• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

StarNES: Updates Without Number (Epoch I)

Moons do not take up any slots!

Also, I'll be posting the update shortly.

Update II: The Stellar Cradle

All across the galaxy more stars were born, and alongside them a multitude of planets.

Kri'thn, Noctura Alpha, Beren, Varynx, Ender, Surnamir, Barmile, Taman, and Ocula joined the heavenly host. The planets that formed within these star systems enjoyed middling success, though in Varynx, Ender, and Taman a few green worlds formed. Varynx in particular seemed blessed by whatever creative energies are present in this galaxy; the young star became home to not one, but two habitable planets, albeit small ones.

Within the elder systems of Madarak, Miyabi, Pharon, and Laquonis much less or different kinds of success was enjoyed. Pharon gave birth to a massive, flaming hunk of rock orbited by a small moon. Laquonis spawned two planets: one large, brown world stifled by its thin atmosphere; the other a small garden tucked inside the shadows of its larger, less habitable cousins. In Miyabi a wormhole clawed its way into existence, linking the star to a distant and empty quadrant of the galaxy. Lastly, Madarak saw the formation of its prime jovian, as well as the creation of two asteroid belts on the inner and outer rings of the system, thus protecting the veritable paradise, Madarak-I. However, On both sides of the star nebula formed, and for all their beauty they effectively made the star somewhat more secluded.

Star-Map Legend
Spoiler :

Player GC¤:

thomas.berubeg: 41GC¤ (20+15+6)
TerrisH: 28GC¤ (20+8)
Eltain: 39GC¤ (20+13+6) (I did not know what local-coop meant, so I just banked those 6GC¤)
Blaze Injun: 46GC¤ (20+19+7)
Haseri: 38GC¤ (20+18)
nutranurse: 40GC¤ (20+17+3)
SouthernKing: 54GC¤ (20+19+15)
Terrance888: 33GC¤ (20+12+1)
hbar: 42GC¤ (20+19+3)
theDright: 32GC¤ (20+11+1)
Gem Hound: 28GC¤ (20+5+3)
General Olaf: 41GC¤ (20+20+1)
Tecknojock: 46GC¤ (20+10+16)
Tambien: 48GC¤ (20+17+11)
spaceman98: 43GC¤ (20+13+10)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Rule Changes/Additions:

Asteroids: Large fields now only take up 1 star-slot.
Previously just building 2 medium asteroid fields beat out having 1 large field. Prior to this change 2 medium fields gave 40% protection from comets; 1 large field gave 35% protection from comets; both of these 'builds' took up 2 slots—this hardly makes sense!

Moons: There is now a 10 moon per system limit
This is to prevent hexes from being overcrowded with little yellow blips.

Age A Star (Requires: Star, 10GC¤)
Each turn players can age stars. Every time a star ages it has an incremental 3% chance of becoming a Red Giant (i.e. @ age 1 = 3%, age 2 = 6%, age 3 =9%). When a star becomes a Red Giant the habitat-level of all the terrestrial planets in the system goes down by 1 (Gaian→Habitable; Habitable→Somewhat Habitable; Somewhat Habitable→Uninhabitable; Uninhabitable→Uninhabitable). A star cannot be aged by a single player twice in one turn, but multiple players spending GC¤ to age a single star causes the star to age faster.

Cause A Red Giant to Supernova/Become A White Dwarf (Requires: Red Giant, 75GC¤)
When a player performs this action there is a 50/50 chance that the chosen Red Giant will either go supernova or become a white dwarf. In the event of a supernova the star explodes, creating a nebula in the hex. Planets in the supernova'd system have a 1-in-3 chance of being flung out of the hex; in such an event a 1d6 is rolled to determine the direction the planet goes, a 1d6+4 is rolled to determine how far the planet goes, and has a 2-in-3 chance of joining a system if it stops in that system's hex, otherwise the planet acts as a super-comet. Planets that do not stop in any system become 'rogue' planets, though they have a 1-in-20 chance of joining a system in an adjacent sector. Planets instantly become Uninhabitable when ejected from their home systems.

In the event that a white dwarf forms planets within the same hex drop another habitat-level (Habitable→Somewhat Habitable; Somewhat Habitable→Uninhabitable; Uninhabitable→Uninhabitable) and the hex becomes free for a new star to form. This new star starts will 3 star slots as opposed to 6.

Orders for Update III due Sunday 25 March, 2012 @ 12:00PM (GMT-4)

54 GC
Use 50 GC to create a binary system in 2309:
The stars are Kraton and Kamulon, and the system as a whole can be called Kraton-Kamulon

TecknoJock (46 GC)

2304 Laquonis (3/6)
(15:15/46) 1 large terrestrial planned
(8:23/46)1 Asteroid Field
(15:38/46) 1 Large Gas Planet

And with that, Laquonis is filled.

(8:46/46) 8 Banked

So, can a rogue planet inhabit a nebula space?
Also, on the key, you might want to mark the inhospitable planets as uninhabitable, not inhabitable.

Yes, a rogue planet can potentially inhabit a nebula!

15GC: place another large Terestrial in 2011
6GC: medium astiroid belt in 2011
6GC: 3 new moons around the Gas Giant.
1GC: bank

question: is there a limit to the # of moons a planet can have? otherwise, I'm just going to keep adding them to my gas giant.

You can have up to 10 moons per system (mostly so as to keep hexes from being overcrowded). Let me add that in.

Will moons be lost in a supernova, or will they still be attached to the planet when it goes rogue? Such a thing does happen. Wiki suggests 5% of earth sized planets would retain moons and that percentage goes up as size increases.

Is this an accurate guess of planet sizes?:
Small Terrestrial: Mercury?
Medium Terrestrial: Earth?
Larger Terrestrial: 1.5x Radius of Earth? (Wiki puts the largest terrestrials between 2-10 Em or 1.25-2.15 Er assuming same density)
Small Gas Giant: 2x Radius of Earth
Medium Gas Giant: Uranus
Large Gas Giant: Jupiter

Will moons be lost in a supernova, or will they still be attached to the planet when it goes rogue? Such a thing does happen. Wiki suggests 5% of earth sized planets would retain moons and that percentage goes up as size increases.

Is this an accurate guess of planet sizes?:
Small Terrestrial: Mercury?
Medium Terrestrial: Earth?
Larger Terrestrial: 1.5x Radius of Earth? (Wiki puts the largest terrestrials between 2-10 Em or 1.25-2.15 Er assuming same density)
Small Gas Giant: 2x Radius of Earth
Medium Gas Giant: Uranus
Large Gas Giant: Jupiter

Moons may or may not be lost, depends on random factors.

That scale is more or less alright, though a small gas giant would be something like 3-4x earth's radius.

well, 4x puts it in the size Uranus and Neptune, and the scale can't really be shifted up because gas giants can't get much bigger than 1.12x Jupiters Radius before they begin to collapse back in on themselves.

One more question, can a nebula be built on top of a rogue planet?

Yes, nebula can be built on top of rogue planets.

By my count you actually have 6GC¤ banked from last turn! My bad! (You had 37GC¤; Spent 15GC¤ on your gas planet (22GC¤ left); Spent 4GC¤ on Madarak-I moons (18GC¤ left); Spent 4GC¤ on the gas planet's moon (14GC¤ left); Spent 8GC¤ on a large asteroid field (6GC¤ left).

However, people, please include how much of your GC¤ you are banking/have left over so as to avoid situations such as this.

@Thlayli: Uninhabitable indeed.

48GC
-Star Maqrok (20 GC)
-Medium Planet (10 GC)
-1 Moon (2 GC)
-Large Asteroid Field (8 GC)
-Small Planet (5 GC)

Bank: 3 GC

Basic System Description:

So- I want the Medium planet in the ideal place for life in the system. It will be the one with a moon. I want the Moon of my planet to orbit from one pole to another. IE- It starts it's orbital cycle at the North Pole, and goes south until it rounds the bottom of the planet. It also should not be tidally locked, and it should be tectonically active. So, we have another prime candidate for life. ;) The small planet should be in between Mars and Earth in terms of orbit.

That's about it!

Top Bottom