The "New" Wonders Of The World

As a brazilian, and from Rio, I didnt like the Christ statue being chosen. It's really beautiful and great, but I'm sure there are others that deserved to be picked.

I was shocked the Moai statues didnt get on the top, they're just so fascinating!

Hmmm. Is it just me or did Lula suceed in his bid to get Latin American and Brazilian vote out? (More wonders from Latin America than anywhere else - Chichen Itza, Machu Pichu and Christ Redeemer)

(The other four "winners" are the Great Wall of China, the Taj Mahal, Petra and the Colosseum. The first three are certainly warranted ; the last one I'm not so sure.).

And well, I dont know for the rest of Latin America, but here in Brazil there was a massive campaign to make people vote for Christ Redeemer. I didnt though ;)

Christ the Redeemer? Wasn't it built in modern times? How is that exactly a wonder then? The International Space Station is more of a wonder than that, but it's not exactly on this world. Stonehenge should have been picked over it. I'm sure Garry Denke voted for it.

Bleah. The Taj Mahal is a monument to tyranny. It is the waste of monarchs. Like Versaille for example.

Like the Pyramids, Angkor Wat, Neuschwanstein, Kremlin, Alhambra, Terracotta Army, the Mausoleum of Mausollos, Hanging Gardens...

In fact, few of so-called "wonders" actually have any useful usage, mostly those built in modern times. But they are wonders in the sense of architectural excellence, beauty and so on.

The final winners are ridiculous. I think the Taj Mahal and The Christ statue shouldn't be on there at all.

The Christ statue is an idiotic choice indeed. Huge pile of concrete shaped like certain prophet, oh come on! I know people like it, but it is not comparable to real wonders like Angkhor Vat or others.

I think that 3 wonders in Latin America are too much. I'd include either Machu Pichcu or Chichen Itza pyramid.

The only two I have no objections against are the Great Wall and Taj Mahal.

This might have worked better, if there had been seven wonders for each continent (maybe except Australia).
As it stands, the selection is fairly ridiculous. Christ Redeemer and the Colosseum have no place in that list at all, and Petra and Machu Picchu are cities. A wonder should be a single structure, in the broadest sense, or else there is no reason not to include Prague, Paris, Venice, Pompeii, etc, etc...

This might have worked better, if there had been seven wonders for each continent (maybe except Australia).
As it stands, the selection is fairly ridiculous. Christ Redeemer and the Colosseum have no place in that list at all, and Petra and Machu Picchu are cities. A wonder should be a single structure, in the broadest sense, or else there is no reason not to include Prague, Paris, Venice, Pompeii, etc, etc...

Colosseum has no place in the list? For what reason? There is no better example of the Roman art, strenght and skill.

I'd set one wonder for each civilization:

Western civ. - Vatican City (Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica etc.)
Eastern Orthodox - Hagia Sophia
Islamic civ. - Blue Mosque or something else (structures in Isfahan, Samarkand...)
Buddhism - Angkor Vat
Indian civ. - Taj Mahal
Latin America - Machu Picchu or Chichen Itza
China - the Great Wall
+ Colosseum or Acropolis representing the Classical civilizations of Rome and Greece.

Colosseum has no place in the list? For what reason? There is no better example of the Roman art, strenght and skill.
If that's the best the Romans can do, then they weren't all that impressive.

As far as Roman art is concerned, i'd say the Pantheon is at the very least equal to the Colosseum. When it comes to skill and ingenuity, any thermae with aqueduct support far surpass it. Take the Baths of Caracalla, for example, just to stay in Rome. And as example of Rome's strength, Hadrian's Wall is far more impressive, given that it is thousands of miles from the heart of the empire.

But of course there is no reason why Rome (the empire) should be entitled to a wonder, especially when Rome (the city) contains a far better candidates (Sistine Chapel,...), not to mention the rest of the world.
This is just my opinion, of course, so feel free to disagree. :)

Bleah. The Taj Mahal is a monument to tyranny. It is the waste of monarchs. Like Versaille for example.

Like the pyramids? ;)

EDIT: Nevermind. I replied before reading the whole thread, and taillesskangaru already said this.

As a brazilian (and a carioca for that matter) I'm ashamed of the number of brazilian morons who think the Christ is one of the seven wonders of the world and voted that way. A bunch of provincian idiots lead by the the Great Idiot himself, Lula.

Nationalism is not the last refuge of the bastard, it is the last refuge of the ******. Yay for stupidity!

If the Persepolis isn't on the list, then I don't want to know about it ;)

The list isn't too bad (there are at least 20 deserving wonders), but Christ Redeemer is disappointing on it. It's a good statue beautifully situated, but it really doesn't fit in well with the rest of the wonders for two reasons.

First, every other wonder has been in existence for at least several centuries. The Redeemer statue is 70 years old. Second, every other wonder was a very impressive engineering achievement in its respective time, as in pretty hard to build - some extraordinarily hard to build. A 30m statue, however, wasn't that difficult to create in 1930s.

Top Bottom