Fall patch is out

I actually had Theodora do something in my Deity game taht I've never seen before; demand gold from me and DoW me when I refused. It was really unexpected and kinda cool, but also pretty dumb because I brutally crushed her unpromoted inferior-tech army.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Was she a friend? I've only had friends request gold/resources, never an enemy.

Was she a friend? I've only had friends request gold/resources, never an enemy.

Hell no, I trashed her capital and she hated my guts. :lol:

I took a screenshot that I can upload later, but she said something to the effect of "Give us what we want, or we'll be forced to come take it" and demanded 615 gold. I said no and she immediately DoWed. I thought it might be new with the patch, but it might be one of those uber-rare events that happens like when an AI ally asks you to denounce someone or they'll denounce you.

FWIW.

Uploaded the patch, a marathon game I was playing would not load. I could launch the game and I was able to get to the Load screen, select game, but that was it. It would not BSOD...just sit there and once bringing up taskmgr it was not responding.

Rebooted system just in case the patch might require it and the same thing happened.

I was not to upset losing the game as I was in good shape, but not going to reach a domination victory.

Started a new game with the same settings (minus using teams). Other than a little slow, especially for a new game on Marathon, it was going good until my CPU crashed (~180 turns in). No warning. No BSOD. Just a straight up crash to the point I thought my battery cable came out. My CPU had never crashed like that for a game.

It took a little while to get the my CPU on, but it started. Checked Event Viewer and no APPCrash or any other error. Ran DXDIAG and it says everything is great.

I have continued on and everything seem to be working.

I play civ 5 with my girlfriend as we live in separate countries it is a good way to kill some time together, I play on the pc and she plays on a mac. The fact that the update isn't available for macs means we can no longer game together, meaning the game is effectively worthless for both of us.

Please release the patch for macs soon as its annoying not being able to play the game! Failing that, how would I downgrade my version so that we no longer have the version mismatch?

Thanks.

here's something i need to test. to prevent AI pillaging can you place a worker and have them change the tile for one turn? they wont finish the new tile improvement but they usually get rid of the old one in the turn they decide to so. might be useful in mp to get rid of the tiles in the 1st ring around your better cities so the melee guys cant time their pillages to take the cities.

only played a little last night but havent tried mp with this yet.

I use this tactic all the time when I'm trying to limit the growth of puppet cities when I didn't have time to pillage all the food tiles. I can confirm that one turn of building a new improvement, immediately canceled, will destroy the old improvement, leaving only grassland or whatever. It'll show a graphic for the partially constructed new improvement, but it cannot be pillaged until completed.

Before you get currency or engineering you won't be able to do this to mines unless they're next to water. (Which would allow a farm to be placed)

EDIT: Note that you have to pay the full build time to put back the old improvement though. So, your best bet is to deter pillaging imho. I've found that archers aren't enough after the patch. I need some warriors or whatever else in the mix to defend my improvements. I'm also not inclined at all to build improvements in the third ring anymore. Really, the biggest impact so far on the game that I've seen is that the new pillaging rules encourage warlike behavior, and discourage defensive turtling. I'm not sure that's a great thing, since being aggressive was already the best strategy imho.

Think I've run into a couple of religion-related bugs with the patch.

If I enhance my religion before meeting all city states, I'm not getting the "You have met [city state]" screen when I do meet new CS's - and I don't *think* I'm getting the gold gift. Happened on two games now where I enhanced my religion fast (as the Mayans).

This was a fun one. Was going super-wide (second Mayan game aforementioned), and had my religion in like 39 cities. I'd taken all the +happiness stuff (1 per city, 1 per shrine, 2 per temple), and was rocking at ~106 happiness empire-wide :p. Then, I had to reboot my machine getting into mid-late game (started getting the grey patches people have been reporting). When I reloaded my save game, my happiness had plummeted down to -3. Looking over the happiness numbers, it looked like the game had just forgotten about the +happiness from all the shrines and temples after the reload - it was reporting the 39 happiness gains from religion (presumably the +1 per city), but nothing else religion-related. Tried selling off a shrine or two and re-buying to see if it'd recalculate, but no dice. Reloading again didn't correct it. Kinda shot my game at that point, since I had no way of repairing the happy.

Anyone else have these issues / can confirm?

Additionally, something seems to have broken a bit with the pathing tweaks. Units at times pick pretty terrible pathing choices, deciding to hit a hill or cross a river before using a clear plains tile instead of using the plains first to get to the same destination, for example (so using two turns to move instead of just one when available). So far it seems to be weirder when near roads or rivers, but I have seen some odd choices out in the open as well.

I know this is probably not the issue, but you weren't running ICS-style 3-pop cities, were you? Post-patch, some things that were global happiness before are local happiness now.

I find Pagodas much less useful now as a result. In my last game I was running Liberty/Honor, so I was getting:

+1 happiness from my religion

+1 happiness from my garrison
+1 happiness from shrines
+1 happiness from trade route
+2 happiness from coliseums
+2 happiness from circus (in some cities)

So, Pagodas were pointless until I went to size 6/8. Sure, you could argue that they're better than a coliseum because there's no maintenance, but realistically, if you're going expansive, you don't have enough faith to place that many pagodas. And you can't even do that unless you annex, so for puppet cities they're worthless.

Given the local happiness change, I'm finding that I favor other beliefs now over Pagodas. Ceremonial Burial is still awesome though. :-D

I"m having a crash issue with civ right when the dawn of man fades into the map i'll be playing... It starts right after I press start playing or w/e the button is that appears after DoM finishes and the map loads... Help? I've already reloaded the game/reinstalled the game and its happening every time I play.

Okay, here's the screenshot of what Theo did:

Spoiler :

Like I said, I honestly don't ever remember that happening. It was REALLY unexpected.

Oh, and if anyone was still wondering about the AI wonderspamming(I saw people in other threads talking about it):
Spoiler :

And he had FIVE more in Akkad, but none of them were particularly good(lol Angkor Wat) so I didn't bother. :p

I use this tactic all the time when I'm trying to limit the growth of puppet cities when I didn't have time to pillage all the food tiles. I can confirm that one turn of building a new improvement, immediately canceled, will destroy the old improvement, leaving only grassland or whatever. It'll show a graphic for the partially constructed new improvement, but it cannot be pillaged until completed.

Before you get currency or engineering you won't be able to do this to mines unless they're next to water. (Which would allow a farm to be placed)

EDIT: Note that you have to pay the full build time to put back the old improvement though. So, your best bet is to deter pillaging imho. I've found that archers aren't enough after the patch. I need some warriors or whatever else in the mix to defend my improvements. I'm also not inclined at all to build improvements in the third ring anymore. Really, the biggest impact so far on the game that I've seen is that the new pillaging rules encourage warlike behavior, and discourage defensive turtling. I'm not sure that's a great thing, since being aggressive was already the best strategy imho.

i just ragequit a game (for separate reasons) but i was playing on immortal and had about 5 jungle trading posts. the AI (hiawatha) pillaged 3 of them. and those take forever to get up and running. it was really tough. i didnt get to change production because it was a backstab rush. honestly, i should have seen it coming but i mistakenly thought we were semi-pals and didnt get enough units. i had 2 other wars (one of which had units at my door) and my units were in those cities.

I know this is probably not the issue, but you weren't running ICS-style 3-pop cities, were you? Post-patch, some things that were global happiness before are local happiness now.

Nope, was letting the pops go crazy since I had (and was planning for) tons of excess happiness. Cities needed at least 5 followers each to drive the Temple happiness anyway.

And I was getting all the correct happiness until saving and reloading the game - then it all just poofed. As I'd posted - was somewhere around 106 happiness, did a save, reboot machine, reload, ended up with -3 happiness empire-wide. Bad juju.

I'm with you on the Pagodas. Used to be a big fan of them, little less so now overall. Still nice, but they're not ones I'm automatically trying to go for in my religions of late.

Nope, was letting the pops go crazy since I had (and was planning for) tons of excess happiness. Cities needed at least 5 followers each to drive the Temple happiness anyway.

And I was getting all the correct happiness until saving and reloading the game - then it all just poofed. As I'd posted - was somewhere around 106 happiness, did a save, reboot machine, reload, ended up with -3 happiness empire-wide. Bad juju.

I'm with you on the Pagodas. Used to be a big fan of them, little less so now overall. Still nice, but they're not ones I'm automatically trying to go for in my religions of late.

You might have seen it already, but Dennis posted in another thread that using the F keys will cause some of the problems you reported (no pop-ups). I can't imagine what happened with the happiness in your game though.

I"m having a crash issue with civ right when the dawn of man fades into the map i'll be playing... It starts right after I press start playing or w/e the button is that appears after DoM finishes and the map loads... Help? I've already reloaded the game/reinstalled the game and its happening every time I play.

Could I take a look at your dxdiag? Also, are you playing DX9 or 11?

IIRC, improvement repairs only take 3 turns each.

i thought jungle repairs were longer. normal tiles, yes, but it seems i remember jungle repairs taking longer. and im not sure if liberty bonus or Pyramids affects such things like repairs.

Okay, here's the screenshot of what Theo did:

Spoiler :

Like I said, I honestly don't ever remember that happening. It was REALLY unexpected.QUOTE]

I think Ramesses has demanded stuff from me before but it is a really rare thing, usually if the AI wants your they just DOW you.

You can actually do it to them too, but I have a hard time seeing it working.

Top Bottom