What video games have you been playing III: You're gonna need a bigger boat.

I've had some fun with Belgium in Victoria II this Christmas.:)

I don't play a ton of video games (play a few a lot, when I do play) but I just got Spelunky

I know some other folks on cfc play it as I searched for it, I'm so bad at it but I'm trying to so hard to beat it (>.<)

I already died >200 times, only made level 4-1 once (out of 5-4: 4 parts to each level, based on global high scores but theres some secret level things too. So 20 stages, only made stage 13)

You're doing fine. Thats the Spelunky life.

Personal favorite strats of mine were to buy climbing gloves and compass early to make navigating the ice caves easier and to buy as many bombs as possible to throw at the tough temple enemies or even just to tunnel straight to the exit.

i always die the dumbest ways in my best runs.

ice caves is fun but pretty easy if I get there; not a lot of loot to get. The only times I've fallen into the abyss was the first time I went to the ice caves, and probably my best run where I touched a yeti next to the exit and wasted my ankh and like 7 hearts w/ shotgun

I've died a few times today in the mothership, but I looked at the wiki and I don't think I should try it. plasma gun doesn't seem worth it (I haven't reached the top, but looked it up online. I keep dying to the brain waves, which do 10 damage).

I have been playing Train Fever and now that I've finally figured out all the nuances of the way this game works, it's basically a clone of Transportation Tycoon, with the first bonus feature I see that's amazing - the "automatically replace old vehicles" option. This was very lacking in the old game, so it's amazing to see in this one.

There are still a couple weird quirks in the game, and the UI is strange, but I'm slowly warming up to this. Once you figure out what NOT to do, you stop getting frustrated at the unconventional approach the developers seem to have had in mind for a lot of aspects of the game.

I don't see any AI in the game either, and have no idea where they are going with this, but I bought it for $20 during the steam sale (I think), and I wouldn't call it a $20 game yet, but I used to be addicted to Transportation Tycoon, so I'm pretty happy with the purchase already. But it isn't a game for everyone - and the reviews seem to be very mixed. Maybe check back when they release the final version - maybe it will be a lot more polished than this. In the state its in now - I wouldn't call it accessible - although it's not that bad like I said, once you sink your teeth into it.

An improvement on Transport Tycoon? If I could have a link&#8230;

Link to video.

Game site here

Like I said it's an improvement over Transportation Tycoon in some ways, but that game was so perfect that the gaming experience is going to be hard to beat.. I don't think this game beats it quite yet - but I think they are on their way to giving us a worthy successor.

I was wrong about one thing - they have already "launched", as per the video title. That happened very recently. They seem to be committed to improving the game and are even going to be offering free DLC for it. There also seems to be a large modding community building up around this game, so things are looking good (I think).

I got FarCry 3 on sale at Steam for $10 along with Blood Dragon and FarCry 2 and FarCry.

I played FarCry 3 until I ran out of side quests. I'm right at the end but I'm kind of bored with it. Blood Dragon is fun, I have to get back to it. From what I've read of FarCry 2 and 1 though, I don't want to play them at all.

Far Cry 2 is, how do I put it, interesting. The work the designers put into the game on its feel is outstanding. That game single handedly got me interesting in African history, no joke. The environments are jaw-droppingly beautiful even on a four year old laptop and the combat is well handled (Hint, get a M1903 as soon as possible. Trying to kill enemies with the starting machine gun is pointless.) The only real downsides in my opinion are the stupid, stupid, stupid respawning guard posts and the difficulties getting invested into the story. Plus, the PC is a battled hardened mercenary as opposed to a whiney white kid, so there is that.

I was kind of worried about the constantly breaking weapons that explode in your hands and the re-spawning guard posts in FarCry 2.

While the rich white kid protagonist in FarCry 3 was annoying at first, I found that the way they developed him into a total monster was done quite well. You have to pay attention to the story and the nuances of some of the dialogue (not always easy when major plot events unfold in the middle of massive battles) but it's surprisingly...tasteful isn't the word I'm looking for. But it's good nonetheless.

I started to play Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords again. The last time I tried to play it was on my old computer, I got to I think a point near the end and the game crashed. I thought I should try it again.

There is one feature in this game that I like and that is the random name generator. I'm no good at coming up with names for characters.

From what I remember the enemy AI in Far Cry 2 was horribly horrendously bad. The developers seemed to have put a lot more effort into giving you a fun world to play in (aside from teh enemy dudes that live in it). Am I thinking of the wrong game?
I had no issue with the AI in the game. The AI seems to make use of cover competently and obeys line-of-sight for knowing if your character is there. I've seen the AI fire in my general direction to try and flush me out of hiding while trying to flank me. The AI are tragically bad at driving, but in gun combat they are pretty good.
I was kind of worried about the constantly breaking weapons that explode in your hands and the re-spawning guard posts in FarCry 2.
The only time I've had a weapon break on me is when I picked a weapon up off the ground as opposed to using a new weapon that you unlock in the gun stores. Even then, it was only once after I used it a lot.

Currently playing Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising. It's written by Warren Ellis.

While the rich white kid protagonist in FarCry 3 was annoying at first, I found that the way they developed him into a total monster was done quite well. You have to pay attention to the story and the nuances of some of the dialogue (not always easy when major plot events unfold in the middle of massive battles) but it's surprisingly...tasteful isn't the word I'm looking for. But it's good nonetheless.
The ending "choice" was really dumb though.

Spoiler :
I thought it made the most sense for Jason to stay on the island, but why the fook does he have to fookin murder his friends to do it? The whole point was to save their fookin lives, damn it!

I had no issue with the AI in the game. The AI seems to make use of cover competently and obeys line-of-sight for knowing if your character is there. I've seen the AI fire in my general direction to try and flush me out of hiding while trying to flank me. The AI are tragically bad at driving, but in gun combat they are pretty good.
Agreed. They weren't bad, and it was fun hiding in the tall grass while they frantically searched for you. The higher your reputation, the more they'd freak out. Fun.

The only time I've had a weapon break on me is when I picked a weapon up off the ground as opposed to using a new weapon that you unlock in the gun stores. Even then, it was only once after I used it a lot.
Also agreed. I routinely replaced my weapons at garages and they were always fine. Never pick them up in that game, they're made to fail. Though hobbs was totally right about the respawning checkpoints. Very frustrating. Combine that with the fact that even your employers' men are always hostile, and you get a situation where you have to single-handedly fight everyone all of the time everywhere you go.

Top Bottom