The "New" Wonders Of The World

I don't understand how Machu Pichu and Timbuktu are on the list. How can a city be a wonder?

The Alhambra is wonderful. It counts as a wonder to me.
I remember having a book about man-made wonders of the world and one of its top choices was a giant battleship.
18-inch cannons are a feat of engineering themselves: round about this point the weight of the barrel warps the metal. Adding them to a floating fortress is a wonder. Maybe this is why they cost so much to make in Civ.

We have a much better one, honest

Nope, never really fancied it. I like the louvre and the Mont Saint Michel more but I don't really think even those deserve the title of a wonder. If anything the only one I know of that I'd vote for would be Machu Pichu. Everything else uninteresting to me.

Frankly, there are a few glaring omissions in there that lead me to suspect the nomination comitee was more interested in engineering and "hugeness" than in breathtaking wonders.

The lack of the Sistine Chapel on the list, for a start (And technically they could have had it along the Colosseum despite their one-per-country law ; Sistine is in Vatican, not Italy).

She probably was, but went down in the voters opinions.

Hmmm. Is it just me or did Lula suceed in his bid to get Latin American and Brazilian vote out? (More wonders from Latin America than anywhere else - Chichen Itza, Machu Pichu and Christ Redeemer)

(The other four "winners" are the Great Wall of China, the Taj Mahal, Petra and the Colosseum. The first three are certainly warranted ; the last one I'm not so sure.).

umm.. What the hell is so 'wonderous' about the Christ Redeemer again? :?

I think the majority of the 90 million people who voted are idiots; where they just ended up voting for their 'favorities' as opposed to actually taking into account the definition of a 'wonder'.

Very West-centric

hmpfh

Luckily, just as many people disagreed with old lists and made their own, we can all just blow off this list and decide what we all like instead.

Hmmm. Is it just me or did Lula suceed in his bid to get Latin American and Brazilian vote out? (More wonders from Latin America than anywhere else - Chichen Itza, Machu Pichu and Christ Redeemer)

(The other four "winners" are the Great Wall of China, the Taj Mahal, Petra and the Colosseum. The first three are certainly warranted ; the last one I'm not so sure.).

Chichen Itza is in Mexico, not South America.

The final winners are ridiculous. I think the Taj Mahal and The Christ statue shouldn't be on there at all.

Why is that? The Taj Mahal is one of the most beautiful structures in the world, and a true engineering marvel for its time.

Top Bottom