The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread ΛΕ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, that's how I beat the cellphone company when I wanted to free myself from their ‘services’. They are trained to deal with customers who are angry, stupid, or out of time, or insane. I just sat there with a peaceful expression because it was summer so they couldn't make me leave by making it so late I'd freeze to death if I stayed any longer. :)

Last edited:
. I just sat there with a peaceful expression because it was summer so they couldn't make me leave by making it so late I'd freeze to death if I stayed any longer. :)

Have you really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Have you really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Please rephrase so I can understand what you mean.

Speaking from experience, if you've gone through this answering questions you don't like by repeating yourself slower and louder, then the agent probably thinks that you are the dumbest person she has ever met. The best way to deal with these things is to pretend that you're both rational adults, whether or not either of you actually believe it.
Of course that only works if the other person actually IS a rational adult, and they don't keep repeating the same stupid questions over and over after you've given them perfectly rational answers.

Oh yes, that's how I beat the cellphone company when I wanted to free myself from their ‘services’. They are trained to deal with custoemrs who are angry, stupid, or out of time, or insane. I just sat there with a peaceful expression because it was summer so they couldn't make me leave by making it so late I'd freeze to death if I stayed any longer. :)
"A peaceful expression"? "Make me leave"?

Does this mean you're actually able to speak to someone in person about your billing/service issues?

If I have a dispute with the phone company, I have to phone them or email them. The last in-person office where you could talk to someone or pay a bill was shut down so many years ago, I can't remember when it was... back in the '90s, I think.

And they are probably going to get a phone call from me soon, if they didn't do what was promised and keep me on the list for paper bills.

"A peaceful expression"? "Make me leave"?

Does this mean you're actually able to speak to someone in person about your billing/service issues?
They have a place where they solve your technical issues. One of their slogans is/was that the Internet makes everything better yet trying to get rid of the contract by phone or online was nearly impossible (I seriously suspect the bugs in the software are intentional) but there's still fixes that can only be done by taking the phone to them in person and having them twiddle with the thing.

It's also a place where they actually sell the danged phones themselves.

Most companies have a customer retention dept. When I'm having issues, I usually ask to be transferred to theirs. (if requests to talk to a supervisor fail) At least they understand the concept that the cost of retention is cheaper than acquisition. It probably wouldn't help resolving a theft issue but it has helped me in many other situations. They're usually empowered to offer you something. They're usually rated on how many customers they retain.

Of course that only works if the other person actually IS a rational adult, and they don't keep repeating the same stupid questions over and over after you've given them perfectly rational answers.
Well, again, that's probably how the customer service agent is feeling. Just because she gave answers that HoloDoc didn't like doesn't mean that they were unreasonable. That's why you have to maintain the fiction that we're all grown-ups, and assume that others are doing the same until they go out of their way to announce that they are not.

Back when I used to deal with AT&T, you could get a person on the phone, but all of the people had South Asian accents and names like Steve and Bob and Sue, and they wouldn't deviate from their script for anything. And if you try really hard to get them off script, you can reduce them to tears because going off script meant that they would be replaced by someone else who would be renamed to Steve or Bob or Sue.

This is something that I kept being frequently asked.

Why is it that games are always trying to get higher frame rates when films have stayed at 24 frames per second for decades?

Why is it that games are always trying to get higher frame rates when films have stayed at 24 frames per second for decades?
Because, when it comes to gaming; Moar is Better!

You know I have no idea why flims still shoot such low frame rates. Many times when watching action movies I can't follow everything cus of the motion blur or camera shake. Higher frame rates make the action easier to follow. All the hobbit flims were shot and shown at 48 fps. When you first see them it's weird. Everything looks super real and crisp instead of having that soft movie like look. But after a few minutes you adjust and like I said, it's better for action scenes by a lot.

But if you want to know why, that's probably it, games are going for life like realism with fantasy settings, while films are still trying to put you in a specific place and might not want to see as real. Also the size of the screens, and cost. If you want to get 60 or 120 fps on your game you buy expensive hardware but for movies the theaters and production companies didn't want to spend more for higher frames.

I do not get the obsession with people trying to exceed 60hz though. Maybe I have to see 120 side by side in real life with 60 and compare, but 60 with vsync is super smooth as is. Even stuff like msaa (multi sample anti asliasing) vs fxaa (fast approximate anti aliasing) is extremely hard to tell the difference when you are playing a game at real life speed. I can usually only notice it in side by side screenshots, and the msaa requires like four times the processing compared to fxaa.

I'll guess: I think most of the cinema projectors were recently still analog. And setup for 24 frames/second. If they increased that, it might have led to trouble with the projectors.
Obviously not an issue with already digital games.
But just a guess.

Films are playing to meet the standards of optical recognition. Games are playing to the standards of reaction times. Reactions are based on far greater data handling capacity than minimum optical recognition.

You know I have no idea why flims still shoot such low frame rates. Many times when watching action movies I can't follow everything cus of the motion blur or camera shake. Higher frame rates make the action easier to follow. All the hobbit flims were shot and shown at 48 fps. When you first see them it's weird. Everything looks super real and crisp instead of having that soft movie like look. But after a few minutes you adjust and like I said, it's better for action scenes by a lot.

But if you want to know why, that's probably it, games are going for life like realism with fantasy settings, while films are still trying to put you in a specific place and might not want to see as real. Also the size of the screens, and cost. If you want to get 60 or 120 fps on your game you buy expensive hardware but for movies the theaters and production companies didn't want to spend more for higher frames.

I do not get the obsession with people trying to exceed 60hz though. Maybe I have to see 120 side by side in real life with 60 and compare, but 60 with vsync is super smooth as is. Even stuff like msaa (multi sample anti asliasing) vs fxaa (fast approximate anti aliasing) is extremely hard to tell the difference when you are playing a game at real life speed. I can usually only notice it in side by side screenshots, and the msaa requires like four times the processing compared to fxaa.

According to them, the reason why 24 frames per second was chosen is because that's the limit of what the human eye can see or that there's no benefit for going any higher when it comes to vision. They don't understand why you need a higher frame rate as you cannot see the difference. They don't understand why people would complain about frame rate stuttering in games. They just use higher frame rates as another reason why PC gamers are idiots and that they're ruining console games, with complaining about technical details of the game instead of just enjoying the game.

Films are playing to meet the standards of optical recognition. Games are playing to the standards of reaction times. Reactions are based on far greater data handling capacity than minimum optical recognition.

They don't believe that higher frame rates are better for reaction times. If everyone has the same low frame rate, then everyone has the same disadvantage.

They don't believe that higher frame rates are better for reaction times. If everyone has the same low frame rate, then everyone has the same disadvantage.

Sounds like a multi-player based argument, which puts it outside my area of concern.

Me too, unless you count civ IV MP.

According to them, the reason why 24 frames per second was chosen is because that's the limit of what the human eye can see or that there's no benefit for going any higher when it comes to vision. They don't understand why you need a higher frame rate as you cannot see the difference. They don't understand why people would complain about frame rate stuttering in games. They just use higher frame rates as another reason why PC gamers are idiots and that they're ruining console games, with complaining about technical details of the game instead of just enjoying the game.

I think I sense a mocking tone in your post, but just anecdotally this argument falls flat cus you can clearly see the difference watching the high frame rate the hobbit vs an older lord of the rings movie.

I think I sense a mocking tone in your post, but just anecdotally this argument falls flat cus you can clearly see the difference watching the high frame rate the hobbit vs an older lord of the rings movie.

I've never seen The Hobbit in 48 frames per second, but according to them, it makes it look more fake. They also hated The Hobbit films to the point where they now hate The Lord of the Rings films, saving that they were never good, The Hobbit just shows up the flaws that much easier.

I've never seen The Hobbit in 48 frames per second, but according to them, it makes it look more fake. They also hated The Hobbit films to the point where they now hate The Lord of the Rings films, saving that they were never good, The Hobbit just shows up the flaws that much easier.

Just always keep in mind that the people you talk to in real life are ignorant stupid jackasses. And then everything makes sense.

^I was just going to ask whether they were the same people who pepper you political opinions and ‘facts’.
I didn't much like the LotR films with the storyline butchered by Peter Jackson, but the visuals were simply gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom