1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Player bugs and crashes - After the 16th of May

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, May 15, 2013.

1. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

You only need an init if you are doing something at game initialization. There is nothing done then for Natural Wonders.

2. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

The code (in the DLL) for that has changed recently, and it may have caused the failure to fire plot reveal events. I'll look into it later today.

Edit - found the problem (it is a recent breakage). I'll upload a fix next time I am able to push a stable version (hope today).

3. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Just got a next turn or next repeatable CTD, attached mini/savedgame and BBAI

EDIT: I tried the debug dll, but it says "Not responding."

4. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

@SO,

JosEPh

5. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

This save game is right on the edge of what is possible without viewports so I suspect you might be running out of memory.

Are you using viewports? If no does activating them and then loading solve the issue?

6. mr_knowie

mr_knowie Chieftain

I am indeed running viewports. Not sure on the size, but the game was running fine until I tried to re-load one of those large saves, and it bailed out. I re-loaded a much smaller save without a problem. Not sure if that helps.

7. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

If you could try a smaller viewport (just temporarily to see if that is the issue or not) that would be helpful - just to eliminate a possible cause.

8. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

@Nimek & SO:

Neither of your saves are crashing for me. Please try latest SVN and post resulting minidump. I don't expect the changes to have impacted your issue, but I can interpret minidumps from the latest, which I cannot from the past dozen or so revisions due to the missing PDB file.

@mr_knowie:

I CAN reproduce your crash, and am looking into it now...

9. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

I've walked through the attempt to load your save in the debugger, and I'm afraid it really is corrupt. It's either just a plain old corrupt file for some reason, or there is a save bug that means certain game states do not save correctly. Do you have an auto-save one turn earlier? If so you'll have to go back to that, but if you do, try to repeat what you did last time, and see if the next autosave it generates is again unloadable. If it is (i.e. - you have a repeatable recipe to CREATE a broken save) please post the previous turn autosave plus instructions on what to do to get the broken on generated.

10. climat

climat King

11. strategyonly

thx new dll seems to have fixed it.

12. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

@SO, Koshling,
    I loaded your save and it CTD for me too. I did Not do a Re-Calc either as I'm about 5 versions from current.

Nvrmnd, :p

JosEPh

13. strategyonly

@ Hydro
    (pic 1/2), do i lose the archer str is i upgrade to this? If so why the upgrade to this??

@ ls612 (pic 3) protective is STILL not working(looking) correctly??

@ DH, (pic 4) Is there supposed to be that many missionaries in ONE city just sitting there??

14. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Why not? It depends. Having a number of spare missionaries of your state religion is a good idea if you are about to do a bit of expansion through settlement or war. It is also very useful if you are about to get right of passage or open borders with a neighbour so you can quickly spread your state religion to them. Especially if you have the Holy Shrine or are aiming for a religious victory.

I often amass 5 of each religion in my nation so that when I do my next bout of expansion I can quickly spread all the religions to the new city.

15. mr_knowie

mr_knowie Chieftain

I checked through my saves, and they all failed to load until some thirty turns back. I ran a couple of turns (past the point where the original saves failed), and the new saves load fine... so it looks non-deterministic for the moment, though I can't be sure I did everything precisely the same. If I run into it again, I'll see if I can get a reproducible case.

Do saves build on themselves? Perhaps a fault in a save that was propagated to subsequent saves?

16. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Fixes the problem. Thanks.

I am making some other adjustments to the Natural Wonders to give changes to plot yields after the feature is placed rather than on the feature itself. If the feature has some yields the map scripts will hijack them especially for sea plots. Which is why there were lots of Krakatoa volcanoes out there. ;) I also need to add in the new Mt Kilimanjaro by hrochland and look into giving the plots around the volcano natural wonders increased food production.

17. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Deity

That seems like a bad idea. Every missionary costs 1 gold per turn, doesn't it? If you have just 4 religions available that is an extra 20 gold per turn you are losing to units just sitting around giving no real benefit.

18. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Sorry about the pdb issue guys... I was having a hell of a time with my internet over the weekend with the heat blowing out the transmitters and as Koshling had indicated that day that he'd have an update in place later that day I was hoping I could get away without the archive update... it takes far longer to get the archive in place than the changes themselves and it took about half a day just to commit what I did (I think I had to restart the commit about 8 times due to crazy error messages about some kind of security denial or somesuch on the Sourceforge side. Each commit attempt took about 15 min to 30 min and more than a few died due to the flickering internet connection... was VERY frustrating.)

Unfortunately, working 12-13 hr days makes doing anything of a debugging nature during the week completely prohibitive so it'll have to wait.

19. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

When I load the new SVN, load my last game, do the recalc and finish the turn I get an immediate CTD. No problem with yesterday´s SVN. Attached is the minidump.

Attached Files:

20. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Well sort of. The Huron Mantlet gets +100% vs Archery. You also seem to have Poison Tips promotion which gives +25% vs Archery. So you would loose 100% and but still have +25% vs Archer from the promotion. You also go from -25% vs Melee to +50% vs Melee.

Note the Huron Mantlet was only recently changed from a Siege Unit too a Throwing Unit.

So yeah it may not be beneficial to upgrade that unit as soon as you can. There is really not any kind of unit like it.