Fees are calculated on basis of hours spent preparing, hearings attended etc. Hard to calculate in advance.
If I was in that position, I reckon I could find a way. Estimates, and only leaving the balance not the whole bill to the end would be an obvious way.

Bill as you go, with agreed payments every day, maybe as long as a week. There are limitations on the reasons a lawyer can drop client in the middle of ongoing work, but nonpayment is number one. Imagine that. :lol:

That is how pre-pay work: You pay a certain amount, and as soon as it looks like that amount is used up, you are asked to pay more into the pool... ;-)

Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell give depositions in the Dominion trial

Allies of former President Donald Trump testified under oath that they had done little to verify debunked claims of fraud in the 2020 election before spreading them on the national stage, according to tapes of their depositions obtained exclusively by CNN.

"We had a report that the heads of Dominion and Smartmatic, somewhere in the mid-tweens, you know 2013, 2014, whatever, went down to Venezuela for a get-to-know meeting with (President Nicolás) Maduro so they could demonstrate to Maduro the kind of vote fixing they did for (former President Hugo) Chavez," Giuliani said during his deposition.
"You say the heads of Dominion and Smartmatic," Coomer's attorney begins, before Giuliani interjects.
"Yes, that's what I was told. ... Before the press conference I was told about it," he said. "Sometimes I go and look myself -- when stuff comes up. This time I didn't have the time to do it."
He continues: "It's not my job, in a fast-moving case, to go out and investigate every piece of evidence that was given to me. Otherwise, you're never going to write a story. You'll never come to a conclusion."

For her part, Powell admits in the deposition footage that getting to the truth was not one of her objectives.
"You had the ear of a number of conservative media outlets. Why did you not ask to provide a statement correcting the misstatements that you had reported?" Coomer's attorney asks.
"That didn't seem to be the material part of the inquiry," Powell replied.

Court records reviewed by CNN last month show that Giuliani spent less than an hour reviewing allegations that Coomer was part of a plot to rig the election before publicly making those claims at a November news conference.
And when Powell was deposed by Coomer's lawyer, she acknowledged that she did not have "a lot of specific knowledge about what Mr. Coomer personally did" in the supposed scheme to steal the election.​

"It's not my job, in a fast-moving case, to go out and investigate every piece of evidence that was given to me. Otherwise, you're never going to write a story. You'll never come to a conclusion."
This is literally why he's on the hook for libel.

Yeah, you can't expect investigating to get in the way of forming a conclusion. C'mon!

Trump supporters are such nice people.

Reuters unmasks Trump supporters who terrified U.S. election officials

Law enforcement has taken little action as backers of Donald Trump aim stark threats at election officials. Reuters tracked down nine of the harassers. Most were unrepentant.

By LINDA SO and JASON SZEP
Filed Nov. 9, 2021, 11 a.m. GMT

This story contains text, images and audio clips with offensive language.

In Arizona, a stay-at-home dad and part-time Lyft driver told the state’s chief election officer she would hang for treason. In Utah, a youth treatment center staffer warned Colorado’s election chief that he knew where she lived and watched her as she slept.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-election-threats

Last edited:
I'm still slightly terrified that this whole 1/6 investigation will go nowhere, outside of some random people getting a few weeks in jail, & a literal Insurrection will just be a blip on the radar, but incrementally, I get slight encouragement.

This is one of those incremental times that maybe it matters.

If it ruins the reputations of Trump and his allies, that will be enough. If it feeds the ongoing efforts to put Trump in jail, it will be enough. If it further radicalizes the GOP so they offer crap candidates for elections, it will be enough.

It's already stopped mattering.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1458173638675415042

On Jan. 7, a top GOP lobbyist & fundraiser emailed party officials to quit because he said he was so disgusted. But at major donor retreat last month where Trump was main speaker, he was there. GOP now leads Dems in $$$$ after threats to shun post-Jan. 6.

They haven't moderated to get back in donors' good books, they just waited while whipping themselves up more with the Big Lie.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/11/10/judge-rejects-trumps-records-jan-6-committee-520768

Judge again rejects Trump’s effort to delay Jan. 6 committee’s bid for his White House records

The first tranche of records Trump is seeking to block includes files from his former chief of staff Mark Meadows, as well as call and visitor logs. An additional set is due to be provided to the committee on Nov. 26.

Chutkan last week heard oral arguments in Trump’s emergency effort to block the committee. On Monday night, before Chutkan ruled on the matter, Trump urged the judge to preemptively block the effect of her ruling in order to give him time to appeal before Friday’s deadline. But Chutkan quickly rejected that request, calling it legally deficient, since she couldn’t block a ruling that hadn’t been issued.

In her 39-page ruling on Tuesday, Chutkan again denied Trump’s effort to delay the committee’s access to his documents, saying his role as a former president gave him no power to overrule the sitting president on matters of executive privilege — particularly on a matter of grave national significance.

“Presidents are not kings, and Plaintiff is not President,” she wrote.

He has one shot left, to convince the appeals court to stop the national archive handing over the record tomorrow. It is so close. I guess we will not see them then though.

I'm still slightly terrified that this whole 1/6 investigation will go nowhere, outside of some random people getting a few weeks in jail, & a literal Insurrection will just be a blip on the radar, but incrementally, I get slight encouragement.

This is one of those incremental times that maybe it matters.
*sigh* I should know better than to hope.

Top Bottom