TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
The subject doesn't really matter.
It does if you're going to go around calling people "intellectual bankrupt". There's enough beard-stroking on this board to make do, I'm as guilty as anyone, but let's try to keep the light threads light.

It does if you're going to go around calling people "intellectual bankrupt". There's enough beard-stroking on this board to make do, I'm as guilty as anyone, but let's try to keep the light threads light.

I called his argument intellectually bankrupt. Mouthwash is a very intelligent human being. Otherwise, you're more than welcome to PM me if you have an issue with the way I'm expressing myself.

You wouldn't embarrass the Crown by stooping so low as to imitate the natives now, would you?

Seriously? You should show them how to do it properly then. ;)

Seriously? You should show them how to do it properly then. ;)
I'm starting to think some of my friends have super glued their hands to their foreheads but no matter how hard or long I tried, I will never come close to Charles or his Old Mans effortless knack of leaving people feeling embarrassed ;)

It's a conversation about dental floss, ferchrissake, mebbe take it down a peg.

He's right, I wasn't arguing well there.

In the interests of getting things back on topic: TIL that giving your dog something that smells like you can help prevent them going nuts when you're away.

Last edited:
That makes sense. There's those hug shirts too that make them feel not alone. Dogs are weirdly emotional.

I learned this week you can make gunpowder in your garage out of feces, some straw and leaves and maybe some wood ashes and urine. It just takes about a year to turn to saltpeter. Then you have to burn some more wood to get charcoal, and I'm not exactly sure where you get sulfur from, probably have to buy that, but then you simply mix em all together for a bunch of hours and viola, you have black powder!

It came up on this show Taboo which the protagonist is blacklisted from buying gunpowder but needs it to trade with some american indians so he hires a chemist to make it for him. When they started discussing the process I said no way that can't be what makes gunpowder, poop and pee, but turns out the show is quite accurate.

That makes sense. There's those hug shirts too that make them feel not alone. Dogs are weirdly emotional.

I learned this week you can make gunpowder in your garage out of feces, some straw and leaves and maybe some wood ashes and urine. It just takes about a year to turn to saltpeter. Then you have to burn some more wood to get charcoal, and I'm not exactly sure where you get sulfur from, probably have to buy that, but then you simply mix em all together for a bunch of hours and viola, you have black powder!

It came up on this show Taboo which the protagonist is blacklisted from buying gunpowder but needs it to trade with some american indians so he hires a chemist to make it for him. When they started discussing the process I said no way that can't be what makes gunpowder, poop and pee, but turns out the show is quite accurate.
A about a year ago I searched amazon for sulphur, and it came up with the "customers who bought this also bought" saltpeter and carbon. I then closed the site quickly and hoped the man was not looking at that point. The power and blindness of AI.

You can buy any of the three from a pharmacist. They'll probably be suspicious, but I've heard of people who want to make their own fireworks (read: small little squibs that can deafen the neighbourhood) for New Year's Eve.

Last edited:
Back in a different era my uncle received a terse letter from the FAA regarding homemade rocketry. I'd be interesting to know how high that wagon axle got.

The traditional reply from any agricultural producer regarding anything going on in his backyard at night is that it is just moonshine. Did he try that one?

Well, he had written the regional FAA office beforehand in order to let them know the date/time to divert flights that might pass over the farm... now granted the response didn't come in until well after said flight had occurred. I think the rocket ploughed up the following spring. Was apparently quite the chore to extract. But it's a pretty safe bet that if it could bury through 6' of dirt, it probably could have penetrated from an attic to a basement.

You can buy any of the three from a pharmacist. They'll probably be suspicious, but I've heard of people who want to make their own fireworks (read: small little squibs that can deafen the neighbourhood) for New Year's Eve.
I think that is completely illegal in the uk, and this seems to agree. It is quite possible that you could actually get the 3 delivered to your house in one amazon order, but I would not want to.

…you can simply visit different pharmacies.

Well, he had written the regional FAA office beforehand in order to let them know the date/time to divert flights that might pass over the farm... now granted the response didn't come in until well after said flight had occurred. I think the rocket ploughed up the following spring. Was apparently quite the chore to extract. But it's a pretty safe bet that if it could bury through 6' of dirt, it probably could have penetrated from an attic to a basement.
I don't know if I like or despise your uncle based on this story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom