Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
And which tiles they are supposed to occupy. Map is for sure not big enough for them. That's for RFC:E, not this.

Oh, come on.... they could spawn in southern Germany lategame when Germany usually is collapsed anyway..

Oh, come on.... they could spawn in southern Germany lategame when Germany usually is collapsed anyway..

What exactly would they add to the game by then, apart from slowing the end-turn-wait even more?

Yeah, I know, but taking over the world as Switzerland would be fun.... It wouldn't really add much..

How about adding some more independent cities around the map to symblolize the various peoples and tribes to add a bit more difficulty. For example, in Eastern Europe an independent Warsawa, in the balkans maybe Beograd or Ragusa/Dubrovnik. In Africa cities would represent tribes with maybe a couple Impis as a garrison. In PAE the scenario with the barbarians has the city name as a tribe name but when it is conquered it reverts to a city name. Also in North America and Australia there should be at least some Native cities. Doesn't have to be fully-fledged civilizations just some cities here and there to add some more challenge for example the British or Americans.

I've noticed that they almost never found Warsaw... I see Memel much more often.

How about adding some more independent cities around the map to symblolize the various peoples and tribes to add a bit more difficulty. For example, in Eastern Europe an independent Warsawa, in the balkans maybe Beograd or Ragusa/Dubrovnik. In Africa cities would represent tribes with maybe a couple Impis as a garrison. In PAE the scenario with the barbarians has the city name as a tribe name but when it is conquered it reverts to a city name. Also in North America and Australia there should be at least some Native cities. Doesn't have to be fully-fledged civilizations just some cities here and there to add some more challenge for example the British or Americans.

Adding cities to Africa and the Americas would more likely than not have the opposite impact you're intending. Unless they're very well defended by ahistorically advanced units, it would likely take fewer resources to conquer a city than to settle it, and even if it's close your units come away with experience so on balance adding these cities would make colonization easier instead of harder. Plus, settling has a much greater likelihood of following historical boundaries. We've all seen some random civ conquering Mbanza Kongo but if it weren't there I guarantee you'd see it be colonized by someone reasonable, if at all.

Since European (and Asian, though Asia is pretty well settled in that regard by now) independents would presumably pop up earlier and be better defended, they may not have the same issues, though if the Byzantine obsession with Kiev is any indication you'd see them steamrolled too, as likely as not. But since Leoreth is going to be looking in depth at Europe with the next version and there are new civs to play with I wouldn't be surprised if something along those lines came along. The mod is definitely moving more toward pre-placing more cities. Whether or not that's a good thing I'll leave to your discretion :)

You're right, the number of pre-placed cities is gradually increasing. I'm aware of the problem you describe - part of the problem is that independents are bad at holding on to their cities because their world-spanning nature makes it hard for the AI to make priorities.

In the future, I'd like to circumvent that problem with more minor civs like the Seljuks. Good candidates are the Moors/Berbers, Poland and Tamils.

Could you perhaps make it that the indy cities don't spawn in an area when you play as a certain civ? i.e. none in Russia when playing as Russia.

That usually depends on the purpose the indies serve ...

That's something I've noticed with the indy/native world-spanning nature.

I had a game where a North American city went native (somewhere in Seattle) and it was building an Ikhanda.

Wait, so do you mean to say that you never heard of the Zulu Kingdom of the American Pacific?

How about making a independent cities always fortified at 25% with fixed garrison unit..
Every time a unit is killed by AI / Player before the historical time (defined),
the city regenerate the same unit at same sitting again in the next turn..
Keep doing that until the historical fall date, after the date has pass, no more regeneration of unit and make the city easily fall?

The basic problem is that Rhye hasn't done much to the independent players to make them act like they're supposed to in his scenarios. For example, they suffer the same penalties to upkeep etc. as every other player for having many cities that are far apart from each other. This causes them to disband units they can't afford, turning them into easy targets.

Breaking them up into minor civs where necessary helps a lot with that. Additional unit spawns might, too, but first we have to get rid of the incentives to disband units or it won't help at all.

You shouldn't buff the indies too much (or at all), otherwise the AI will never conquer any of them, which is way worse than the current ahistorical expansions.

Yeah, of course. Again, it depends on which independent cities we're talking about and at which point they're supposed to be taken over.

In the future, I'd like to circumvent that problem with more minor civs like the Seljuks. Good candidates are the Moors/Berbers, Poland and Tamils.

How this will affect the speed of the mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom