Which television shows are you watching? β'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the first episodes of Outlander, A Discovery of Witches, and Luther series 5. I'll probably only continue to watch Luther; the other two were fine, but not quite compelling enough to break through the log-jam.

I've been watching Damian Lewis almost 20 years now, and I think this interview on the radio is the first time I've heard him speak in his natural accent.

Late to the party, but I just finished Chernobyl.
That was pretty rad (hur hur). If I were going into conspiracy, I'd say that it seems they tanked GoT ending to make Chernobyl look even better by comparison :ack:
Tight story, superb acting and authenticity, there is just a few things which rings false (the female scientist, some exagerated sensationalism to strike more fear and the miners who basically tell everyone to eff off) but they are minor misteps in what is overall a glorious success. Hat off.

I'm sure the Russian version will be much better ;)

I'd really recommend the podcast that came alongside the show. They go over their sources and their departures from accuracy for the sake of storytelling. Pulling the wool over our eyes would be a task since they provide enough info for anyone to independently verify what they displayed in the show, and cross-check whether or not their changes make the show inaccurate or help tell the story in a way that is engaging (e.g. the final trial).
I came across this article criticizing Chernobyl's overall structure for dumbing down, if not entirely misconstruing the actual Soviet power relationships (and thereby downplaying the underlying culprit of complete system failure) in favour of a more conventional character drama. I'm curious if the podcast discusses this at all, as the author charges it's a far more damaging fault than any specific historical inaccuracy.

Will eventually watch it regardless, but I'm interested in your takes.

I came across this article criticizing Chernobyl's overall structure for dumbing down, if not entirely misconstruing the actual Soviet power relationships (and thereby downplaying the underlying culprit of complete system failure) in favour of a more conventional character drama. I'm curious if the podcast discusses this at all, as the author charges it's a far more damaging fault than any specific historical inaccuracy.

Will eventually watch it regardless, but I'm interested in your takes.

The dumbing down is entirely obvious. HBO neither wanted nor tried to present that part correctly. That said, I doubt this was picked up so strongly due to being unique a failure; it just in this case had to do with another state (Russia), so there is clearer reason to see the failure as partly political. Compare to Netflix' Escobar tv series, where likely similar dumbing down and alteration happened, but less people were interested in observing that and it isn't as much about another state as it is about narco-mafia.

I think the writer of that article is judging the show by a different standard than they should be. They seem to be treating it as a non-fiction work, and then criticizing it for not being so.

I don't remember if the podcast specifically talks about these things in the way that writer framed them (beyond elaborating that the altered parts were altered due to storytelling). The article spends a great deal of time talking about the 5th episode, the final trial, and pointing to it as fiction. But... we already knew that detail, and the show was up-front about that. Legasov wasn't at the trial IRL, and the presentation did not happen at all like how it was portrayed. It was simply done that way for the viewer's benefit. They took Legasov's direct testimony and his personal works and wove them into the show, but I'm not sure the intent was ever to say "This is what really happened, exactly like this—this is non-fiction."

Although I will disagree that the show downplayed the underlying culprit. The premise behind Legasov's character arc in the show was all about how Chernobyl was inevitable due to the system. There was no need to construe, poorly or otherwise, the Soviet power relationships because they are, at best, window dressing to the show's actual story. Very little time is spent on the political maneuvering outside of how it relates directly to the characters, and what they show is "good enough" (e.g. the KGB had a vested interest in controlling the narrative, the Central Committee was out of its depth but was eager to find a scapegoat, the Soviets were intent on sweeping it under the rug).

The writer goes on to damn the "few great men" narrative approach, but I don't see an alternative (and the writer didn't propose one either). If they separated Khomyuk into the individual persons, the show would have been objectively impossible to make while maintaining similar pacing and delivery. As it is, the intent behind her character was specifically to boil all those individuals into an avatar that could help railroad the plot along and represent that the Soviets were unable to hide Chernobyl from those involved in that field.

I mean, if you're using the show as your sole resource for facts, that's more on you (general 'you') than the show or the material. A different structure to the show wouldn't change that someone is trying to use a dramatization of a real event as unfiltered truth. The show has enough truth in it, and its fictions are based on other truths, that you can reasonably use it as a foundation for seeking more information in a more academic light. But it still isn't the truth, and it was never meant to be (wouldn't be a dramatization otherwise).

Even from the early episodes it was beyond just clear that Khomyuk was made up as a character. It simply makes the story dumber than it should, and entirely out of style for a serious presentation. Furthermore the vast majority of the characters didn't come across as russian at all - something which would have easily been avoided if the HBO team bothered to acquire some familiarity with russians.
Yes, that this is fiction wasn't ever in question, yet even as fiction it has various flaws. Aeschylus' account of Persia losing at Marathon also was fiction, yet the two aren't exactly comparable, and one of the reasons for that is how unchecked the "let's present russians in a negative light" routine was here. If you bother spending so much money to hire good actors and research some of the science, it is clearly out of conscious decision and not lack of ability/funds that you don't care about realism regarding the polity you present or its people.

I mean, if you're using the show as your sole resource for facts, that's more on you (general 'you') than the show or the material. A different structure to the show wouldn't change that someone is trying to use a dramatization of a real event as unfiltered truth. The show has enough truth in it, and its fictions are based on other truths, that you can reasonably use it as a foundation for seeking more information in a more academic light. But it still isn't the truth, and it was never meant to be (wouldn't be a dramatization otherwise).
I think his issue is that a good fiction is more endearing in the public consciousness than dry facts, so people without any background in the series' design choices (not to mention Chernobyl itself) will end up citing it second-(or third- or fourth-)hand and reinforcing the myth of the immediate cause being traceable to a few "bad apples".

For sure, education begins at home. Trouble is, when your first source is the Internet... Hell, I've read comments where people thought Dyatlov was sent to the Gulag. :crazyeye:

I've been watching Derry Girls the past few nights. It's kind of nice to have a little piece of home to watch. At last, people on the telly who talk normally. :p

My only quibble with it is that some of the accents are all over the place. Maybe they couldn't find enough people from Derry to be in the show, I don't know. You guys might not notice, but it is a little immersion breaking.

Good show, though.

I'm just glad that they're not Belfast accents. :)

I've been watching Derry Girls the past few nights. It's kind of nice to have a little piece of home to watch. At last, people on the telly who talk normally. :p

My only quibble with it is that some of the accents are all over the place. Maybe they couldn't find enough people from Derry to be in the show, I don't know. You guys might not notice, but it is a little immersion breaking.

Good show, though.
If I noticed disparate accents at the time, it was minor enough that I've forgot about it. I really loved this show and can't wait for the next season.

Couldn't have a show that way. No one could understand it. :lol:
This reminds me of times when I was told (because British society is definitely not racist) ‘don't speak like an Irishman’.

I really liked the first season, but I haven't gotten around to the second yet. Does it hold up?
Well. kinds. the story lines has expanded (a plus) but much of it seems like musical chairs. The fighting continues to be pretty good, if contrived. And there is an awful lot of coincidence which is the worst part of what happens in the show. They play very fast and loose with time and distance. If the series under went the same scrutiny that GOT did, it would fail decidedly. Nonetheless, I am still watching.

I've started seeing some entertainment websites posting "Best of the Decade" lists, which is a bit premature imho, but of course it got my gears spinning anyway....

Egon's Favorite Television Series of the '10s (a preliminary list/info dump):

Agents of SHIELD
The Americans
Babylon Berlin
The Bletchley Circle
Castle
Daredevil
Detectorists
The Expanse
GLOW
The Good Place
The Good Wife
Halt & Catch Fire
Hannibal
iZombie
Jessica Jones
The Killing
Killing Eve
Luther
Mercy
Mindhunter
The Newsroom
The Night Manager
Orphan Black
Rubicon
Russian Doll
Sherlock
Southland
Supergirl
Stranger Things

To get a "Top 20" there's a few I could knock off right away. A "Top 10" would be harder, and putting them in order would be tougher still. There are some shows that started strong but couldn't hold my interest - The Walking Dead; Orange is the New Black. There are some shows that I suspect I'd like, that I haven't watched yet - Fargo, Atlanta - and a bunch of things I really liked so far, but haven't finished yet - Legion, Vikings, Mr. Robot, Humans, Happy!

It demonstrates the saturation of shows that I've only ever seen two on your list and currently not watching either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom