UK Election Results 2010

Real disappointing for the Lib Dems... PRs looking like a a distant possibility now.

The only way a clear majority could arise is via a Lib Con pact, but that's far from likely. Probably gonna see a short lived minority government... maybe Lab/Lib.

Nick Robinson sez:

The BBC projections show the shape of two possible rival power blocs:

LAB: 261
LD: 55
SDLP: 3
ALLIANCE: 1
Possible total: 320

CON: 306
DUP: 8
IND UN: 1
Possible total: 315

Non-aligned:
SNP + PC: 9
GREEN: 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/nickrobinson/2010/05/two_possible_bl.html

The actual numbers may have changed since 9am though, but really there's no clear winner in this.

My prediction is a Tory minority government. Whether that means they lurch right, to appeal to their base and ensure support on bills, or left, to appeal for support across the aisle, I don't know...

Awake again now!

Well done Greens getting their first MP.

How far ahead was Cameron when the campaign started? Massive fail for him.

Short lived minority Lib/Lab government will mean Tories win next time.

That's why I want a Tory gov't now.

I've said this before but I might as well say it again. The Tories will be able to do things we all agree on, like a points system for immigration, or cutting the deficit (they'll probably do their extra £6bn this year, boo freaking hoo), etc. But they won't have a strong enough mandate to do the really damaging things that the Thatcherites want.

Surprise surprise, Lib Dem "support" fails to materialise in the voting booth...

I love how its hung and I have always supported the notion of voting for independents! :)

I think its quite absurd that many Cameron-supporters argue that Gordon Brown has been rejected. In UK politics, the people do not vote for the Prime Minister.

We vote for our constituency's MP and Gordon Brown won in his constituency. That is not a rejection.

That's why I want a Tory gov't now.

I've said this before but I might as well say it again. The Tories will be able to do things we all agree on, like a points system for immigration, or cutting the deficit (they'll probably do their extra £6bn this year, boo freaking hoo), etc. But they won't have a strong enough mandate to do the really damaging things that the Thatcherites want.

Yes, I find myself in a quandary. Lab/Lib will not be good for (near) future elections, the Tories would definitely win. At the same time I don't really like the idea of wishing the Tories into office.

Terriable, terriable result.

At leats it's hung.....

The Lib dems should side with Labour if we can, lets get PR pushed through, lets smash the right-wing media's ability to dictate our election results!

Well the exit poll we all dismissed seems remarkably accurate.

Yes, I find myself in a quandary. Lab/Lib will not be good for (near) future elections, the Tories would definitely win. At the same time I don't really like the idea of wishing the Tories into office.
I'm a little concerned about why the Conservatives gained seats. Could those votes be on the back of a single issue, or even one-half of an issue? :dubious:

If Lib/Lab can identify the exact source of support then they can take it back at the next election. Clearly the Conservatives don't have a strong set of policies because they failed last night.

Well the exit poll we all dismissed seems remarkably accurate.
I didn't dismiss it, largely since it backed up what I was predicting myself :smug:

(Seriously, being right about the result is one of the few good things to come out of this election :p )

Terriable, terriable result.

At leats it's hung.....

The Lib dems should side with Labour if we can, lets get PR pushed through, lets smash the right-wing media's ability to dictate our election results!

Fingers crossed... shocking result alright

The media seriously overblew the Nick Clegg surge, the whole oh he's a British Obama thing doesn't work, dude was a running a American style presidential camaign in Britian, whats with that? (well so were Brown and the fascist but whatever)

Clegg sticks by his assertion that the Tories should have first attempt at forming a government.

Important to remind ourselves in all this that a majority of voters -- 52% -- favour a centre left, progressive government, whereas barely 36% of voters want a conservative government.

Top Bottom