1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fall patch is out

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by The_J, Nov 1, 2012.

1. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I know, I also have a Radeon HD 3xxx card, but there's still a newer driver available.
    Please update it. There's a chance that it will help, and not a high chance that it will hurt.

EDIT: Bleh, I'm wrong, there's no newer version EDIT2: At least not much newer, only 20 days. Seems some time has passed since I made my last update.
    -> let the devs figure out where the problem is, with your mdmp files.

2. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

20 days newer could still be an improvement since it would contain some updates and fixes. Not saying it will solve the problems but when it says get the latest and great, that's what they mean.

3. PrimoXanthous

PrimoXanthous ~ knightmare13 ~

It is the option in which the AI choose to offer you in exchange for peace treaty when you defeat much of their army or their whole army.

4. strstrep

strstrep Chieftain

I tried redownloading it, and it's the same exact driver package that I already have. Perhaps it took them a while to release it (testing, etc.) after they had their final version. Oh well, I'm hopeful to be able to play Civ V again at some point. At least Civ IV still works ;)

5. Heinage

Heinage Khan

When do we think they will fix the bugs this patch has caused?
    Like others here, I've noticed the Danish UA being broken, and some pathing issues, and hope we don't have to wait months for those things to be fixed.

6. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

No problem at all.

Loaded this one up and was able to get to the next turn. Arabia wanted open borders (accepted), Ottomans wanted their deal renewed (accepted) and you completed Brandenburg Gate. Set a couple of cities to produce an Opera house and your generals to alert if you want to pick up where I left off.

Of note, I've got no mods and selected DX10/11.

Attached save file to see if you can make a go of it.

Attached Files:

7. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

Okay, minor complaint here:
    ... my workers now refuse to build a straight line road,
    ... because it is not the direct route between cities (though both roads are same length).
    ... I want to be one hex to the side to facilitate military movement
    ... ... and the next city connection.
    ... When I build that one road first then try to build straight to next city
    ... ... the worker goes back and builds the direct route, an S-shape of same length.

Whereas I appreciate the worker's dedication to his art,
    ... I prefer he build the road as instructed.

8. oman19

oman19 Chieftain

Just to start out with I'm fairly new to Civ so this is my first patch I've been through with this game.

Seems to me a lot of the issues with the patch could be from add-on's. Any game I've ever played such as WoW, when patched would break a few add-on's until they were updated which caused the game to be unstable or do weird things.

Maybe that's not the case with Civ but wouldn't be shocked either.

9. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

There will probably be a hotfix before too long, but obviously they have to locate the source of the errors first, and obviously that's not always easy when some of it are actually bugs in the game while others come from incompatible drivers etc. Let's hope it'll be no more than a week.

10. Chapon

Chapon Chieftain

Well it is easy if you make a proper testing prior releasing a "patch" that makes the game unplayable. It is also easy not to mess up with a rendering in a game which is famous for rendering problems. I am sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but it has been 5 days now without any official word or explanation on when and how will this "patch" be patched.

11. ThisNameIsTooLo

ThisNameIsTooLo Emotion Lord

There's an easy fix. Stop automating your workers.

12. Rooftrellen

Rooftrellen King

The first hour after the patch was released, it was tested more than it could have been had it been ready to go for a year.

The bigger problem is that those that have problems seem to be unable to go back to the older version, as far as I can tell. The newest patch seems to be forced on a person when starting the game, which is really bad in practice for situations just as this.

If they were to allow people to "unpatch" the patch, there wouldn't be any major hurry on it, but so long as they force it on people, it's a pretty big issue.

13. Wodan

Wodan Deity

Pathing is definitely broken... hold down the right mouse button and units don't take the shortest route to the destination.

14. greenfishciv

greenfishciv Chieftain

That's soley on STEAM and their policy (DRM). Yeah I agree it's a problem, just like steam goes down for "maintenance" 3 times every month.

A lot of people have asked VALVE for a policy where a user could re-roll to vanilla or x patched version, but VALVE isn't interested.

15. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

Finally, people are beginning to get it. Too late though as Steam has its fingers in Civ now, like nearly every other game.

That`s my whole problem with Steam. Everything is shoved down your throat without the option to choose. Before Steam, you could opt out of having a Patch and take theone you liked. Valve hold all the cards now and we have to suck on it.

This is the last Steam-Forced game i`ll ever buy, no matter how good the game is.

16. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

So, I was finally able to download the new patch yesterday, and now Civ won't work at all. No matter which option I select (DX10/11 or 9), the screen goes grey and I get an error message that Civ is not working and will need to be closed.

I moved this weekend and have very spotty access to the internet at the moment, so this was a major disappointment. Sorry I can't provide more detail at the moment, but I don't have my laptop with me at work today. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

17. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

The validation of the file integrity of the game files should be something to do in normal cases, if you have internet. Without...no chance.

Edit: Besides updating your graphics card drivers, that's something always to consider.

18. Rooftrellen

Rooftrellen King

Steam/valve is not the developer or publisher of Civ5.

Whatever policies they have (other than forcing me to keep their program on my computer to play a game I bought...annoying but not for here or now), it was acceptable to Firaxis and 2k.

I think it would be acceptable to question why they don't allow people to take an older patch over a newer one that isn't working for them. I have not played much these days, but I have found no problems.

However, I sympathize with those that do have problems, because, as far as I could tell, and as you seem to confirm, there is no way to go back to an older patch.

If they have made decisions that make that choice unavailable for the players, perhaps the best solution would be to revert everyone to the older patch. I do like many of the changes, but I'd rather have the endless scrolling screen back and everyone able to play than to get rid of my problem but have some people experience game breaking problems.

The patch could be put back in when some of the more serious problems are solved.

19. anandus

anandus Errorist

That's why I do not understand why they didn't issue it as a beta patch first.
    First issue a patch as a beta and only people who apply the proper setting will get the patch and then when that is tested by the thousands of users that apply for it, then one can roll out the patch as is.

Steam allows for the option and with Skyrim it has proven to work excellent.

@Anybody readig from Firaxis:
    Maybe an idea for the next patch? :)

20. Zilkin

Zilkin Chieftain

Here's my patch feedback in case someone from Firaxis is reading!

Overall awesome patch, love pillage heal(though I wish you could do this on your own land as well since that is a big part of how medieval armies kept going), restart button has see much use already, the game runs noticeable smoother, AI is bit smarter, etc. Just lots of good stuff. :)

So after all that praising here's couple small things I'd like to see future patches/expansions fix:

1. AI doesn't realize it doesn't have unit capable of city capture available.

What happens is that I've destroyed their melee units, my city is at quite low health, but I have more than enough units around to deal with the attack. Here the AI pretty much completely breaks down since it often just keeps bombarding my city anyway. However since it doesn't have anything to capture the city with it only manages to give my units freebie to kill them without even taking damage.

PS. That before has happened very early game and inland, so it isn't because it has units it can cap the city which I don't know about.

2. Detailed tooltips for UUs an UBs at the civilization select screen. This is a really small thing that has bothered me since the start. You already have the unit/building name there if you mouse over them, please add the actual description too. At least I can't remember what all of them do. ATM I always have civilopedia open in browser and alt+tab to see what the things actually do. Would be really nice QoL change!

3. This last thing is more of a balance change. I would really like to be able to get in to the religion business even if you miss out the beginning. What I would suggest is tying religion to holy cities so you could remedy the situation later by capturing one. Of course this would also require adding a mechanic to limit civs from having more than one religion by capturing/founding holy cities. Simply having to choose your "main" religion like in CIV would work I think!

Anyway big thanks for the patch and hope you keep working on this game. :goodjob: