What Videogames Have You Been Playing XXI: Going for the Platinum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having never played RF, I cannot help in improving damage.
S'okay. Don't really need help, per se. For 30-35 levels, I spent a lot of energy improving my Fire Resist and Life Regen enough to run Righteous Fire without taking any damage, so that left my damage output - including from Righteous Fire - kind of meh. But now I've got my RF DPS up to about 7,000. I went back to using Molten Strike with a scepter, because Flame Wall and Fire Trap were underwhelming. Long term, I haven't decided what my best strategy will be.

I got really lucky with some items. I found Praxis, a paua ring that single-handedly takes care of all my Mana needs. I'm never taking that thing off. I haven't needed to use a Mana Flask even once since I got it. I also found Titus' Span, a reinforced tower shield that gets double armor and double chance to block against projectile attacks.

A few ways to scale damage:
There isn't much damage nearby on the tree till you start getting up by Templar -- Once you do, don't ignore the Divine Judgement, Spiritual aid and Holy fire rings or Templar starting area though. Also, a good chunk of your scaling is from -res (flammability, fire exposure (via say wave of conviction or eventually glove implicit), "covered in ash" (infernal cry), scorch if you can swing it). Also look for sources of "+fire damage over time mult" (from your scepter, from fire mastery, etc). For auras, you eventually want Malevolence as well.

Last month I picked up a free-to-play colour-by-numbers game called Coloring Pixels. Ive done 83 images so far. :)

S'okay. Don't really need help, per se. For 30-35 levels, I spent a lot of energy improving my Fire Resist and Life Regen enough to run Righteous Fire without taking any damage, so that left my damage output - including from Righteous Fire - kind of meh. But now I've got my RF DPS up to about 7,000. I went back to using Molten Strike with a scepter, because Flame Wall and Fire Trap were underwhelming. Long term, I haven't decided what my best strategy will be.

I got really lucky with some items. I found Praxis, a paua ring that single-handedly takes care of all my Mana needs. I'm never taking that thing off. I haven't needed to use a Mana Flask even once since I got it. I also found Titus' Span, a reinforced tower shield that gets double armor and double chance to block against projectile attacks.
I see you are getting there and @Kjara seems smart about it too. As a melee player I am missing a couple of easy achievements so I started a shadow guy to kill Dominus and get 103+1. It's my first Shadow ever and I'm going poison with a claw and shield so I'm not straying too far from what I love. That part of the tree is new though. This build is going very easily, so maybe I'll try a witch next and get one more. That looks to involve actual spells though. Ranged warfare is not for me! There are a bunch of achievements I am unlikely to ever get, but picking off a few more is nice.

Path of Exile. My Juggernaut's Righteous Fire is up to about 15,000 DPS. Not too shabby, for now, but obviously not sufficient for getting very far in the maps. I'm currently in Act 8, which isn't really testing my capabilities because I've outleveled the content. I've grown more sympathetic to the common frustration with having to do the Story Acts again and again with every new League or new character, because it's not really a good way to 'workshop' a new build. I have no idea what to expect from this character when he reaches the Atlas of Worlds.

---

In other news, I watched a recent YouTube video from one of the World of Tanks pros I used to follow, back when I played that game a lot. I couldn't even follow what was going on. :lol: I think I played something like 11,000 games years ago, but I doubt I would be able to do a thing in it now.

I got my Shadow achievement. Leveling a new character is not much fun, but this poison build worked really well and the climb was easy peasy and deathless. I went claw and shield using Cobra lash and viper strike. Since I was in Standard, I had all the gear I wanted. If I do a witch, I will have to figure out how ranged and spells work [sigh] but it would put me at having 105 Achievements. That's nearing my limit unless I decide to do hardcore stuff.

@EgonSpengler How do you use RF against Kitava? Stand next to him or his heart ?

I've been playing some American Truck Simulator lately. Wish there was a way I could port over my MAZ trucks from Eurotruck Simulator over but can't seem to find anything.

Currently playing Pokemon Violet on my brand new Nintendo Switch.

Relic just recently did a week-long multiplayer stress test for Company of Heroes 3. It was free and I was already interested so I downloaded it and tried it out.
I really liked it. It's very similar to CoH 2 but for some reason I like this new one better. It got me to want to play it again and again in a way CoH 2 never did.
I'm not going to preorder it because I don't preorder games, but once it's out I'm pretty sure I'll buy it.
Here's some screenshots
Spoiler :

The game lost connection, I guess that's why they stress test
20230112150721_1.jpg

Man stuck in building
20230112222455_1.jpg

Man stuck in halftrack
20230114220330_1.jpg

Behind the two armored cars in the top are five more out of view, the AI never stood a chance
20230112234028_1.jpg

Currently playing Pokemon Violet on my brand new Nintendo Switch.

Oh, what do you you think of it? It exploded all across my YouTube feed because I follow the reaction channel of a Poketuber.

Oh, what do you you think of it? It exploded all across my YouTube feed because I follow the reaction channel of a Poketuber.
It's a Pokemon game so it's easy to get into and fun to play. Full open world is nice. Far less bugs/glitches than i expected so far though, given how many bug/glitches videos i've seen of this game.....

Path of Exile: Righteous Fire is up to ~20,000 DPS now, and I've extended the radius out to my melee range, or just past it. I'm giving Infernal Blow a try-out as my single-target attack. Molten Strike wasn't quite impressing. But I think I should look for something that has the Spell tag, to take advantage of the bonus damage from RF. I noticed Flame Surge does more damage against Burning enemies, and Righteous Fire inflicts Burning damage. Armageddon Brand is also a "fire and forget" single-target spell that could be a triple-attack with RF and a melee strike on tough Bosses and to clear mobs that don't run into my RF radius for me. I don't think I'll have enough Passive Points to apply to things that only improve Brands, but maybe all of the bonuses to Fire Damage would be enough to make it effective. The damage from Armageddon Brand isn't technically DoT, although if it Ignites its target, that is DoT. What I don't know yet is whether a target being burned by Righteous Fire is technically under an Ignited debuff, because any given target can only have one Ignited debuff at a time.

"A driving game, but not a racing game" sounds dull on paper, but American Truck Simulator and Euro Truck Simulator 2 are fun casual games.

Path of Exile: Righteous Fire is up to ~20,000 DPS now, and I've extended the radius out to my melee range, or just past it. I'm giving Infernal Blow a try-out as my single-target attack. Molten Strike wasn't quite impressing. But I think I should look for something that has the Spell tag, to take advantage of the bonus damage from RF. I noticed Flame Surge does more damage against Burning enemies, and Righteous Fire inflicts Burning damage. Armageddon Brand is also a "fire and forget" single-target spell that could be a triple-attack with RF and a melee strike on tough Bosses and to clear mobs that don't run into my RF radius for me. I don't think I'll have enough Passive Points to apply to things that only improve Brands, but maybe all of the bonuses to Fire Damage would be enough to make it effective. The damage from Armageddon Brand isn't technically DoT, although if it Ignites its target, that is DoT. What I don't know yet is whether a target being burned by Righteous Fire is technically under an Ignited debuff, because any given target can only have one Ignited debuff at a time.

RF is not ignite, it's a separate thing.

For your single target skill, you really want a spell based fire damage over time ability, else your wasting various types of scaling. So Flame Surge isn't great - yes you are burning enemies, but you don't get the burning ground and the skill not being effected by your DoT multi (probably your most important offensive stat) is really bad. Melee skills are even worse as investing into any kind of melee scaling is an utter waste for RF. And even ignite isn't a particularly good option, as you'd have to make investment getting "chance to ignite" to 100% unless you're an elementalist. Which doesn't leave much. There's a reason Flame Trap is widely used, as the burning ground from it is a non-ignite fire DoT, i.e. exactly what you want. Scorching Ray is another option, but requires standing still so is harder to use effectively.

OK, I played my first witch ever up through the end of Act 3. I used frozen pulse mostly as soon as it was available. Now I see why folks play ranged characters. Certainly not much of a challenge through Dominus. If it continues like this through the Acts, I can see how deathless speed runs are easy. Mostly my build just avoided dealing with the content by killing it before it was a problem. It froze everything and then exploded it. And it did it all with nothing special in the way of weapons. Hardly any need for life flasks. I'm not sure I will take my witch or shadow beyond where they are. Getting through the Acts with them would be faster than a melee build, but it still involves "getting them through the Acts".

Achievements: 105

AAR time!

Takhisis Cæsar won on Diplomacy as the Romans. Got a ridiculously lucky start. See where his capital is: along a river, with a luxury next door, and a forest with game in it too. Also there was a goody hut *right there* and so he immediately got Pottery. He got a couple of warriors and then the granary and things developed from there. No cities lost to war, got pipped by the cheating Zulu to the rubber-laden forests up north but built a city to snatch it back, and got attacked by the Dutch (the southern third of what is now Persia), but he just paid the Chinese and Persians to attack them - funny stuff, they later became some of his allies. The war against them gave him Helderia Batavorum and Leidenium and a leader (hurray for armies!); the Egyptians tried the same approach and got the same treatment. The city of Bagacum stands where an old Persian city used to stand: the Egyptians decided to take it when Persia declared war on them at his instigation and then he ended up destroying it and resettling it. The Chinese and Persians later turned a bit sour when I finally pulled out of a war but they too had betrayed him by pulling back from the southern war. The city of Jinjan defected to Roman cultural supremacy.
The Inca tried a sneak attack through the Frankish kingdom but he of course immediately paid the Franks to fight the war. In the end the Franks lost some cities but two of them were given by the Inca to Cæsar Takhisis as payment for peace and then he of course gave them to the Franks to avoid an unseemly patchwork of borderlands, but three of the Frankish cities remained in Incaic hands -a small price to pay for betraying the majesty of Rome.
Finally, Roman technology got so far ahead that the third scientific leader (the other two had accelerated earlier wodners, including the Temple of Artemis in Byzantium) accelerated construction of the United Nations, which yielded a 9-1 vote against Mao with 5 abstentions.
The exclave of Cyrene is guarded by an army of infantry; the old Legio I Traiana Batavica guards Bagacum. The last of the three armies operates around Veii, where a recent landing by maverick Aztecs provoked a war that got Cæsar the sympathy of everyone in the neighbourhood, who promptly joined the war against the aggressors. Scandinavian control of the straits resulted in an impossibility of direct overland retaliation, but all ships in the invading fleet were destroyed by the aptly named destructores of the Roman fleet.

Ravenna should've been built one tile to the south-west where there was a river, but a war against barbarian camps in the area diverted attention. Two tiles further SW there is newly-discovered Uranium.

The map was weird: it was archipelago with 60% water, but ended up being a chersopangæa.

Attachments

• emperorromans1505ad.jpg
    emperorromans1505ad.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 25
Nota Bene: just north of Aurelianorum the Chinese had built a port, taken by the Egyptians as well, which was destroyed by Cæsar's armies and then returned to its natural dye-producing maritime-rural state.
Notabeneque: Zulu presence in the north-west was wisely tolerated by Cæsar. His status as a pacifist is what won win the diplomatic prize. The Zulu had long ago declared war on the Senate and People of Rome, but their tardiness in arriving to the battlefield meant that no battle actually had to be fought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom