Coronavirus: awaiting for the new wave

Status
Not open for further replies.
All sounds very familiar from UpOver Island.

I get why the US messed all this up, that place was structurally designed to be unable to stop something like this pandemic and naturally just never got it anything like under control. But the UK consistently making the dumbest decisions and most shonky responses at all points has surprised, especially after the initial lockdown brought the cases right down.

I get why the US messed all this up, that place was structurally designed to be unable to stop something like this pandemic and naturally just never got it anything like under control. But the UK consistently making the dumbest decisions and most shonky responses at all points has surprised, especially after the initial lockdown brought the cases right down.

As far as I can see, in this sad saga, there is only one big decision where the UK may have done all right

UK approved vaccine on 2 December 2020:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...-gives-approval-for-first-uk-covid-19-vaccine

US approved vaccine 12 December 2020

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/vaccination-begin-us-fda-emergency-approval-pfizer-vaccine-792527

EU approved vaccine on 21 December 2020

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/na...conditional-approval-pfizer-biontech-vaccine/

In many cases (Mexico, Russia, Argentina) it's simply the government not reporting deaths or contagion.
Well, in Russia's case the official numbers are reported by Rosstat and the higher numbers were claimed by health minister personally.
So it's not like the government doesn't report something, rather different branches of government use different standards to calculate statistics.

Oh man... one of my parents' neighbours got it.
Not sure how old he is, but I think closer to 80 than to 70, and my dad just had contact with his son.
So... I'm crossing fingers very strongly for everyone right now.

EDIT:
Australian intelligence services siphon the data from the Australian corona app, but have apparently not used them, https://www.itnews.com.au/news/covi...elligence-agencies-in-first-six-months-558129 .
Better to be wary about the tracking stuff, even in Western countries.

Last edited:
I was wondering if this is close to the truth or not? Sounds pretty uncomfortable...

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/511599-new-york-indefinite-detention-covid/

Hasn't made the news here in central New York.

The title of the article (New York’s new law setting up detention centers...) is misleading as the bill has only been proposed and moved to committee and so is not actually a law by a long shot: lots of legislative wickets for it to go thru before becoming a law, and I don't see it gaining enough traction to actually become a law.

My wife's last nursing assignment last year was in the education department for some hospitals in the American northwest: during one of the online sessions she taught I heard them brainstorming ways to deal with the corona, and one of the comments that was made was that for patients in quarantine (and therefore couldn't have relatives present) the nurses were keeping the last few minutes of the EKG strips to give to the families and sharing those moments, so as to let the families know their loved one didn't die alone. Below is a pic of the training material the wife was going over.

D

Training material.png

I was wondering if this is close to the truth or not? Sounds pretty uncomfortable...

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/511599-new-york-indefinite-detention-covid/

Looked at the link in the article that links to the NY legislative website and see there was previous other proposals worded exactly (or almost exactly) the same way, going back to 2015 (A6891), next year (A680), and the next year (A99). Seems an annual proposal that never goes anywhere (not voted on or denied). So this is not news. It would be news if this bill is ever passed.

Edit: first proposal in 2015, result from the Ebola cases in 2014?

Last edited:
Hasn't made the news here in central New York.

The title of the article (New York’s new law setting up detention centers...) is misleading as the bill has only been proposed and moved to committee and so is not actually a law by a long shot: lots of legislative wickets for it to go thru before becoming a law, and I don't see it gaining enough traction to actually become a law.
It is misleading, but I was shocked that something like this was even discussed. Your post made me more at ease. Still, if the article was mean't to serve as an early warning, it did its job.

My wife's last nursing assignment last year was in the education department for some hospitals in the American northwest: during one of the online sessions she taught I heard them brainstorming ways to deal with the corona, and one of the comments that was made was that for patients in quarantine (and therefore couldn't have relatives present) the nurses were keeping the last few minutes of the EKG strips to give to the families and sharing those moments, so as to let the families know their loved one didn't die alone. Below is a pic of the training material the wife was going over.
D
This is both encouraging and depressing at the same time. I'm happy that they do this kind of training, it looks very humane.

Looked at the link in the article that links to the NY legislative website and see there was previous other proposals worded exactly (or almost exactly) the same way, going back to 2015 (A6891), next year (A680), and the next year (A99). Seems an annual proposal that never goes anywhere (not voted on or denied). So this is not news. It would be news if this bill is ever passed.

Edit: first proposal in 2015, result from the Ebola cases in 2014?
Seems like a hammer that's attempted to be applied to every epidemic situation. However, in our unfortunate particular case, 2020 was a real epidemic. I do hope that it will not become news.

Last edited:
Australia is (so far) uniquely bad when it comes to “the tracking stuff” among Western countries.

There is some truth to this, at least in Victoria, but not so in NSW.

We had a massive gap for international airline crew, which we are now only just covering up.

Now there's a COVID-19 scare from the boxing day test match. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure he means digital privacy, not test/trace/isolate pandemic management.

Yup if it's not a rapid turnaround from testing to results to contacting everyone to isolating them, ideally a day or two at most from the result, it isn't test/trace/isolate. At that point it's just mapping the spread afterwards, which is useful to study but not to actually to close down transmission.

You read the surveillance reports here and key metrics are how quickly this happens at each stage, what percentage of cases were already in isolation when they tested positive, and how many days til people were tested, and isolated within a day or two days, that sort of thing:

upload_2021-1-7_0-31-18.png

This is because when the dlays start to pile up, that's a key trigger for broader restrictions and, in the worst case, lockdown. Whereas if a cluster starts to be contained, you see more and more cases isolating by the time they test positive:

upload_2021-1-7_0-34-5.png

Last edited:
Well, the attempt at tracing is a huge mess here too. After my brother tested positive, it took two hours on phone to do something as simple as schedule the testing for the rest of the family, get a list of those few places where we could either get infected or infect someone and confirm that we'll be in self-imposed isolation (at least to the degree that's possible, still gotta get groceries and walk the dog), mostly because there is zero information sharing within the office that's responsible for this.

Was under the impression covid testing was covered by insurance (if testing was recommended, such as showing symptoms).
The test itself was ($225), but the office visit to administer the test ($190) was not. Luckily xray was not needed (which is done in some cases) which would have been another $400 out of pocket.

Was under the impression covid testing was covered by insurance (if testing was recommended, such as showing symptoms).
The test itself was ($225), but the office visit to administer the test ($190) was not. Luckily xray was not needed (which is done in some cases) which would have been another $400 out of pocket.

If you don't mind me saying...Jesus F. Christ, what the hell is that healthcare system? Here, insurance covers all antibody tests regardless if you're sent by a doctor or not, and all diagnostics recommended by a doctor are also fully covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom