What to do with hands?

Kozmos

Jew Detective
I watch a fair number of shows on my laptop (because as a poor student I has no TV), some educational, some drama, some comedy etc. However I find it extremely difficult to simply sit and watch at a laptop so I start surfing, reading wikipedia, checking FB and forums and so on. The only thing I noticed that helped me actually watch the show was rolling tobacco for my friends. I can keep an eye on the screen and still do something useful on the side. Thing is of course I can't keep rolling all the time, they have more than enough after one or two shows. So what can I do with my hands that is useful besides eating while watching stuff on laptop? Am I the only one with this problem?

Rub one out.

Somehow I'm not surprised that that took only one additional post...

Anyway, I massage my hands. Alot of times I get up & do stretches & whatnot while watching something that's mostly talking (lectures & slow scenes in movies/tv shows).

When I first joined this forum & played alot of Civ II MP I did push-ups while waiting for my opponents to move.

Watch less stuff?

I spend more time eating per day than I do watching stuff.

I don't watch a lot of stuff, I just want to cut down on my intake of information, because I'm studying most of the day or reading a book and things like that. I want to simply chill/waste time for an hour or two without straining my brain overmuch. (and yes, I already exercise and meditate occasionally)

I have this problem somewhat too. I'll just pick up something on my desk and fiddle with it, usually a pen, or my cell phone. Anything works.

I don't have that problem with shows that I'm genuinely interested in. For the other shows, I simply don't watch. That being said, I don't watch a lot of TV.

The obvious answer is of course knitting.

Also braiding. You can make your own rope.

You could try and translate your fixation onto something else. For instance, maybe chewing gum or sunflower seeds.

I rarely watch in full screen, so I'm able to do other things.

I watch with half a screen, and do regular surfing with the other half of a screen.

I rarely watch in full screen, so I'm able to do other things.

Multiple monitors is really a better solution.

I've got dual monitors on my computer and a phone and tablet on my desk, which generally is enough.

99% of what I watch is 'talking heads', so I don't need a full screen. Often I cut off most of the video (by moving the window partially off the screen) because I can tell what's going on anyway.

I found a comb on the table & have taken to thoughtfully combing my beard in honor of this thread.

So what can I do with my hands that is useful besides eating while watching stuff on laptop? Am I the only one with this problem?
I actually have a functional TV now. I hooked it up to watch the Remembrance Day ceremony from Parliament Hill, and immediately realized that I had nothing to do with my hands. What I used to do was needlework. Or writing. Or doodling. Or working a jigsaw puzzle.

So until I get my needlework unpacked, I won't be watching a whole lot of TV, since it drives me nuts to only sit there and watch.

Oh, that and the fact that I have no light in the living room.

Top Bottom