The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread ΛΕ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, maybe not, but the alleged specifics of the stories are not really the important things.

It is about 300miles from Cairo to Jerusalem, you could walk that in 40 days.

Yes do not Resuscitate. We found it useful. After my mother's husband died, she did not want to extend her life or be kept alive just to be kept alive. The DNR acted as a notice to her caregivers and to any 911 responders that nothing should be done to prolong her life if an event happened. She did not want any trips to the ER or for those taking care of her to interfere with her dying. She was 99 at the time.

I doubt my family will agree to something like this, but thanks for bringing it up.

I doubt my family will agree to something like this, but thanks for bringing it up.
In truth, it is not up the family. It is up to the individual to make such a decision for themselves. In the US they are legal documents. I of course recognize that DNRs can be controversial and families can disagree and prevent them.

Thanks and I'm sorry you had to go through that as well. We currently have a person stopping by to clean and look after my grandmother. I'm not sure if it's a nurse. There might be 2 people stopping by on a regular basis, one for housecleaning, one for more personal requests.

For whatever reason, my aunt's place is not a good place for this, and the rest of the family lives too far. I think the problem might be the stairs, but not really sure.

We are on waiting lists for homes, and they are cheaper here, just comparing to the $6k USD. A lot of them are subsidised by the government and those are the ones we signed up for. I think most are like that? Some are private but they are as expensive as what you quote or pricier, these are outside of our price range. But I think here these are for the "1%"

Even the best of homes aren't really as good as living with a relative. :dunno: I understand that this isn't a good solution, but.... There isn't a good solution. :hug:

Boxes or crates rather than containers. I have a friend who is a woodworker who uses 24 different kinds of wood in his work, but does not have a source for Quebracho. Tucker Woodshop is on facebook.
This might help, it's from only a couple months ago, but the Paraguayan government has an upcoming ban on quebracho exports which might change the situation. Better ask those folks than me; I don't know anybody who deals in what would be called retail-scale trade.
Have I come off as older or as younger?
Yes.

Even the best of homes aren't really as good as living with a relative. :dunno: I understand that this isn't a good solution, but.... There isn't a good solution. :hug:

Maybe. With my mom I had made a promise that she could stay at home. To that end I moved back to town when it was necessary, and organized a steady stream of me, my sons, my ex-wife, an ex-sister in law, and a couple other random associates who stayed with her for various lengths of time when having someone on site 24/7 became necessary. Eventually I ran out of help, her health got to be too challenging, and the expenses of the house got too hard to manage and she arrived at the decision to go somewhere.

After a short and stupid interlude orchestrated by my brother I got her into this board and care not far from my gf's house. Where she told me "if I'd known about this I'd have moved here five years ago." They were professionals, and she didn't feel like she had to be mom/grandma in charge and direct her own care, which as family we were never quite able to get across to her. Her and this other lady played Scrabble and shared books and griped about their kids and their lives and whatever and seemed to have a very good time of it. The people who helped her into the bath and whatnot were trained and skilled instead of just helpful, which made her feel a lot safer. I could show up and take her out to lunch instead of showing up and confronting the ever lengthening list of petty home repairs.

No one dwelled on it, but overall I felt kinda stupid about having kept that promise for as long as I did.

I would take her in myself if I could. Heck, I'd be willing to take an absence from work, if my boss allowed it, to look after her 24/7 for a year, while stuff is sorted out. My aunt is in charge though, and she has a lot more details than me, so I am trusting her judgement. I will talk to my mom about this soon and hopefully get more details

In truth, it is not up the family. It is up to the individual to make such a decision for themselves. In the US they are legal documents. I of course recognize that DNRs can be controversial and families can disagree and prevent them.

My family is religious and will probably be against "pulling the plug". I'm not sure if my grandmother is sound enough of mind to make her own legal decisions either. I also believe that the U.S. and Canada have different enough laws regarding things like this. In the end though this is not in the scope of this conversation

Wander around in a Middle Eastern desert for twenty years and you're gonna look a hundred.

When I came back from working a summer in Bahrain my hair had blond streaks in it.

Tim's from 'Murica, the tradition there is to go blond as one ages.

When I posted my question, I paused for a moment to ask myself, I wonder which I would prefer for him to say, and then never did settle on one or the other.

Which makes your actual answer perfect.

It does indeed - his eyes were not weak and nor were his limbs, supposedly.
However, he did suffer from increasingly pompous dialogue. My grandmother and I used to watch "The Ten Commandments" every year on Easter Sunday, and as the years went by, I found Charlton Heston's dialogue funnier every year.

Maybe they wouldn't have needed 40 years if he'd just stopped and asked for directions...

The Peter Danielson novels cut the 40 years down to a more reasonable 10.

My family is religious and will probably be against "pulling the plug". I'm not sure if my grandmother is sound enough of mind to make her own legal decisions either. I also believe that the U.S. and Canada have different enough laws regarding things like this. In the end though this is not in the scope of this conversation
DNR isn't the same as MAiD (medical assistance in death, aka physician-assisted death). The way the laws are now, if she's been diagnosed with either dementia or Alzheimers, she's not deemed legally competent to request MAiD anyway, and the family isn't legally allowed to request it either.

My dad has a DNR (this was decided when he and I went to see his doctor). The doctor was very frank with me about what resuscitation involves and how hard it would be for someone of my dad's age and condition (he'll be 84 in January and needs assistance with almost everything now). I'm supposed to sign a renewal for that, when they get around to sending the papers.

Why is skin sometimes described as being "olive-coloured"? Olives are green.

Many olives are like a sort of brownish color, and my understanding is "olive skin" is sort of like a light tan color, think like Mediterranean Italians and such.

And most skin color labels are wrong anyway, lol. I'd be called "white", but my skin looks more like a light shade of pink.

Not a bouncer, no.

A stacker of wheat then?

Why is skin sometimes described as being "olive-coloured"? Olives are green.

Once you skoosh the oil out of them and look at the resulting liquid the approximation makes a bit more sense. Then again, if something is not ROYGBIV my grasp on it as a shade is tenuous at best.

That makes sense. I was a tired and reading a book and when a character's skin was described as being olive-coloured I thought that he really ought to go see a doctor.

Okok, BROYGBIVW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom