UK Politics - Weeny, Weedy, Weaky

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do conservative MPs want? It is not just money; they want power and status too:

1. I.e. To be re-elected
2. To do that we need a charismatic leader who might win a general election.
3. Which one of the 9 candidates for leader has a track record of winning electons.
4. Boris Johnson got elected as Mayor of London, a Labourish city, twice.
5. OK, we will choose Boris.(who is at least the polar opposite of Theresa May).

In normal times. Jeremy Hunt might be a safer bet, but we live in interesting times.
I do not disagree with any of the above, which is why I think they'll appoint Boris Johnson the Prime Minister.
EnglishEdward said:
I would hope that any poll asking about obscure political terms would explain them first.
Yes; I would hope that too; but withou knowing what any
explanation was, I cannot regard that poll as meaningful.
Does this apply to the Brexit referendum as well? Asking for a friend.
Meanwhile, Chuka Umunna has joined the Liberal Democrats,
I've long said that a large part of Labour is far more of a ‘Liberal’ party than anything else.
Arakhor said:
Who?
Arakhor said:
and Michael Gove's education policy has unsurprisingly backfired, with over 80% of previously "Outstanding" schools not checked since 2011 no longer meeting that grade.
Unsurprisingly indeed.

Matt Hancock is the current Health Secretary, a job Jeremy Hunt took great effort to screw up in.

It was more of a rhetorical ‘who?’, just to highlight the fact that his candidacy was a joke.

There was a while back an article on govt budget deficit and national debt strategies.
The recommendation (in that article aimed at financial conservative governments) was that if you were likely to lose the next election anyway, you should max your spending to the pain threshold to take that financial room at least away from your (succeeding) political enemy. Mowing the grass away from them to do popular actions.

There can ofc be other factors as well, like a revengeful Theresa May:
The obscene sight of Tory leadership candidates splashing out cash by the bucketload is just one of the head-clutching, this-can’t-be-happening unbelievables of this extraordinary time. Spaffing it up the wall doesn’t begin to express the revolting spectacle of wild tax cuts and eye-catching gimmicks from the same austerians who garrotted every public service. Theresa May is the biggest spender, spraying goodbye billions on mental health, schools, colleges and a zero-carbon pledge, while Philip Hammond’s Treasury declares it “immoral” to steal from the emergency no-deal fund. What does she care? She is taking her revenge on them all.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/17/theresa-may-brexit-referendum

Hammond decided to raise the stakes by threatening to resign on short notice if May would be serious in spending his small war treasure chest planned for no-deal smoothening.
(Reuters) - British finance minister Philip Hammond is “prepared to resign” over Prime Minister Theresa May’s legacy spending plans, ITV said on Tuesday, citing the Press Association.
Senior government sources told the Press Association that tension between officials at the Treasury and the prime minister’s office had reached boiling point over May’s spending intentions, according to ITV.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-b...ys-spending-plans-itv-citing-pa-idUKKCN1TJ05X

Strong and stable :lol::lol::lol:

...Health Secretary, a job Jeremy Hunt took great effort to screw up in.

I am by no means a fan of Jeremy Hunt, but IIRC the conservative manifesto promised to move the NHS on
to a fully 7 day week service, without considering the staffing issues and without finding any additional funds.
So there was a confrontation between J Hunt and the medical profession as he imposed contract changes.

There was a while back an article on govt budget deficit and national debt strategies.
The recommendation (in that article aimed at financial conservative governments) was that if you were likely to lose the next election anyway,
you should max your spending to the pain threshold to take that financial room at least away from your (succeeding) political enemy.
Mowing the grass away from them to do popular actions.

Yes, this is a tactic for the right wingers; create a deficit and blame the left.

There can ofc be other factors as well, like a revengeful Theresa May
:

I think that she is doing it as a deliberate spoiling tactic for her conservative successor rather than for Jeremy Corbyn..

Hammond decided to raise the stakes by threatening to resign on short notice if May would
be serious in spending his small war treasure chest planned for no-deal smoothening.

Good for him. I find the unfunded taxation cut promises of several of the candidates quite irresponsible.

How did that happen? Wasn't he supposed to make it to the final two?

What I understand is that the ERG decided it would be better to have Hunt as final candidate than Gove or Raab.
And they "advice" to some MP's where to vote.... a whole layer of tactics there.

I don't know. I think Dominic Raab was competing in almost the same space as Boris Johnson.
I doubt that his line on proroguing parliament helped. Most of his votes may go to the Boris.

I don't know. I think Dominic Raab was competing in almost the same space as Boris Johnson.
I doubt that his line on proroguing parliament helped. Most of his votes may go to the Boris.

Raab would try to outbid Johnson which would put Johnson in a squeeze.
Hunt is harmless.
Gove knows too much.

What does amaze me is how the pos Erg can so easily backpedal on its own "hard brexit at all cost" and support BonoJo, who now seems to present the rhetoric of "use the threat of hard brexit to secure a better lexit".
Wasn't the Erg all about hard brexit?

You are not going to understand Leavers if you persist in using Remoaner terms such as "hard Brexit" and "soft Brexit".
That terminology was specifically deployed to obfuscate the fact that the pro European side lost the Referendum in June 2016.

What does amaze me is how the pos Erg can so easily backpedal on its own "hard brexit at all cost" and support BonoJo, who now seems to present the rhetoric of "use the threat of hard brexit to secure a better lexit".
Wasn't the Erg all about hard brexit?

Guess hanging on to their seats is top priority. Wait and watch them support a 2nd referendum when Boris can't get no deal through and doesn't want to risk an election.

Just elect Boris already. I so want to see him negotiate with the EU.

Also from the Graun comments today: – Doesn’t it make you proud? Out of a population of 60 million we can whittle it down to these five talents.

(Lil B got talent!)

Treeza May once appointed him to head the Foreign Office. Whom will Boris appoint?
The Honorable Member from the Eighteenth Century, Jacob Rees-Mogg? Should be a laugh trying to explain to him that Britain no longer rules Canada, Australia, India, or the colonies in Africa.

This is going to the reality of this isn't it?

Don't be so scared. It's a good situation: whatever happens I see no path for the british establishment to come out on top. Some nasty people are going to lose power internally.

They can't place the Liberal Democrats in government because a blairite LD will never wipe out Labour and get enough votes to rule alone. And can't do alliances.

They can't keep the Conservatives in power because the conservatives under a "reasonable" leader will be wiped out in the next election. And under a "populist" leader it'll have to do stuff that destabilizes the power of these people and splits the tories anyway.

They can't control, or count on, the loose cannon Farage and his ragtag group.

That leaves Labour. Expect a renewed, desperate push to eliminate Corbyn and his backers. Or else no stability of power ahead. And that is good for the people. After about 40 years of being government by shameless agents of the rentier classes the UK may come out of this with a government that at least will have to appease the public. Or even by people genuinely interesting in the public good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom