Ask an Israel-American

I think a wave of nationalism, which has it's ups and downs.

Pros: More soldiers in the military means we can defend ourselves better.
The Haredim mix with secular Israelis, bridging gaps.
Maybe now they will find work instead of reading books all day.

Cons: Because of their presence and numbers, the Army is becoming increasingly more Orthodox (segregation of men and women, etc.)

If the Haredim are joining politics and the army... doesn't that mean they're doing 'work'? Aren't politics and the army work?

As an Israeli-American citizen how do you feel about India?

Now after answering that question, are those feelings in anyway affected by knowing that India is one of the 140-odd countries expected to vote for Palestinian membership?

What is your opinion on the newspaper Haaretz?

Slightly off-topic: Is your username in any way related to the Nepali-Tibetan dish called 'Momo'?

have you done your military service. Is it mandotary for israeli citizen living outside israel

A state who's national religion is Judaism, and a state for Jews.

What would that involve, exactly? Would people be required to take classes in Judaism even if they're not Jewish; would Jewish law trump secular and other religious laws; and is it fully compatible with the functioning of a modern state, or is it an entirely symbolic declaration?

Also, what do you think of the lack of a civil marriage law in Israel that requires Jews to seek a Rabbinical marriage, effectively forbiding Jews from marrying non-Jews?

What's with all the news that a strike against Iran is getting close?

- apparently there are rumours that the cabinet has discussed it and both Netanyahu and Barak are for the strike. Perhaps surprisingly, Lieberman seems to be opposed. Do you have some comments on that - I assume you read Israeli Hebrew-language press?
- Israeli jets were recently taking part in a NATO exercise, where they allegedly practised long-distance airstrikes.
- Israel conducted a test of a ballistic missile a few days ago, which could be seen as another preparatory step for the strike against Iran.

Do you have anything to add, by chance?

You appear not to be terribly religious :).
So, if many jews think that israel has a right to exist because it is stated in the Torah, what of every single other country? SInce no one else is mentioned in the Torah, does no one else (e.g. Poland or Zimbabwe or Peru) have a right to exist?

I have so many questions based on your comments so far...

When did you first immigrate to the US from Israel? Why did you decide to do so? When did you become a citizen? What do you think about the thousands of Israelis who are here illegally? Should they be deported?

I'd like it if no one had nukes.
And yet Israel does. And now they have a missile which can deliver nuclear warheads to Iran. Don't you think they are a much graver threat to world peace than a nation with no nukes, much less the ability to deliver them long distances? Shouldn't that threat be eliminated, especially given the hatred of Iran which is so prevalent in their government?

I say two-state solution in a perfect world, but with Hamas, I don't think it's an option. So maybe Israel in control, with more Palestinian rights?
Why do you think the Hamas are some sort of obstacle given how the majority of Palestinians in Gaza no longer support them and wish a different government to represent them?

I would like a state where Palestinians and Israelis have equal rights, though the country maintains it's Jewish status. The State of Israel was created to insure there would never be another Holocaust.
Do you really think that is actually any sort of threat? Who would do so? And if there was another Holocaust, how could they possibly flee? You mentioned that the US and other countries did not allow Jews to flee Germany, but that was prior to the Holocaust. Wasn't it actually far too late for them to flee once Germany started exterminated the people already trapped in the concentration camps?

I think biased, mostly because of the large amount ofJews in the media and the American bias against terrorism and "Islamaphobia"
Why do you consider the Islamophobia which is rampant in the US and Europe to be a form of bias? Do you think it doesn't exist?

I personally believe in a two-state solution between Israel and Palestine

I posted the following in another thread. While I do not offer an alternative solution, I do not believe that the two state solution is workable. Why do you think that the two state solution can produce peaceful coexistance between Israel and a Palestinian state.

I do not believe that the set of stable solutions to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict includes "two-state" scenarios.

I don't foresee a time when the Israeli government will trust a Palestinian government to police cross border crime. Without this trust, any cross border crime - commited by individuals or organised groups - has the potential to lead to cross border incursions by the Israeli army. If you don't consider the cross border crime commited by a Palesinian resident an act of war, then an invasion by Israel would certainly count. Without that trust, the two state solutions are unstable.

As an Israeli-American citizen how do you feel about India?

Now after answering that question, are those feelings in anyway affected by knowing that India is one of the 140-odd countries expected to vote for Palestinian membership?

What is your opinion on the newspaper Haaretz?

Slightly off-topic: Is your username in any way related to the Nepali-Tibetan dish called 'Momo'?

India is a pretty nice country to visit. And no, I'm not angry with India. It's their decision to vote or not. I'm mad with Fatah for trying to circumvent the Peace Process.

I don't read much news, but Haaretz is a pretty good publication with natural bias.

And no, I've never heard of it, but it looks delicious.

You haven't answered about the kneidalaj yet. It was a serious question. :)

What would that involve, exactly? Would people be required to take classes in Judaism even if they're not Jewish; would Jewish law trump secular and other religious laws; and is it fully compatible with the functioning of a modern state, or is it an entirely symbolic declaration?

Also, what do you think of the lack of a civil marriage law in Israel that requires Jews to seek a Rabbinical marriage, effectively forbiding Jews from marrying non-Jews?

No one is required to take classes in Judaism. Just because it is the official religion does not mean you must practice it. England is Christian. Not everyone in England is Christian. Same in Israel.

I dislike that because of Orthodox Jews, all marriages and conversions must be Orthodox to "count". My mother, a non-Jew in Israel, had to convert to marry my dad.

What's with all the news that a strike against Iran is getting close?

- apparently there are rumours that the cabinet has discussed it and both Netanyahu and Barak are for the strike. Perhaps surprisingly, Lieberman seems to be opposed. Do you have some comments on that - I assume you read Israeli Hebrew-language press?
- Israeli jets were recently taking part in a NATO exercise, where they allegedly practised long-distance airstrikes.
- Israel conducted a test of a ballistic missile a few days ago, which could be seen as another preparatory step for the strike against Iran.

Do you have anything to add, by chance?

No, I'm sorry, I don't read much news these days. But I do think that the wars in the Middle East are FAR from over. If you ask me, WWIII will start from somewhere in the Middle East possibly involving Israel or maybe Iran.

Do you think Islamic Republics, theocracies, have the right to exist?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by theocracies. Do you mean like Saudi Arabia or Jordan (theocratical monarchies) or more like Egypt pre-Arab Spring with a President-For-Life?

I'm mad with Fatah for trying to circumvent the Peace Process.

Second question about the two state solution. Why do Palestinian attempts to gain recognition from the UN or UN bodies equate to "circumventing the peace process"? Assuming no one involved in the peace process is seriously considering a two state solution where the resulting Palestinian state agrees to remain outside the UN, I don't understand how gaining memebership from a UN body harms the peace process in anyway.

You appear not to be terribly religious :).
So, if many jews think that israel has a right to exist because it is stated in the Torah, what of every single other country? SInce no one else is mentioned in the Torah, does no one else (e.g. Poland or Zimbabwe or Peru) have a right to exist?

You are correct sir ;). I don't think that makes much sense, sorry. Believe it or not, though, some radical Jews are even more anti-Israel than the Arabs. According to legends, the Jews may only return to Israel when the 1st Messiah returns (The 1st being less of a Messiah. He [or she] is to call the Jews back to Israel. When they are there, the 2nd and more Messiah-y does his thang. Some believe Theodore Herzl or David Ben-Gurion might have been the 1st Messiah, but who knows.) and therefor think we are making a huge mistake and are playing God.

I have so many questions based on your comments so far...

When did you first immigrate to the US from Israel? Why did you decide to do so? When did you become a citizen? What do you think about the thousands of Israelis who are here illegally? Should they be deported?

And yet Israel does. And now they have a missile which can deliver nuclear warheads to Iran. Don't you think they are a much graver threat to world peace than a nation with no nukes, much less the ability to deliver them long distances? Shouldn't that threat be eliminated, especially given the hatred of Iran which is so prevalent in their government?

Why do you think the Hamas are some sort of obstacle given how the majority of Palestinians in Gaza no longer support them and wish a different government to represent them?

Do you really think that is actually any sort of threat? Who would do so? And if there was another Holocaust, how could they possibly flee? You mentioned that the US and other countries did not allow Jews to flee Germany, but that was prior to the Holocaust. Wasn't it actually far too late for them to flee once Germany started exterminated the people already trapped in the concentration camps?

Why do you consider the Islamophobia which is rampant in the US and Europe to be a form of bias? Do you think it doesn't exist?

I was born in the US because my father went to University here, and then got a job here so I never left. I was a citizen from birth (I'm actually a triple-citizen :crazyeye:). I wasn't aware there were "thousands of illegal immigrants" but yes, they should. Israel's not that bad ;).

Historically, Israel rarely strikes first (Counterexamples being the 6 Day War and the Suez Crisis, but on both we were about to get invaded).

I'd rather not talk about the Holocaust and yes, I know I brought it up. The Jews of Germany or Poland didn't think there would be a Holocaust either. Say about him what you will, but Hitler was very good in accomplishing things without being noticed.

How could Islamophobia not be bias?? It's bias against Islam!

I posted the following in another thread. While I do not offer an alternative solution, I do not believe that the two state solution is workable. Why do you think that the two state solution can produce peaceful coexistance between Israel and a Palestinian state.

I said "in a perfect world" and clearly, this world is far from perfect :lol:. I agree, it is not workable, and I don't really have an alternative.

Second question about the two state solution. Why do Palestinian attempts to gain recognition from the UN or UN bodies equate to "circumventing the peace process"? Assuming no one involved in the peace process is seriously considering a two state solution where the resulting Palestinian state agrees to remain outside the UN, I don't understand how gaining memebership from a UN body harms the peace process in anyway.

If in the middle of a negotiation one of the parties just went ahead and did something before any decisions were made would be a bad thing. Just my logic.

You haven't answered about the kneidalaj yet. It was a serious question. :)

I hate to say it, but NYC has the best ones :mad:

No one is required to take classes in Judaism. Just because it is the official religion does not mean you must practice it. England is Christian. Not everyone in England is Christian. Same in Israel.

That wasn't what I said, but I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I was wondering whether a Jewish state would necessarily require some religious laws to trump some secular laws; for example, as in the case of Rabbinical marriage.

And I wasn't asking whether people be required to convert to Judaism, merely wondering whether the educational system would lean more heavily to the history of the Jewish religion, to Jewish cultural practices, and to concepts therein. At least compared to the history of large non-Jewish minorities (or possible future majorities).

Is a Jewish state merely a place where Jews from anywhere in the world can get automatically accepted, versus other types of immigrants who have to go through a lot of red tape?

If not any of the above, then is "Jewish state" merely a slogan?

You are correct sir ;). I don't think that makes much sense, sorry. Believe it or not, though, some radical Jews are even more anti-Israel than the Arabs. According to legends, the Jews may only return to Israel when the 1st Messiah returns (The 1st being less of a Messiah. He [or she] is to call the Jews back to Israel. When they are there, the 2nd and more Messiah-y does his thang. Some believe Theodore Herzl or David Ben-Gurion might have been the 1st Messiah, but who knows.) and therefor think we are making a huge mistake and are playing God.
You really have tough times ahead, even if the Arabs do magically reach a peace accord and Iran becomes a democratic haven of peace, you'll still have your own nutjobs. I see some of those (both pro- and anti- Israel fanatics) here, as there're immense Jewish neighbourhoods in town.
momo1000 said:
I hate to say it, but NYC has the best ones :mad:
Really? The correct answer for any Jewish boy is to say that their own non-interfering smother makes the best kneidalaj in the world.

If in the middle of a negotiation one of the parties just went ahead and did something before any decisions were made would be a bad thing. Just my logic.

Unless the Palestinian state resulting from the two state solution is:
a) to be based on differnet territories and system of government,
b) and the ability of the that resultant state to join the UN is also part of the negotiations,
I don't see how it should have any bearing on negotiations.

Should Israel apologize to Turkey for "Mavi Marmara"?

Top Bottom