Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, that'd be interesting too. I don't think I've ever seen the Greeks go past the Taurus mountains and occasionally Egypt. In fact, they seem more prone to taking over northern Italy, central Russia, and the North African coast than places they ever actually conquered. :lol:

Good point.

The conditions of the Italian respawn should be removed or at least changed. I have never seen Venice remaining independent until Italy spawn (at least on marathon speed). A short report on the owners of the city of Venice:
1. Captured by the other independents from Rome (or culture flipped) don't know when
2. Independent until about 1000 AD
3. Byzantium captures Venice
4. I go to world builder in order to make Venice independent again, so that I will see Italy in my game
5. The next turn Spain captures Venice. I go again to the WB and this time give 5 longbowmen to Venice (more than Rome)
6. The next turn France captures Venice... So this time I added 7 or 8 longbowmen (2 times as much as Rome) and a wall and it seems that they stopped conquering. But the French were trying to take again the city with a stack of doom.
I don't know what is so interesting about Venice. I've seen almost every European nation there. Rome remains independent much longer.

Love what you're doing with the mod Leoreth. Just thought I'd mention that a game I rolled on the latest SVN version saw Korea get destroyed by barbarian horse archers on turn 30 (AD600).

Also, I'm getting consistent CTD's on entering worldbuilder after a certain turn every game.

Love what you're doing with the mod Leoreth. Just thought I'd mention that a game I rolled on the latest SVN version saw Korea get destroyed by barbarian horse archers on turn 30 (AD600).

Also, I'm getting consistent CTD's on entering worldbuilder after a certain turn every game.
I've encountered that as well ... the corporation business is still unfinished, maybe it has something to do with mission icons.

Oh that's good. I experienced this in Synthesis and thought it was something I had done.

I don't know how hard it is to implement, but will there be a conditional Eastern Roman spawn in the 3000 B.C. scenario? It should definitely only be if Greece is gone and it is controlled by independents/barbarians/Romans.

One problem with the spawn in general is that Egypt doesn't flip to Eastern Rome either, which is weird if Western Rome controls Egypt, thus resulting in it having distinctly eastern holdings. I'm fine if Egypt is controlled by barbarians/independents or even Egyptians since Eastern Rome can easily take it then, what with Egypt probably being way behind on tech at that stage.

Also, it's weird that Eastern Rome is ahead on technology compared to Western Rome. I don't know how you would fix that, but it doesn't make any sense historically.

Also, and I'm not 100% sure on this, but it seems to me that Western Rome takes a hit to stability if it's losing cities to Eastern Rome. If anything it should be the opposite.

Now, the big problem with an AI Eastern Rome spawning is that it conflicts with the 476 deadline for controlling Greece and Egypt. You could just move the deadline to just before 330 for only Greece and Egypt, though that almost qualifies as a 4th UHV condition.

Minor point: you should change the names for Rome and Byzantium to Western Rome and Eastern Rome when both are alive.

Finally, I must say that playing as Rome it's kind of weird to watch your territories sucked up by France, Spain, and Britain, when nothing of the kind happened historically. Plus, by the time they DO spawn you've probably gotten the barbarian situation under control so maybe they should win a bit before Spain spawns? That may or may not counterbalance an earlier deadline for the territory gains.

Whatever you do, keep up the good work Leoreth, this is a great modmod. :)

Ok, I'm back from my brief vacation to the Big Apple, and I'm ready to test, test, test!

But before I do, I was hoping Leoreth that you could add this new LH:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17408

Its an updated Catherine the Great, who I always thought looked like trash, (also Isabella).

Also good job on finding a East Asian replacement for the Heavy Swordsman! :)

I'll play test the newest version tomorrow. I also back you 100% on your overhaul of the terrible companies system. Having them spread automatically is much better then having the state have to build units to spread it. Can't wait to try it out!

Ok, I'm back from my brief vacation to the Big Apple, and I'm ready to test, test, test!

Its an updated Catherine the Great, who I always thought looked like trash, (also Isabella).

Also good job on finding a East Asian replacement for the Heavy Swordsman! :)

I'll play test the newest version tomorrow. I also back you 100% on your overhaul of the terrible companies system. Having them spread automatically is much better then having the state have to build units to spread it. Can't wait to try it out!

A new Isabella? This one looks more modest

Is it normal that the UP for Rome doesn't work ? In two different games I DoW on Greece then Phoenicia, and I get no army... How disapointing !
I'm playing on viceroy BTW.

I don't know how hard it is to implement, but will there be a conditional Eastern Roman spawn in the 3000 B.C. scenario? It should definitely only be if Greece is gone and it is controlled by independents/barbarians/Romans.
This is exactly how it works. No Greece + Roman city in the Greek core = Byzantine spawn.

One problem with the spawn in general is that Egypt doesn't flip to Eastern Rome either, which is weird if Western Rome controls Egypt, thus resulting in it having distinctly eastern holdings. I'm fine if Egypt is controlled by barbarians/independents or even Egyptians since Eastern Rome can easily take it then, what with Egypt probably being way behind on tech at that stage.
Yeah, but you can't know in advance who owns these cities. It's like saying America flipping the East Coast makes no sense if it's French controlled or whatever.

Also, it's weird that Eastern Rome is ahead on technology compared to Western Rome. I don't know how you would fix that, but it doesn't make any sense historically.
They need a different tech setup because they're meant to be competitive in the Medieval Era, while Rome isn't. Also, usually you lose a few turns in the beginning before you can actually start teching, this is meant to compensate for that.

Now, the big problem with an AI Eastern Rome spawning is that it conflicts with the 476 deadline for controlling Greece and Egypt. You could just move the deadline to just before 330 for only Greece and Egypt, though that almost qualifies as a 4th UHV condition.
You're right, I completely forgot that the Roman deadline is that late. The goal is based on Trajan's empire anyway, and I think with the UP it should be doable by 300 or something.

Minor point: you should change the names for Rome and Byzantium to Western Rome and Eastern Rome when both are alive.
Unfortunately the current dynamic names system doesn't allow for that. Some day in the future I'll change it to make a little more sense, with names based on eras and situation.

Finally, I must say that playing as Rome it's kind of weird to watch your territories sucked up by France, Spain, and Britain, when nothing of the kind happened historically. Plus, by the time they DO spawn you've probably gotten the barbarian situation under control so maybe they should win a bit before Spain spawns? That may or may not counterbalance an earlier deadline for the territory gains.
I may remove the barbarian goal altogether, because if you get your cities conquered by them, you'll mess up your territory goal anyway. I need to playtest them myself to find out what's possible, though.

Yeah, melcher's LH replacements are really good.

It's not implemented yet though.

Is it normal that the UP for Rome doesn't work ? In two different games I DoW on Greece then Phoenicia, and I get no army... How disapointing !
I'm playing on viceroy BTW.
As already said, did you try it in the first turn? It doesn't work then because that would mess with Rome's wars on spawn.

No it was after the flip, I had even founded my French cities with the initial settlers.

Okay. Did you have logging enabled? I'd like to see the content of your PythonDbg.txt then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom