[RD] Clinton vs. Trump - USA Presidential race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and the other thing that's in his taxes is deductible interest on debt, which would reveal who he owes and how much they own him. That's what he's hiding, more than anything else, in my estimation.

Releasing a recent thorough evaluation is good.
But most people that old have some little things in the health history.
So why provide more ammunition for the opposition to exaggerate and pound on.

A current clean bill of health is all that is important.

John McCain actually released his entire medical history in 2008. I think it was over 1,000 pages of records. He was 72 at the time. That was unusual in the annals of presidential politics, and it made any health concerns a non-issue. And he had some significant lifelong health issues stemming from the torture he endured as a non-hero in Vietnam, but I think voters will give you a pass on most anything that is in your history as long as it doesn't involve mental health issues.

It's a bit ageist, I'm afraid, but I think the prevailing sentiment is that old candidates ought to release more records, and if they don't they're probably hiding something. I'd be extremely surprised if either one of them had anything noteworthy in their records that would affect the way they do the job, or their ability to do it potentially for 8 years. My personal take is that the concern is dementia-related; people want to know their president isn't senile. Which is odd when you consider our most "beloved" recent president was senile for most of his presidency.

and some organizations that have been given rounds of golf at his clubs to put in their silent auctions and such.

Not to nitpick but this is not unsubstantial. I've seen a single round at some of his clubs auctioned off for thousands of dollars at charity golf outings. It adds up quite quickly. Granted it's not the same as contributing money but don't just laugh it off.

And no I still don't support Trump.

John McCain actually released his entire medical history in 2008. I think it was over 1,000 pages of records. He was 72 at the time. That was unusual in the annals of presidential politics, and it made any health concerns a non-issue. And he had some significant lifelong health issues stemming from the torture he endured as a non-hero in Vietnam, but I think voters will give you a pass on most anything that is in your history as long as it doesn't involve mental health issues.

It's a bit ageist, I'm afraid, but I think the prevailing sentiment is that old candidates ought to release more records, and if they don't they're probably hiding something. I'd be extremely surprised if either one of them had anything noteworthy in their records that would affect the way they do the job, or their ability to do it potentially for 8 years. My personal take is that the concern is dementia-related; people want to know their president isn't senile. Which is odd when you consider our most "beloved" recent president was senile for most of his presidency.

Hillary was not a war hero. I guarantee that most would not give her a pass on anything.

Today's interesting revelation is that the Trump Foundation doesn't actually get any money from Trump; hasn't for years. The only indications anyone can find of anyone actually receiving any sort of charitable donation from Trump is the million dollars he made a big deal about donating to vets, which he only actually made after the media hounded him about how he claimed it and then didn't follow through, and some organizations that have been given rounds of golf at his clubs to put in their silent auctions and such.

So if he doesn't do any other charitable things because he has a foundation, and he doesn't actually give anything to his foundation, where does that leave him?

As the same narcissistic businessman as before that views people that need the works of charitable institutions as "losers"? He's been in the public eye long enough that this shouldn't surprise anyone.

By contrast, the refusal by either candidate to put some level of medical records into the public domain at this stage suggests they've got something to hide (true or not), given prior precedent. And the refusal to accept pool reporters following them around late in the campaign suggests that both would run media relations from the White House straight out of the Cheney playbook, which is a perception that neither really needs right now.

Oh, and the other thing that's in his taxes is deductible interest on debt, which would reveal who he owes and how much they own him. That's what he's hiding, more than anything else, in my estimation.

Which is a possibility, though I'm reasonably certain that his tax obligations are probably down in the single or low double digits as a percentage largely due to all that debt.

As the same narcissistic businessman as before that views people that need the works of charitable institutions as "losers"? He's been in the public eye long enough that this shouldn't surprise anyone.

By contrast, the refusal by either candidate to put some level of medical records into the public domain at this stage suggests they've got something to hide (true or not), given prior precedent. And the refusal to accept pool reporters following them around late in the campaign suggests that both would run media relations from the White House straight out of the Cheney playbook, which is a perception that neither really needs right now.

Hillary's letter is about on par with what Romney released in 2012, and Obama in 2008. I'll leave it to the reader to decide whether their relative youth means Hillary should be held to a different standard. Hillary also started flying on the same plane as her press pool last week. Not that I expect she'd have a very warm relationship with the press, but she's at least done that. Trump, of course, has not.

Of course, even the somewhat paltry transparency and access from Hillary is far more than we have gotten from the Trump campaign. He has yet to pay any price for that, for reasons I cannot fathom.

Today's interesting revelation is that the Trump Foundation doesn't actually get any money from Trump; hasn't for years.

But it does have money. Other people's money. And he uses that to make charitable donations (while taking the credit for himself).

Not only that, but on two occasions, he used money from this fund to buy things for himself (which is illegal): a Tim Tebow signed helmet and a portrait of himself.

Over this wretch, I'd take civman's actually dead Hillary, propped up by Jonathan Silverman and Andrew McCarthy. They seem like likable enough fellows, under whose supervision the country would likely come to less peril than under the virile Trump.

the virile Trump.

That's an unpleasant image.

The double standards that have been applied in this election are pretty extreme. The best description I've heard is that it's like both candidates have a certain set space of criticism which the media have to fill in order to appear somewhat 'balanced', and whatever scandals exist will expand so as to fill that space, no matter how incomparable they are.

I can see how you all think Hillary "fell" into the van.

She didn't fall.

She was melting.

she showed great patriotism, and courage going to the memorial service while having pneumonia, someone should give her a purple heart medal...:mischief:

she showed great patriotism, and courage going to the memorial service while having pneumonia, someone should give her a purple heart medal...:mischief:

This might win my funniest post of the year award.

Meanwhile, comparison...

Romney says 47% of Americans are just freeloading on the government. They pay no tax.

Clinton says half of Trump's supporters are deplorable. They are racists, sexists, Islamophobic, or xenophobic. She almost immediately said "half" was a mistake, but that Trump's supporters do include some amount of these deplorables and Trump loves them.

So, first, even if we go with the original "half of Trump's supporters" this is not anywhere near the same breadth of brush as Romney's condemnation of basically everyone who was voting against him.

Second, Romney's premise was false to begin with in that these people don't "pay no tax." There is NO ONE who pays no tax. I live completely off the grid, and I STILL pay tax. Sales tax, gas tax, at the very least in my experience there is literally no way to live in America without paying those. The vast majority of people who pay no income tax, because they are frankly living in poverty, still bear a monstrous burden of payroll tax.

On the other hand, despite years, maybe decades, of protestations by the Republicans, their party has been the safe harbor for racists and all the other deplorables mentioned. They invariably get all indignant and pretend that when that is pointed out it somehow is an accusation that they are ALL racists, because they NEVER want to deal with what being such a safe harbor really means, but to say that these deplorables are backing Trump, almost to the last deplorable man, is seemingly pretty accurate.

The way the Trump campaign is trying to draw this parallel is falling completely flat, for me. I suspect that outside his "I agree with everything he says" base of support that's going to be mostly the case.

It's a fair question to wonder what's in the e-mails that was so important to scrub

No, it is not a fair question, because the premise (that Clinton scrubbed emails) is a complete fabrication.

Second, Romney's premise was false to begin with in that these people don't "pay no tax." There is NO ONE who pays no tax.

Presumably he was referring to net taxes. Hell, America has like 65 million unemployed children that pay hardly any taxes and are nothing but a drain on government coffers.

Some Trump supporters are claiming Hillary has a body double.

I saw this on Facebook. I originally thought the person was beig facetious, but I guess not. So do they think that technology now allows for the photoshopping of real life, or does Hillary Clinton have a detachable head?

Presumably he was referring to net taxes. Hell, America has like 65 million unemployed children that pay hardly any taxes and are nothing but a drain on government coffers.

Well, he did specify that he was talking about voters, so that does exclude children at least...but you have a fair point.

She was overcome by her allergy to Trump. Caused her to go straight from coughing to passing out. She will need to be wheeled up on stage in a bubble-boy suit for the debates.
You're being polite. The theme I heard today was that Clinton was at death's door. Supposedly, if she had a temporary condition of some sort, they would admit it. Instead, we get inane coverups of her near collapse.

The other thing I heard a lot of was the so-called deplorables comment. I really do not get that one. Trump has been saying similar things from day #1. In fact, it echoes his comments about Mexican immigrants.

The second part of the statement is more interesting. Clinton admits that the rest of Trump's followers want change. Exact wording, "They don’t buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with, as well." That's a tough sale because she embodies more-of-the-same.

Some Trump supporters are claiming Hillary has a body double.
She probably does. Why would it be important?

J

Why would they make such a claim if it was not important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom