The 30+ civs one, of course.
    The AI part I can't tell, cause I never check them.
    I love this mod, but it is troublesome to wait so long...

8. Stormwind

Stormwind King

Uncheck Animations Frozen in den Civ4 graphics options.

9. civfan613

civfan613 Warlord

And how will that help?
    And with what exactly - I said a few things?

10. Stormwind

Stormwind King

That will show the right models for all units.

11. civfan613

civfan613 Warlord

Thanks then. :D
    Though it's WEIRD...

12. climat

climat King

Your computer is just too low-spec for it. Reduce numbers of civs or/and use other smaller maps if you can't bear waiting.

13. civfan613

civfan613 Warlord

Funny.
    Nothing new and nothing to do with my computer.
    It's the Civ4's core exe problem, already discussed many times - single core processor ONLY.
    Mine is dual, so it doesn't benefit from it.
    And I WANT to play GEM - why else would people even make it?

14. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

Well I do play it just in fine speed compared to way back when a turn took 5 min. In my recent 30 civ GEM game I am late classical now and a turn takes around 30 sec with all the new stuff Koshling put up in the SVN (thx!!!) - sometimes I even can't get to read in the book I have for in between turns :eek: But I like this kind of annoyance :lol: (Btw check out the speed up turns option in BUG menu... imo it really speeds up the turns but isn't default activated)

Back to thread topic: I found a little curiosity regarding the Great Wall graphics. While it is very cool the GW graphics update with every switch of the viewport (so by placing fortresses you can have a wall around all of your empire one day :king: ), I recognized that unclaimed territory surrounded by your own territory has no GW graphics around it
    and a further question: would the AI spawn barbs there, not knowing it can't get into my territory because GW disables that and therefore any spawn there would be blocked and useless?

Attached Files:

15. strategyonly

HUH it just happened to me today:dunno: Because the invisible/camo units WERE invisible, and i re-loaded and it even came back with the pop-up for Comp check(even though i just Re-comp'ed it before the game started and i saved it), just weird.

16. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Barbs can spawn anywhere in neutral territory, so yes they could spawn there too (tough for them!)

17. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Interesting, I had a problem yesterday and the solution was to delete the cache. Maybe it was game option related, I was switching between mods checking stuff out and that is known to cause problems with game options.

Normal in BtS and other mods as far as I have seen.

Indeed your own personal wild life refuge to train your to troops in. :)

18. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

When I have multiple ships lying at the cost (not in a city!) and send units aboard then they automatically board the ships with the smallest number of movement points. This is totally wrong and a real nuisance as I can´t control it. Units should always board the ship with the most movement points so I can send them as quickly as possibly to their target. Or at least I´d like to have a selection as I have when I board ships in a city.

19. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

If you find a reproducible recipe let me know and I'll look into it. The sequence that checks cache validity does the following:

1) Checksums the modification dates of all asset files (XML principally)
    2) Loads the header of the existing cache and verifies that:
    2.1) The checksum it just calculated in (1) matches that stored in the cache (so assets match)
    2.2) The caching header version itself matches (so the loading code in the DLL has not changed)
    3) If both checks in (2) are matches it uses the existing cache from the 'Cache' sub-folder of the mod folder, else it loads the XML from scratch and writes out a new cache

20. Taxman66

Taxman66 King

I'm not an SVN user (but I like to read and keep up with what is going on). Is this 'clear the cache before playing after playing a different mod' going to be required for v31 (and future) releases? Please say no... that will be a big headache for my household with mutliple players (including kids) using different mods whom I don't want mucking around with files. Thanks in advance.