1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Olive Branch Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hobbsyoyo, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

You do have a choice of whether to bite on the bait. I realize that sometimes one has to stand up for one's honor, but there are other times when it's best to anticipate that the fallout will be more trouble than it's worth.

2. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

You do have a choice in taking the bait and just not talk about it.

3. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

I didn't say I didn't have a choice, I said it wasn't my fault. There's a difference.

You have the choice not to use lethal self-defense against someone who attacks you, doesn't mean its your "Fault" if you do so;)

4. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Oh it's not your fault. Damn. That means you can bring it up again and again.

In that case, I apologize to those guys who reacted on your posts in the Romney thread. I got mad at them for reacting to your post, but they were baited so it wasn't their fault.

Sorry guys. You had no choice in the matter.

5. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Actually it is your fault if you continually do the same thing over again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. There is a thing called picking your battles, you just havr to know when to speak up and when to stay silent.

Bad analogy. First off, your life will never be at threat while arguing on the internet.

Just don't be like this comic. Life will go on if you don't say something about a topic on the net.

6. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

:lol:

Don't quote "Honest" Abe Lincoln to make any point to me;)

7. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

someone should change the thread title to "The beat GhostWriter16 over the head with an Olive Branch Thread: MCLXIXth edition."

edit: or maybe a different kind of branch. I'm not sure how far you'd get with an olive branch.

8. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

No good thread may go underailed. It seems quite inevitable that the Olive Branch thread would become arguementative and blame-fixing.:sad:

9. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Yeah, my bad. Sorry about that.

10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I am this () close to asking a mod to ban certain posters and topics in this thread. I really believe in the idea behind this thread but I just read 3 pages about one poster that was completely innapropriate. Nothing substantial was discussed in those three pages, no one really addressed GW directly; he was just talked about circumspectly. That is not what this thread is for, please stop it and shame on you GW for claiming innocence and then dropping Lincoln and self defense into this thread.

I am quite upset right now.

11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

If you don't have someone specific to talk to about personal differences, then don't post here. This kind of post derails the whole discussion into something it isn't. This isn't the place to complain about posters in general. This also isn't the place to stick up for somebody (looking at you Oruc).

This is the place for one-on-one conflict resolution. If you want to address the crowd to apologize as a sign of good faith in the process and CFC, then fine. But don't come here to complain about percieved insults from 'them', come here to complain about a specific poster or a specific, named, group of posters with a specific problem. The kind of post above is basically just baiting an argument from people who don't like you.

I owe rugbyLEAGUEfan an apology for not responding to his PM earlier. I am usually very good with that, but at the time I was ashamed of myself. The PM was about smoking and at the time, I hadn't yet quit and was ashamed of that fact.

But I have quit now and responded to his PM. Sorry about that rLf, you deserve better. :D

12. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Your upset because it was derailed? It might have slightly gone off topic - but i think the Ghostwriter tangent is a worthy avenue to explore and is legitimately a part of this thread.
    The reason your upset is because you've had a few feisty conversations with GW and you think all that criticism over the last three pages is directed at you - which is magnified by your explosive emotional temprement which means everything is always about you. Well, it's not - entirely - its mainly a few other posters who I won't name. Thats for GW and his bullies too do.

13. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

That's not at all what I was I was saying/thinking/feeling Quackers.

Why do you do this:
    You don't know me or my emotional temperment. You have a sliver of an idea of who I am based on some limited interactions with me on a forum. Yet you feel you can analyze me in a negative light as if you have the key to my inner workings. Why? Are you trying to have a discussion with me about things you don't like about my posting style? If so, there are better ways to go about it.

14. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

You two need an olive branch and some lube.

15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I thought we had made up already, but now he's back to insulting me. :dunno:

16. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

Moderator Action: So much for extending Olive Branches around here. Closed for spam and discussion styles entirely unfit for the Chamber.

17. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

18. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

I wish to extend an Olive Branch to those I have disappointed by posting in the Chamber. Those were momemts of weakness and I will try to not let it happen again.

19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I owe Antilogic an apology. I looked at an old thread recently where I was a big jerk to him. I was exceedingly sarcastic and it crossed a line I think. I actually apologized to him at the time, but now that I've gotten to know him, I feel really bad about it.

Sorry brah.

20. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Mise & Agentman are the only ones I've really argued with, and they know I think he's awesome.