1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TIL: Today I Learned

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, May 24, 2013.

1. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

so just found out that in america chicken pox is vaccinated so that's kinda stupid

2. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Do you mean chickens are vaccinated for pox?

Or is this about the human disease known as ‘chicken pox’?

3. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

Latter one

4. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

OK, I'm not sure what it is that is stupid then.

5. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

Chicken pox is basically harmless, and it's a waste vaccinating against it

haroon likes this.
  6. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

I think it is possible to combine a healthy family structure and female suffrage (just think the latter is endorsed for the wrong reasons). And let's cut this off here, before another thread gets turned into a slugfest over Mouthwash's Absurd Opinions. :mischief:

7. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

CNN: For the first time ever, America's renewable energy sector may have generated more electricity than coal during the month of April, according to a recent report by the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis.

:goodjob::clap::yeah::wavey::run::dance::banana::salute::beer:[party]:high5::bounce::w00t::woohoo:

hobbsyoyo, Birdjaguar, The_J and 2 others like this.
  8. CKS

CKS Deity

Before vaccination, 100 or so people died in the US from chicken pox each year, and about 100 die from shingles each year. After vaccination, the death rate is down to about 1 or 2 each year from chicken pox. The risk is small (except for babies born to mothers who get it while pregnant, where the death rate is now down to 7% from 30% when I was a kid), but we might as well reduce it farther by vaccinating.

Even without complications, chicken pox means a week or so of horrible itchiness for kids and a week or so of lost wages for the parent. I'd much rather have missed out on this and gotten a vaccination.

9. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I remember going to a chicken pox party. I would have rather gotten a vaccination.

10. Samson

Samson Deity

When I got chicken pox it was basically harmless, a week off school and not feeling too bad. Then I got shingles 3 years ago, and I am not sure I am fully recovered yet. I would do quite a lot to avoid that, a simple vaccination would have been great.

hobbsyoyo and haroon like this.
  11. CKS

CKS Deity

Yeah, my mother said shingles caused the worst pain she'd ever felt. Her pain did not linger, but her sister's pain lasted for a couple of years.

12. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Denver voters narrowly passed a ballot measure making magic mushrooms the lowest priority for law enforcement. Only 11 cases were prosecuted the last 2-3 years so it was already a low priority but it appears to be the next drug on the decriminalization/legalization path.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  13. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah, that one sounded a bit unnecessary.

14. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

bad taste. foreskin are delicious, and involved in most of the traditional German sausage recipes. we use them in lotion, too!

haroon likes this.
  15. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

This explains why the US government is trying to prop up the latter against the former. :/
    Yyyup, that's how it rolled for us. A couple weeks of not working for my smother, because a week of not touching one's scalp means a lot of headlice.

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

And permanent scarring. I have a lot of deep, permanent scars from it. There are also other more serious complications that go along with chicken pox as well.
    One of my cousins nearly lost his sight and they had to put him on experimental retroviral drugs with horrible side effects to save his vision when he got shingles. He wasn't even a teenager at that time and to think he could have been disabled for his whole life is pretty crummy.

Does anyone know if the chicken pox vaccine can reduce your chances of getting shingles later in life if you got chicken pox as a child?

17. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

There is a shingles 2 vaccine for adults that reduces ones chance of getting the ailment.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/public/index.html

The_J and hobbsyoyo like this.
  18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Sweet. TIL

19. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

imagine not getting paid because your child is sick lol

anyway my impression is it's easy to identify the few people susceptible to complications of chicken pox, and so they can be treated specifically, rather than dealing with everyone else

20. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

it's the freedom to free you from employment