Which Films have you seen lately? Certificate 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can always give your personal opinion on a movie even really old ones. You can take the context of the time period into consideration...or not. It’s up to you. And considering a lot old movies aren’t familiar with younger generations a fresh review of and old movie could be useful when/if someone wants to watch a classic to see what the fuss is all about.

I took a history of film class back when I was in high school and from a purely entertainment perspective to my teenage brain most of the old timey black and white movies were boring. One of the few exceptions was The Maltese Falcon (I also found some Charlie Chaplin stuff amusing).

After my present Beavis and Butthead marathon I shall watch Citizen Kane, just to annoy you, and then resume the viewing of Cynthia Rothrock flicks.
C'mon Tak keep up... It wasn't the watching that I was complaining about, it was the reviewing, which, I was essentially saying is superfluous for a movie that old. Watch whatever you want. I will say though, that hearing you say that you are willing to suffer through Citizen Kane, just in the hopes of somehow annoying me, makes me feel pretty important:smug:... so thanks for that. ;)
Rosebud :(

Borges' review of Citizen Kane was that it is without meaning: "a labyrinth without a minotaur".
Indeed. I wasn't able to make it through the whole thing without falling asleep at least half a dozen times, so I had to watch it in several sittings to get through to the end... all to find out it was just a sled... which I already knew from watching The Real Ghostbusters cartoon as a kid. *facepalm* :lol:
Which, of course, I did. Two episodes of Beavis and Butt-head and then Citizen Kane (1941), a brilliant film. Just to annoy our lawyerly friend I shall say that I liked the reference to The Simpsons which it contained.
Again, if your goal is annoying me... well... let's just say you have an... inaccurate perception of how to accomplish that.:p I certainly am not going to be annoyed by your bad taste in what you choose to watch. Not even sure why you would think I would be.:confused: Watch whatever you want.

if 20 (!!) novels seem too much , Hornblower series , while old should be 4 or 5 or 6 . Also a movie from like 1960s , too .

just saw Cowboys and Aliens , and they are indeed stupid aliens ...

What If (2013), with Daniel Radcliffe. This movie ruined my day. 10/10.

C'mon Tak keep up... It wasn't the watching that I was complaining about, it was the reviewing,
It cannot have been reviewing if I hadn't ever viewed it before.

Zinnemann double feature: The Seventh Cross (1944), Act of Violence (1948). Pity that the USians insisted on this Hays Code thing.

Last edited:
High Society (1956), Grace Kelly's very last film before she went off to Monaco. She was joined by Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong and his band, Celeste Holm… it's quite good in spite of being a musical.

I guess the first one didn't live up to his expectations :lol:.

I watched The Father Who Moves Mountains. A Romanian movie about a father who doesn't give up his lost son in the mountains. Sounds in theory good, but the main character isn't likable, there is no happy end (what do you expect from a Romanian movie...?), and it's overall pointless. Do not watch.

IO - This was a pretty cool sci-fi flick starring that new winged Captain America dude. I've got to say though, I can barely remember almost anything about the plot, even though I watched it a couple days ago. The overall synopsis, sure, but the rest is sort of just gone. Not a great sign, but it could just be me 5/10

Game Over, Man
- Silly action comedy. I checked it out because the premise sounded amusing enough to me, and I wanted to see how it all goes down. And I gotta say, it was silly and stupid, and the writing was at the 19 year old level at best, but overall it was a fun enough ride. 5.8/10

Synchronic
- New Captain America dude is in this one again. Silly premise, but actually sort of captivating. It doesn't make scientific sense, but the story it leads to was fun to follow. I didn't like the ending, but I don't know how else I would have ended it tbh. 6.5/10

Blade Runner 2049
- This was good, but it didn't really grab me that much. The visuals, sound, music, and the feel of the movie reminded me of the original movie a lot, so great success there.. But the overall story wasn't really that incredible IMO. Just average? Maybe I need to watch it again. I also found some of the visuals a bit fake looking. DV's epic & minimalistic landscape/cityscape shots work so well in Dune because Arrakis is so empty. But in BR2049 some of those epic scenes just look too empty to me. I love the art direction here, and most of it works, but some of those scenes where you zoom out and see a lot.. they did seem a bit fake to me. 7.7/10

14 Peaks
- This was a beautifully shot documentary about a Sherpa dude who climbed the world's top 14 peaks in 7 months. Previous world record was 16 years or something like that. This documentary is full of epic visuals and breathtaking shots of the Himalayas, from parts of Nepal, Tibet, and Pakistan. You see all these 14 peaks up close, and you follow the Sherpa's journey to climb all of them, with some personal side-story elements thrown in between ascents. You see some Sherpa culture, you see some Kathmandu, you see some Yaks.. and it definitely brings me back to my time in Nepal, but I was just so happy for these Nepali/Sherpa climbers to finally get some recognition. The movie is beautiful as well 9/10

North by Northwest (1959), directed by Alfred Hitchcock and starring Cary Grant.

I will not ‘debate’ this picture, given the age and today's advice from the sage Randall Munroe:

IO - This was a pretty cool sci-fi flick starring that new winged Captain America dude. I've got to say though, I can barely remember almost anything about the plot, even though I watched it a couple days ago. The overall synopsis, sure, but the rest is sort of just gone. Not a great sign, but it could just be me 5/10

Na, that one wasn't brilliant. Premise sounds good, but execution is a bit meh. The emptiness is mostly boring and doesn't give suspense.
The thing which I remember most is how they messed up totally in chemistry in the first 5 minutes ("there are bacteria which can use ammonia for oxygen"... what?), otherwise it's mostly gray.

Blade Runner 2049 - This was good, but it didn't really grab me that much. The visuals, sound, music, and the feel of the movie reminded me of the original movie a lot, so great success there.. But the overall story wasn't really that incredible IMO. Just average? Maybe I need to watch it again. I also found some of the visuals a bit fake looking. DV's epic & minimalistic landscape/cityscape shots work so well in Dune because Arrakis is so empty. But in BR2049 some of those epic scenes just look too empty to me. I love the art direction here, and most of it works, but some of those scenes where you zoom out and see a lot.. they did seem a bit fake to me. 7.7/10

I have to say it didn't grab me either. I know the original is a cult movie, but actually not even that for me.

14 Peaks is on my to-do list.

14 Peaks is so .. inspiring. The feats that the climbers go through are unimaginable to me. I feel like I can sort of appreciate a bit of the mental and physical battle one such climb might be, but not really. These guys are 3km higher than I've ever been, and their bodies are adapted for those altitudes, but even with occasional oxygen it's a very energy draining experience to even walk around at those altitudes, let alone continually climb up. You can see it in the faces of the climbers in the movie, they do get really exhausted, but they do keep pushing on and on. That's the inspiring part of it for me, because I sort of know what that feels like.. not nearly to the same degree like I said, but I can sort of understand what it might be like. So to take that and just keep climbing peak after peak, I can't understand it.. They just keep going and going.. and I've seen that in Nepal, you'll see a Sherpa with 4 bags on his head or a bunch of wooden doors, and they keep walking and walking.. They are not only physically attuned to the altitudes - they are also very mentally tough. Another reason they make such good guides - they are positive and keep pushing you on.. much needed when you are feeling that you have zero energy left and are ready to turn around. One of the western climbers in the movie alludes to this - but I don't want to spoil anything so I'll shut up now

Watched Rocky (1976) and Cliffhanger (1993) over the past few days. From what I hear, Rocky is supposedly the better film, but I enjoyed Cliffhanger more. Which doesn't really surprise me. Action sequences on mountains have always been a favorite of mine, and they did a good job including tension from the difficult environment and not just the characters in the film, and it's a whole film that's action sequences on a mountain, instead of just a scene or two from a film. Add in a plot that has some overlap with Die Hard, and it's a good film.

I think it also helped that I didn't know what would happen to the same degree. Rocky wouldn't be a film if he got knocked out in the first round, so you kind of know how it's going to go. It's a good story, but predictable. Cliffhanger established right at the beginning that there were no guarantees that characters would survive. So while you figured they probably wouldn't kill off Stallone, who knew what would happen to everyone else. As it turns out...

Shutter Island. Post-WWII Hitchcockian noir about a US Marshal sent to a mental institution to investigate the disappearance of one of the patients. I didn't finish it because I don't like scary movies. They scare me. :scared: It was good though. Next time it's on satellite, I'll try and sit through it. :)

Shutter Island. Post-WWII Hitchcockian noir about a US Marshal sent to a mental institution to investigate the disappearance of one of the patients. I didn't finish it because I don't like scary movies. They scare me. :scared: It was good though. Next time it's on satellite, I'll try and sit through it. :)

You should finish it! It's got a twist ending

Yeah, the ending sort of makes that movie. Sort of. I mean, the acting was pretty good, from what I remember. It's not my kind of movie, but even though I watched it a long time ago now, I still remember it. That's gotta count for something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom