TIL: Today I Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
so just found out that in america chicken pox is vaccinated so that's kinda stupid

Do you mean chickens are vaccinated for pox?

Or is this about the human disease known as ‘chicken pox’?

OK, I'm not sure what it is that is stupid then.

I mean, he claimed that women having rights degrades society, so...
legalising female suffrage
the family is very strong

I somehow think that you are equating ‘family values’ to ‘keep the women at home until/after (delete whichever does not apply) they marry in/out (delete whichever does not apply)’.

I think it is possible to combine a healthy family structure and female suffrage (just think the latter is endorsed for the wrong reasons). And let's cut this off here, before another thread gets turned into a slugfest over Mouthwash's Absurd Opinions. :mischief:

Chicken pox is basically harmless, and it's a waste vaccinating against it
Before vaccination, 100 or so people died in the US from chicken pox each year, and about 100 die from shingles each year. After vaccination, the death rate is down to about 1 or 2 each year from chicken pox. The risk is small (except for babies born to mothers who get it while pregnant, where the death rate is now down to 7% from 30% when I was a kid), but we might as well reduce it farther by vaccinating.

Even without complications, chicken pox means a week or so of horrible itchiness for kids and a week or so of lost wages for the parent. I'd much rather have missed out on this and gotten a vaccination.

I remember going to a chicken pox party. I would have rather gotten a vaccination.

When I got chicken pox it was basically harmless, a week off school and not feeling too bad. Then I got shingles 3 years ago, and I am not sure I am fully recovered yet. I would do quite a lot to avoid that, a simple vaccination would have been great.

Yeah, my mother said shingles caused the worst pain she'd ever felt. Her pain did not linger, but her sister's pain lasted for a couple of years.

Denver voters narrowly passed a ballot measure making magic mushrooms the lowest priority for law enforcement. Only 11 cases were prosecuted the last 2-3 years so it was already a low priority but it appears to be the next drug on the decriminalization/legalization path.

Yeah, that one sounded a bit unnecessary.

As an infant "victim" of "forced circumcision" I have no strong opinion on the matter

edit: actually now I think on it at least one woman has told me she thinks foreskins are icky so I'm 100% pro-forced-circumcision

bad taste. foreskin are delicious, and involved in most of the traditional German sausage recipes. we use them in lotion, too!

CNN: For the first time ever, America's renewable energy sector may have generated more electricity than coal during the month of April, according to a recent report by the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis.

:goodjob::clap::yeah::wavey::run::dance::banana::salute::beer:[party]:high5::bounce::w00t::woohoo:
This explains why the US government is trying to prop up the latter against the former. :/
Before vaccination, 100 or so people died in the US from chicken pox each year, and about 100 die from shingles each year. After vaccination, the death rate is down to about 1 or 2 each year from chicken pox. The risk is small (except for babies born to mothers who get it while pregnant, where the death rate is now down to 7% from 30% when I was a kid), but we might as well reduce it farther by vaccinating.

Even without complications, chicken pox means a week or so of horrible itchiness for kids and a week or so of lost wages for the parent. I'd much rather have missed out on this and gotten a vaccination.
Yyyup, that's how it rolled for us. A couple weeks of not working for my smother, because a week of not touching one's scalp means a lot of headlice.

And permanent scarring. I have a lot of deep, permanent scars from it. There are also other more serious complications that go along with chicken pox as well.
When I got chicken pox it was basically harmless, a week off school and not feeling too bad. Then I got shingles 3 years ago, and I am not sure I am fully recovered yet. I would do quite a lot to avoid that, a simple vaccination would have been great.
One of my cousins nearly lost his sight and they had to put him on experimental retroviral drugs with horrible side effects to save his vision when he got shingles. He wasn't even a teenager at that time and to think he could have been disabled for his whole life is pretty crummy.

Yeah, my mother said shingles caused the worst pain she'd ever felt. Her pain did not linger, but her sister's pain lasted for a couple of years.
Does anyone know if the chicken pox vaccine can reduce your chances of getting shingles later in life if you got chicken pox as a child?

a week or so of lost wages for the parent.
imagine not getting paid because your child is sick lol

anyway my impression is it's easy to identify the few people susceptible to complications of chicken pox, and so they can be treated specifically, rather than dealing with everyone else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom