Brexit Thread VIII: Taking a penalty kick-ing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking the rock of Gibraltar, and not Alex Ferguson's horse.

More fishing fun:

:splat:

Last edited:
The Express is written for pensioners, Europe-haters and Diana-watchers, but that is stunningly tone-deaf, even for them.

Cool, a new Diplomacy map!
Fleet Gulf of Bothnia -> Skagerrak.

U.K. begins long march to freedom!

Eurid, the registry manager of .eu domain names, has suspended .eu domain names
registered by UK citizens as a result of the regulatory changes caused by Brexit.
Suspended domain names can no longer support a website or service like email,
and owners now have three months to prove their right to run a .eu domain. This
means updating contact data to transfer the .eu domain to an EU-subsidiary
outside the UK; or declaring citizenship or residence of an EU member state.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/81000-uk-owned-eu-domains-suspended-as-brexit-transition-ends/

The Express is written for pensioners, Europe-haters and Diana-watchers, but that is stunningly tone-deaf, even for them.
OTOH, The Spectator is a paragon of sensibility.
Countries of the world, unite. The CCP destroyed the world’s economies in 2020.
And we would like reparations. I am open to suggestions on how we do this:
sanctions, gunboats — nothing should be off the table. China gave us 2020. We
need to make them pay for it.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-case-for-chinese-reparations

OTOH, The Spectator is a paragon of sensibility.
Countries of the world, unite. The CCP destroyed the world’s economies in 2020.
And we would like reparations. I am open to suggestions on how we do this:
sanctions, gunboats — nothing should be off the table. China gave us 2020. We
need to make them pay for it.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-case-for-chinese-reparations

Its just the intellectual wing of the same lunatic tendency. I would've called them lunatic fringe but they are misrunning the country so that doesn't seem appropriate.

Johnson was the editor of the Spectator for six years (and a Telegraph columnist too). That should probably tell you everything you need to know.

Johnson was the editor of the Spectator for six years (and a Telegraph columnist too). That should probably tell you everything you need to know.
Bozo's previous employment history is well-known.
If that's "journalism" then I can see why the CCP round up idiots and counter-revolutionaries in HK
who believe that the British definition of "journalists" gives them some find of free pass.

*blinks*

Northern Ireland facing food supply disruption over Brexit, MPs told
Trucks arriving at GB ports lack paperwork needed to enter region, business leaders say

Northern Ireland is facing disruptions to its food supply because suppliers in Great Britain are unaware of the Brexit-related paperwork needed to send goods to the region, business leaders have said.

Trucks are arriving at GB ports with incorrect or absent documentation that delays their passage across the Irish Sea, they told MPs on Wednesday.

Spoiler :
Many operators in Great Britain seemed unaware that since 11pm on New Year’s Eve Northern Ireland was applying EU customs rules at its ports, meaning goods crossing the Irish Sea from other parts of the UK were subject to customs checks, Seamus Leheny, of the freight trade body Logistics UK, told the Northern Ireland affairs committee. “We had lorries arriving into Belfast with no documentation at all … it’s the lack of preparation on the GB side.”

One large manufacturer had 15 lorries of food bound for Northern Ireland stuck because they lacked customs declarations, said Leheny. He cited another company that sent 285 lorries to Great Britain but only 100 returned, leading to knock-on disruption of supply chains. Another company resolved documentation problems after studying a YouTube tutorial.

Leheny said ports and customs officials were working hard and flexibly to minimise disruption but he urged the government to improve communication so that hauliers were not left figuring out paperwork on their own.

Aodhán Connolly, director of the Northern Ireland Retail Consortium, told MPs that authorities in Belfast and London needed to be “shouting from the rooftops” so that suppliers and parcel companies understood the new rules. “This is a very turbulent time where decisions need to be taken at speed,” he said.

Sainsbury’s has been forced to fill some of its Northern Ireland supermarket shelves with Spar-branded products. Shoppers at Tesco and other chains have reported bare shelves in some sections, especially chilled food.

England, Scotland and Wales left the European Union’s single market for goods on 31 December but Northern Ireland did not. Products containing animal parts require export health certificates in accordance with EU regulations.

Ian Paisley, an MP with the Democratic Unionist party, said the special arrangements for the region had been a “disaster” and justified ditching the Northern Ireland protocol, which had cleared the way for the final Brexit deal between London and Brussels.

Brandon Lewis, the Northern Ireland secretary, told BBC Radio Ulster that companies were adapting to changes. “I think people will see, as things settle down, that things will flow as they did in 2020.”

Oh dear. Reading the last few pages shows just how much Remainers have still not accepted the result.
I agree with EnglishEdward, Remainers really are sounding more and more like Trump and his followers. Since their election defeat I mean, of course.

From arguing what was or was not on the ballot paper (‘we didn’t vote for this, or that’ type non-argument) to trying to make out it was 51-49 when it was really 52-48 to complaining about referendums in general to maintaining the referendum was ‘tainted’ and that it didn’t engage everyone in the country etc. etc. etc.
Whine, whine, whine, just like Trump and his followers.

And who could forget the litigation after litigation after litigation the Remainers tried in order to overturn democracy. Remarkably like Trump, no?

People have tried to link Trump’s election in 2016 with Brexit. I don’t know about that but the similarities between the Remainers and Trumpists since their respective election losses are astonishing.

Denial, anger, protest, litigation, excuses. Just the same.

Until last night that is - at least Remainers never have stormed Westminster.

Oh dear. Reading the last few pages shows just how much Remainers have still not accepted the result.
I agree with EnglishEdward, Remainers really are sounding more and more like Trump and his followers. Since their election defeat I mean, of course.

From arguing what was or was not on the ballot paper (‘we didn’t vote for this, or that’ type non-argument) to trying to make out it was 51-49 when it was really 52-48 to complaining about referendums in general to maintaining the referendum was ‘tainted’ and that it didn’t engage everyone in the country etc. etc. etc.
Whine, whine, whine, just like Trump and his followers.

And who could forget the litigation after litigation after litigation the Remainers tried in order to overturn democracy. Remarkably like Trump, no?

People have tried to link Trump’s election in 2016 with Brexit. I don’t know about that but the similarities between the Remainers and Trumpists since their respective election losses are astonishing.

Until last night that is - at least Remainers never have stormed Westminster.
Buddy, having a second referendum isn't overturning democracy. You're slightly missing the point of democracy, there :)

I wasn't aware that discussion was forbidden about how the referendum result came about.

Have you ever looked into the background of what started UKIP, the Brexit Party and so on?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but when Brexit goes inevitably tits up, I'm sure that not even a single Leaver will be expressing any denial, anger, protest, litigation, excuses, etc., right?

Buddy, having a second referendum isn't overturning democracy. You're slightly missing the point of democracy, there :)
Problem with referendums is that the winners consider them definitive and the losers consider them repeatable. In fact there is not reason to not repeat them ad infinitum.

It's almost as if having a single yes/no poll on a very complex issue is a remarkably stupid thing to do.

Problem with referendums is that the winners consider them definitive and the losers consider them repeatable. In fact there is not reason to not repeat them ad infinitum.
There is no reason at all. This might seem silly to say, but in the magical fairy world where Remain had "won", it would be entirely democratic for the various Leave camps to revisit the subject in future referendums. It would then be up to the government to enshrine this in some kind of timely manner, so it wasn't repeated non-stop, but so that it didn't become some banned, "treasonous" topic.

Ideally the same would've happened in this reality, but it hasn't, which is why we get genius-tier takes like "this is overturning democracy". The whole concept of another referendum was willingly poisoned by the people who stood to gain from a specific outcome.

There is no reason at all. This might seem silly to say, but in the magical fairy world where Remain had "won", it would be entirely democratic for the various Leave camps to revisit the subject in future referendums. It would then be up to the government to enshrine this in some kind of timely manner, so it wasn't repeated non-stop, but so that it didn't become some banned, "treasonous" topic.

Ideally the same would've happened in this reality, but it hasn't, which is why we get genius-tier takes like "this is overturning democracy". The whole concept of another referendum was willingly poisoned by the people who stood to gain from a specific outcome.

Indeed Farage did promise that if the referendum was lost he would continue campaigning on the issue.
Theres no end date on democracy. The people who would vote now or in years to come aren't exactly the same set of people who voted in 2016 and those who voted 1way then are entitled to change their mind.
Its a dead issue atm but I suspect it won't be when all the brexit chickens have come home to roost.

That's the point - after a referendum that splits roughly even, you can expect the losing party to continue to work to hollow out, or even overturn the result...

To expect them change to their mind just because they lost, is quite naive imho.

It's almost as if having a single yes/no poll on a very complex issue is a remarkably stupid thing to do.

Are you by any chance referring to the 1975 vote? :mischief:

That's the point - after a referendum that splits roughly even, you can expect the losing party to continue to work to hollow out, or even overturn the result...

To expect them change to their mind just because they lost, is quite naive imho.

I am not saying they should change their mind, only that they should get over the result and move on.
And neither am I saying there should not be a second referendum. I just think that, like the Scottish vote, it should be held once a generation.
And talking of Scotland, they do not appear to be harping on and on about the 2014 result – they just want another one.
Remainers should get over the 2016 result and start a Rejoin motion.

Are you by any chance referring to the 1975 vote? :mischief:

Well, no, because it was before I was born. But don't worry, I got over the 2016 result a long time ago - I've had ten years of political disappointment to contend with, after all.

Remainers should get over the 2016 result and start a Rejoin motion.

Hm - that would be a bit silly...

More likely they'll just be frustrated for being taken out of the EU against their will, and see most of what goes wrong in the UK in future in context of Brexit, much like it was for Brexiteers in decades before.

In this manner near half your electorate is angry at all times, either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom