2020 US Election (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what the longterm gametheory is of suggesting people vote in Smeagol. I want to suggest someone that they'll consider writing in.
The thing is, even pre-Trump the Republican party was a Frankenstein's monster of the sleazy, the grifters, and the inexplicables. For example, candidates who are actively hostile to the threat of climate change are guaranteed to come with enough baggage to make sane people go "ewww".

Biden's VP might get the job if Biden steps down before 4 years are up. The smart Democratic play, if Biden wins, is for him to lead for two years, step down and give his VP two years to become the incumbent and then run for two more terms.

Biden would need to serve 2+ years or his replacement would be limited to one additional term

I'm not really sure that matters, honestly. I don't care if it's someone I find acceptable, afterall. The goal is to get them to consider a write-in candidate if they're not considering Biden.

I'm not really sure that matters, honestly. I don't care if it's someone I find acceptable, afterall. The goal is to get them to consider a write-in candidate if they're not considering Biden.
If someone asks to eat your cat, you don't counteroffer they eat only half your cat as a compromise.

You

are

missing

the

point

badly.
Am I?
El_Mac is suggesting that the No-Trump+No-Biden crowd find some 'acceptable' Republican to settle on and write in. I'm contending that there are no acceptable Republicans at the national level. That people who refuse to deal with climate change should not be put forward as an 'acceptable' alternative. The things that make the Republican Party utterly abhorrent is more than just the boorish cruelty and incompetence.

Am I?
El_Mac is suggesting that the No-Trump+No-Biden crowd find some 'acceptable' Republican to settle on and write in. I'm contending that there are no acceptable Republicans at the national level. That people who refuse to deal with climate change should not be put forward as an 'acceptable' alternative. The things that make the Republican Party utterly abhorrent is more than just the boorish cruelty and incompetence.

The point is to split the GOP vote to make sure that Trump doesn't somehow WIN. Suggesting Smeagol is not likely to provide results.

So, in a word, YES. You have been completely missing the point.

If someone asks to eat your cat, you don't counteroffer they eat only half your cat as a compromise.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize what you were missing. The write-in candidate doesn't have a hope in hell of winning. The goal is for people to have an option other than holding their nose for Trump, one that they'll pursue if they like the idea. That way, they feel like they've done their civic duty and voted, but not for Biden. Bolton is going to vote, and he's not going to vote for Biden. If there's any momentum, people like him will join him.

I don't truly care who that candidate is. I mean, I'd prefer it be someone I find somewhat palatable, since it's the opportunity for the Republican Party to find its soul. McCain had a climate policy. Romney now does. The Republican Party isn't completely impossible to redeem, and it's not like it's going anywhere. But I don't truly care, because I consider Trump that much of a threat.

TIL that ‘semi’ is USian slang for a halfhearted penile erection.

I find Kasich to be more untrustworthy than other potential candidates. There is something about him that I just don’t like.

Funny, I'm exactly the opposite.

But to El Mach's point, how about Romney? or Nikki Haley?

Though I don't understand how getting all the Republican NeverTrumpers to unite behind one write-in candidate that will never win gets you farther than encouraging them to write in their own individual ideal candidate that will never win.

@IglooDude, Romney is close to Kasich but I’d choose Romney 100/100 times were that the only choice. I think both of them basically would implement every GOP policy I disagree with, none that I agree with, and then fold whenever the Democrats proposed something I really didn’t like.

Until this year Trump has at least moved things a little closer, and just really prevented worse outcomes.

I’ve been out of the loop here. Why is this a point of discussion?

Insults over sexual function in politics immediately make me think less of the people making them.

Though I don't understand how getting all the Republican NeverTrumpers to unite behind one write-in candidate that will never win gets you farther than encouraging them to write in their own individual ideal candidate that will never win.

The target audience is the never-Bidens, really. It creates momentum, the agreement helps Republicans vote for the soul of the party rather than just object to Trump.

It becomes a voice for change rather than a refusal of the status quo. Also, something is easier if your friend is doing it

It's always nice to see that people only reply when I post about the important stuff.
Who told you that? I've never heard that term used to describe that. It's always been "chub".
Wiktionary says so.
not half-hearted
Takes a little bit of physiology to understand what I mean.

Oh wow, Nikki Haley might really be a good one.

Nikki Haley 2020
Actually a Republican
There was a column in the WSJ today where the author suggested Trump ditch Pence and choose her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom