V24 Bugs/crashes reporting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AI in my game seems to be very good at avoiding revolutions up until 1500 turns into the game on Eternity. And only a few empires suffer from them after that. I'm playing on a huge (or giant) archipelago map. Many empires build 11-12 cities in Chiefdom (with city limits enabled. I can't remember if these still apply to the AI).
So you might see no revolutions because the AI is now better at it than previous versions.

I've been able to reproduce the effect on this save game. The active unit should be a Caravel. Oddly enough, the Caravel doesn't come up as active on loading the game even though it has not yet moved, but if you left-click on the Caravel, the Caravel will be activated. If you move the Caravel due west, it will leave behind a halo in the outer ring of squares that were visible to it before moving.

Sadly the problem is already baked into this save. Some sea plots have visibility counts of 2 even though only one unit, such as the caraval can see them. This means that when the caraval moves on it removes its contribution, but still leaves a count of 1, so the tiles remiain visible. I've played on a fwe turns, hoping to reproduce it on ocean that was not visible in the save (which would then have to b a new case), but I can't do so.

I can see one flaw in the code that might explain this, but I don't think it maps to your game - that case is where extra visibility range is being obatined by a unit due to a promotion on a great general that is nearby providing it, but that seems very unlikely in your case.

I'll go back to the 1964 save you posted earlier and play forward from then to see if that tells me anything extra.

What I need to find is a save game + recipe that reproduces the issue where the eventual visible tile that shouldn't be, was not visible in the save. If we can find something that meets those conditions it should be diagnosable (still hoping that the 1964 save will qualify, but not sure yet)

Edit - no go - the 1964 save still has the same tiles altready visible

@Koshling:

The ocean and coast terrain in this pic looks slightly odd near the Scout. I wonder if this is because those tiles were unrevealed at the start of that turn.

Edit: There is still an issue with unrevealed tiles, as you can see from pics 2 and 3 the unrevealed tiles next to revealed tiles are still becoming revealed for a bit.

@Koshling:

The ocean and coast terrain in this pic looks slightly odd near the Scout. I wonder if this is because those tiles were unrevealed at the start of that turn.
Maybe, but it's not bad enough to worry me too much.

Edit: There is still an issue with unrevealed tiles, as you can see from pics 2 and 3 the unrevealed tiles next to revealed tiles are still becoming revealed for a bit.

I can't tell from your pics which one(s) are revealed that shouldn't be. Can you clarify. Also did you read the post I made on the fix for the artifacting on the SVN thread? The fix for that was to compromise slightly on what gets temporarily revealed (ie - water tiles adjacent to revealed tiles still transiently show up). Since I canm't tell which tiles are incorrectly revealed from the images you posted I don't know if that accounts for it. If it doesn't please clarify and include a save game.

I can't tell from your pics which one(s) are revealed that shouldn't be. Can you clarify. Also did you read the post I made on the fix for the artifacting on the SVN thread? The fix for that was to compromise slightly on what gets temporarily revealed (ie - water tiles adjacent to revealed tiles still transiently show up). Since I canm't tell which tiles are incorrectly revealed from the images you posted I don't know if that accounts for it. If it doesn't please clarify and include a save game.

Look closely at the red circled plots in this pic, they are slightly unrevealed, I was late in getting the screenshot. I was using SVN 3219, which had all of your artifact fixes so far. Your compromise fix may account for it now that I think about it. Do you have any other ideas for the unrevealed tiles issue, or will this compromise have to work?

I have built the culture Mayan, and it is present as a resource in all my cities, but I can only build the Ball Court in the actual city I built the culture Mayan. I can build the UU anywhere but not the UB.

The rider on the Balista Mammoth is hanging from the left side.

Look closely at the red circled plots in this pic, they are slightly unrevealed, I was late in getting the screenshot. I was using SVN 3219, which had all of your artifact fixes so far. Your compromise fix may account for it now that I think about it. Do you have any other ideas for the unrevealed tiles issue, or will this compromise have to work?

If it was ocean that was revealed (or water at least) there's not much more I can do. If it was land it's a bug that can probably be addressed, and I need a save that reproduces it to diagnose it.

Funny thing happens with this save when I do the following:

• Enter the city screen of Thebes
  • Press ctrl a and try to delete the Aerodrome
  • Wait for a number of minutes when you think that the game freezes
  • Observe that Thebes has been wiped off the map just leaving city ruins!

BTW, I wanted to delete the Aerodrome as air pollution is really a hazzle in the game. I built everything I could to reduce it and already deleted a number of buildings but it is still higher than 700. I´d love to see more options to reduce pollution, e.g. by more buildings/wonders or by civics.

Just pushed a fix to SVN. It was a bug (and old one) in the abandon building Python that incorrectly used a building class id where it should have had a building id. The result was it interpretted the Aerodrome's building id as a building class id which was one larger than the largest building class id, which is hte code it uses to signal an abandonment of the entire city.

If it was ocean that was revealed (or water at least) there's not much more I can do. If it was land it's a bug that can probably be addressed, and I need a save that reproduces it to diagnose it.

Ah, then that is that then. I still hope that some fix can eventually be found for the water too, but for now it is OK.

Just pushed a fix to SVN. It was a bug (and old one) in the abandon building Python that incorrectly used a building class id where it should have had a building id. The result was it interpretted the Aerodrome's building id as a building class id which was one larger than the largest building class id, which is hte code it uses to signal an abandonment of the entire city.

Gaah! I remember fixing that bug way back before AND.:blush:

SVN is 3222 for this symptom. The screen shot shows an empty AI city and a stack of 3 units 2 tiles away. The units were in the city and went for a walk.

The units left the city 2 turns earlier. I've loaded the save game from that turn, and I think I turned on the BBAI log to level 3. It created a text file in the folder I instructed it to. But if something is missing let me know and I can redo the turn.

SVN is 3222 for this symptom. The screen shot shows an empty AI city and a stack of 3 units 2 tiles away. The units were in the city and went for a walk.

The units left the city 2 turns earlier. I've loaded the save game from that turn, and I think I turned on the BBAI log to level 3. It created a text file in the folder I instructed it to. But if something is missing let me know and I can redo the turn.

This should suffice. Thanks for the details - I'll try to look into it today.

I've finally figured out why I have so many CtD's. Everytime the save game file gets to around 1.85 Meg it just shuts down. No MAF's at all, it's like I dropped the game down to do something else but the game isn't in the task bar.

So, I'm wondering what the best spec's a PC would need that would enable me to play this Mod without having to worry about things like this spoiling my enjoyment?

Current Specs are:
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
2.91 GHz
3.50 GB of RAM
Video Card is NVIDIA GeForce GTS250

Alternatively is there anything I can do to the settings on my PC that may allow me to play longer?

I've finally figured out why I have so many CtD's. Everytime the save game file gets to around 1.85 Meg it just shuts down. No MAF's at all, it's like I dropped the game down to do something else but the game isn't in the task bar.

So, I'm wondering what the best spec's a PC would need that would enable me to play this Mod without having to worry about things like this spoiling my enjoyment?

Current Specs are:
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
2.91 GHz
3.50 GB of RAM
Video Card is NVIDIA GeForce GTS250

Alternatively is there anything I can do to the settings on my PC that may allow me to play longer?

More RAM, or play with viewports on.

More RAM, or play with viewports on.

Win XP operating system unfortunately, it won't support any more than the 4 GB of RAM I have.

I have been playing with viewports on and it helped me get as far as I did, prior to switching it back on I was having the same issue with saved games of around 1MB.

Win XP operating system unfortunately, it won't support any more than the 4 GB of RAM I have.

I have been playing with viewports on and it helped me get as far as I did, prior to switching it back on I was having the same issue with saved games of around 1MB.

You could try a smaller viewport size I guess. Missing that last 0.5G RAM hurts though.

You ARE running XP with the /3G switch though right?? If not that will give you a ton more headroom.

I am running XP with the 3GB switch and can get only a bit further 2.5Gb saves i think. Although without viewports active this has gone down in my last few tries to about 2Gb saves.

same thing in my current game

SVN or V24? The reason it does this is that town watchmen are (for a long period) its best unit for pure city defense unit, and a bug that was only recently fixed in the SVN caused far moer defensive units to b built than should have been (especially if you had start-as-minors on). If it's in the SVN then it may just be that it likes these best as defenders, but if its building more than 3-4 per city omething odd is probably going on.

Note - I don't think the AI is very wise to unit costs, so it may need some tweaking for that aspect. Do you have any evidence the AI is building them beyond its financial ability to support them in your games?

SVN or V24? The reason it does this is that town watchmen are (for a long period) its best unit for pure city defense unit, and a bug that was only recently fixed in the SVN caused far moer defensive units to b built than should have been (especially if you had start-as-minors on). If it's in the SVN then it may just be that it likes these best as defenders, but if its building more than 3-4 per city omething odd is probably going on.

Note - I don't think the AI is very wise to unit costs, so it may need some tweaking for that aspect. Do you have any evidence the AI is building them beyond its financial ability to support them in your games?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11697485&postcount=400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom