1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Toku Deity Raging Barbs

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Pangaea, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I've never been able to fix that bug, which came with Buffy 005 - probably needs MapFinder updated ugh, but not sure why you are trying to regenerate a map on turn 200 odd? Did you just hit the wrong key combo or something.

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

So you've seen this before. I was only able to reproduce the exact message by pressing ALT+CTL+G in-game on a turn that was not Turn 0. In that case, I'm not sure I'd call it a bug. MF not supposed to run on a turn other than Turn 0.

The issue is if this message is appearing for some other reason I'm not aware of. Maybe somehow some shortcuts got mixed up here.

3. drewisfat

drewisfat King

I received that error a few days ago, when I hadn't set up the path for mapfinder saves yet, as the default placeholder is not correct. (You do this through the BUG settings in game top left of screen, and then map tab). I literally just couldn't find it, you may have already found it, but it would suggest to me that it's a save path issue.

4. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I had mapfinder installed briefly ages ago, but I did uninstall it, and after the clean install I just did I have not installed it again. (But there is a tab in buffy for mapfinder, perhaps it's included there?)
    I might be pushing the shortcut by accident, I mash buttons alot all the time when moving units "select group, unselect, select wounded" etc etc.

5. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Well, it does seem like I'm by accident pushing the shortcut key, because when I mash ctrl+alt+G I do get the message.
    But in the options tab, I have disabled map finder though, so I'm not sure why it responds to the shortcut command.

Attached Files:

6. lymond

I'd say that the button mashing is probably accidently kicking off MF tool. Grouping does use button G too.

I just tried ALT+G and that kicks off the message too, but do not believe that is a defined MF shortcut. That may be a bug.

edit: nevermind....ALT+G does a regen. ALT+CTL+G starts the MF running

yep, disabling MF in options does not appear to disable the shortcuts.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    krikav likes this.
  7. drewisfat

drewisfat King

Clearly you're not allowed to uninstall mapfinder. Once you're a HoF noob your soul is no longer your own. Reinstall it and set the save path to wherever it is, probably more complex than C:\Map_Finder

sampsa likes this.
  8. lymond

haha...well, krik's issue is he wasn't actually trying to run MF.

9. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@lymond Well, that explains it then. I push alt+G alot in my games to select groups of units. Thats what triggering the message then.

10. lymond

civ iv keyboard shortcuts

11. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

You'll see it as well if it's turn 0 and MF can't regenerate the map e.g. because you've already met another civ! With Buffy 3 it highlighted the message in colour, in Buffy 005 that doesn't work for some reason.

12. lymond

Interestingly, ALT+G was a shortcut apparently defined by the BULL mod. (I had thought it was a standard civ iv shortcut since the game does have a regen map feature via the menu). BULL also apparently tied directly to MF.

So anyway, avoid using ALT+G for unit grouping..ha

13. lymond

I recall color messages back when I used it too. Merely an aesthetic thing but probably worth looking into at some point.

Appears to be an XML problem. I don't know where the color modules reside. It may be outside the mod itself.

14. Noble Zarkon

Yeah it's on my list but pretty far down it :)

15. lymond

Color Values is a vanilla xml module located here:

Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Interface

For some reason BUFFY-3.19.005\Assets\XML\Text\MapFinder_CIV4GameText.xml is not communicating with that module.

16. Noble Zarkon

17. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Is there some way that I can disable mapfinder alltogether? Or at least disable the shortcuts (alt+g) ? I wouldn't know how to play without handling units with that command.

18. lymond

What do you use ALT+G to do with units? It's not defined for that as far as I know.

I don't think there is a way to disable the shortcut without altering the mod, but we are talking about an action that really should not be performed.

ALT+Click is the shortcut to group units

(I need to check in-game to see if there is not a shortcut conflict that I'm not aware of)

19. lymond

Hmm...okay....ALT+G is defined as Go-to Mode (All Units). It selects all units on the tile and activates Go-to mode at the same time. That is a conflict that I'm surprised has not come up before. ALT-G is not listed in the defined vanilla shortcuts but that my be an oversight. Either that or it was added with the mod at some point.

edit: ALT-G is a vanilla civ IV defined shortcut for Go-To (All Units). [Game has as a defined button for this action too] Apparently this was an oversight by the original BUG or HOF team when MF and shortcuts were created. Probably something we will have to look into. Surprised this has not come up before, but I never used that shortcut combo myself for that purpose.

Won't derail this thread further. Only too 16 years for us to figure this out :lol: I told krik...keep screwing up and we'll keep finding stuff. :lol:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  20. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I use that all the time, it selects all units on a tile in a easy manner.
    It gets totally screwed up when a ship or a airship/plane is on the tile though... So I'm probably not using it right.
    How do you select all units on a tile?