[GS] Unique Unit Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 5 = 4 + 1 agreed. This unit is more impactful than the toa. Idk if we should be considering how the AI uses these but Monte can take you out with these. I've never feared the Toa from Kupe, probably because he is the most incompetent Ai there is. His capital is always a one or two tile island and he puts his other settlers way far away from his capital and loses them to loyalty. Also his dumb grunt when you don't give into his demand. Sorry we are talking about units, but Kupe bugs me.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 40
Toa (Maori) – 5 = 8 - 3
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 23

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 2 (5-3) Still deserving of being in the top 4.
Toa (Maori) – 6 (5+1) I'm in the camp that prefers classical era warfare, and this is the last representation of that. Just glad to see it make at least top 3
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 26

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 2-3=-1 (ELIMINATED) - All remaining units are great, but movement is a rather important part of unit to me, especially in early game without infractructure and with sole cities far away from each other. At least you can choose to land near another Civ as Kupe, guaranteeing you'll find a use for Toa. And hey, given how many units there are in game, 4th place is no shame.
Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 40+1=41 - I'd be repeating myself, so I'll just say that these, War-Carts (and early game Americans) and a flood of Hoplites are probably the only units that made me ragequit because they ruined perfect starts by kicking my butt out of those perfect lands I could have for myself, with me being able to do almost nothing against them.
Toa (Maori) – 6
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 23

Looks like @Kmart_Elvis missed some votes. Fixed here.

Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 38 (41-3) I personally consider these the least valuable of those remaining, only because the alternative (a Nubian Archer) is already a powerhouse. The added value is relatively low. Alas, people still seem stuck in the CiV ranged is God mentality.
Toa (Maori) – 6
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 24 (23+1) Despite it's destiny of second place, I truly believe this to be the unrivaled number one unit. Literally no other unit can accomplish so much, so easily. Woe to any, and I mean any, who meet Sumer first.

I firmly believe that while we got the correct top 4, the order will prove to be all out of wack (Pitati Archer->War-Cart->Toa->Eagle Warrior, instead of War-Cart->Toa->Eagle Warrior->Pitati Archer). Ah well, that's just from my perspective. Clearly many here have a different idea of things.

I will note that when Nubia was announced, I thought it would be the perfect civ. Bonus to ranged units? A more powerful ranged unit? Bonus to production? In particular, district production? What's not to love, that's everything the meta of the time said was best. And yet, in practice it has never failed to underwhelm me.

Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 39 (38+1) --- Overpowered ranged unit, promotes faster, moves 3, can take a hit. Far and away #1. OP.
Toa (Maori) – 6
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 21 (24-3) --- Maybe I have it out for this unit but with the cav nerf, city state wall change, and speed of AI wall building on deity, this thing being in the top 3 bugs me. On deity standard speed, classical warfare with Pitati's is easy, eagles are situationally easy or challenging, warcarts generally difficult with certain exceptions.

Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 40 (39+1) - Probably second best UU.
Toa (Maori) – 6
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 18 (21-3) I can't hit Toa due to its scare ability and defensive improvement construction ability. So I'll hit warcart instead, which despite its mobility, is very vulnerable to simple archers.

Rules
  • Only strength of units/usefulness is compared. This also includes, range, cost of the units, availability and whether it can evolve from earlier units/to later units.
  • Vote roughly once per 24 hours. Voting significantly earlier must be explained.
  • Add one point to a unit, take away three points from a different unit.
  • You must give a reason. Posts without reason will not be counted until a reason will be added.
  • Voting for the same unit several times is not forbidden, however try to spread your votes around and be fair in your assessments.
Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 17 (20-3) - according to the rules we should not consider its making builders.
Rules quoted above. I honestly do not see why. "Making builders" definitely falls under the "usefulness" criteria, and it is purely the ability of the unit, not that of the leader or civilization. And "also includes" does not mean "is limited to" as far as my knowledge of English allows to judge, although as a non-native speaker, I find some words rather tricky, and "including" is one of them, despite learning the language for over ~35 years now.

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 8 = 11 - 3 Whatever insane notion that these can last "until the end of the game" is founded upon a fundamental misunderstanding of combat and corps/army mechanics. An Eagle Warrior army, if you were crazy enough to not upgrade your ancient era warriors, has a base combat strength of 45.
Battlecry +7, Commando +1 movement, Zweihander +7 vs anticav, Elite Guard +1 attack, can move after attacking. For example, a single Zw promoted EW vs unpromoted AI P&Sh is 45 (Ancient Era) vs 55 (Renaissance Era). An army of similarly promoted EW attacking vs unpromoted AI AT unit is 62 (Ancient Era) vs 70 (Modern Era), nothing too tragic, considering eras. By Modern era it would not be difficult to have those 4 promotions, and AI certainly fields some AT units. So EW can take head on some of modern units. But in most of the cases you would not be so reckless as to throw them head on, would you? Usually you would reduce enemy units to just a few hitpoints, before striking with EW deep from behind the front lines. 3 movement points and ability to move after attacking, if necessary, certainly allows for that. And reward is a possible builder as a bonus.

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 5 (8-3) Always refreshing to see people making the same argument I made so long ago to vote these down. Just started a new game, shuffle map type of standard size. Started my own mini-continent with no other civs or CS around. As I've met other civs I've found that they are quite far away, and same for CS. It is possible to embark to get to them, but when I need to tech all the way to shipbuilding just to use my unique warriors that's a problem.
The thing is always in perspective. What if Shuffle map would've landed you with Amanitore in such a situation? Those Pitatis would've won you the game by shooting 10 tiles across the ocean, no doubt. Shuffle map once landed me with Spain on some ~20 tile island isolated by ocean on all sides. Should've I concluded that Spain, Phillip II and his Conquistadors were complete losers?

Funnily enough, I also started a game, to check if can trust my judgement any more. I've hardly ever played Marathon before, so I tried Marathon speed and Huge map, Continents. On turn 159, 4 EW and 2 archers had already brought me the hearts of Kupe and Mvemba a Nzinga, and let me annex their 8 cities, despite all the jungle and forests and rivers, and they also netted me at least 6 or more builders (at least 18 charges). Turn 159 on Marathon converts into turn 53 on standard, although I do understand that everything is no so simple, units do get to move more, but they also spend much more time in production.

Last edited:
Toa (Maori) – 7 (6+1) forced to pick between this and the war cart, I pick this because I've had more fun with them and they last longer.
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 15 (18-3) only because I like the toa more and in my few games with Sumeria, I didn't have close enough neighbors to put them to good use

Toa (Maori) - 4 (7-3) - Doesn’t sync with its civ as well as the others.
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 16 (15+1) - syncs better with its civ than the toa due to gilgas barb hunting ability

Toa (Maori) – 5 = 4 + 1. Doing my best to get these guys to the top. Seems I'm fighting a losing battle.
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 13 = 16 - 3. Weakest of the remaining units. High production cost and low window of relevancy.

Should be all fixed now.

Eagle Warrior (Aztec) – 1 = 4 - 3. Weakest of the remaining units. High production cost and low window of relevancy.
Toa (Maori) – 9 = 8 + 1. Doing my best to get these guys to the top. Seems I'm fighting a losing battle.
War-Cart (Sumeria) – 23
My friend, the Eagle Warrior was eliminated. I think you missed several posts.

Toa (Maori) – 6 (5 + 1) 3 units in one.
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 10 (13 - 3) Great but deserves the third spot.

Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 41 (40+1) This is best.
Toa (Maori) – 6
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 7 (10-3) This is third best.

Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 42 (41+1) I agree that his is the best UU.
Toa (Maori) – 6
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 4 (7-3) While this is indeed a powerful unit, I never have problems dealing with Gilgamesh. Just make friends as soon as you meet him, and he will happily send his war carts elsewhere..

Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 42
Toa (Maori) – 6 +1=7 - they basically enable Kupes early game. Indispensable
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 4-3=1 i agree that ive not feared Gilga or these beasties as much as i should on paper. I take them out with carefully placed archers, not even anti cav

Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 42
Toa (Maori) – 7-3=4 They just have less influence on how the game plays out, and should go before War-Carts.
War-Cart (Sumeria) - 1+1=2 The ultimate ancient era threat

Pítati Archer (Nubia) – 43 (42+1) Well deserved
Toa (Maori) – 0 (1-3) ELIMINATED. A really great unit but nothing was going to top the Pitati...

Moderator Action: As this game is complete, this thread is closed.

Reminder that anyone (other than the thread starter, Kmart_Elvis) is eligible to propose a new elimination game thread. Just PM a moderator for permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom