1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get a job (or not)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, Nov 6, 2011.

1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Got a question -

I have been working on a project for the satellite team for a few months. The original concept was someone else's idea but I've done the lion's share of the design work and research to bring the project to fruition which means that I know the system inside and out.

There is a company that is working on the exact same project and we know that from a past contact our team had with this company that they decided to pursue the same project based on our outline. Even the technical specifications are identical though their project uses much more advanced construction techniques.

Anywho, the company's website list the project as 'under development'. I've been looking for an internship and/or co-op and traditional approaches (career fairs, online-applications, etc) haven't had any success. So I went digging online about this company and found the team within the company that is developing the project and also dug up contact info (via linkedin) on the team members, including the project manager.

The company's web-site had a general application form that I filled out and I mentioned the project I have been working on in reference to the company's own version of it. I mentioned that I have a lot of experience working on this project and since their project was still under development that an internship would be mutually-beneficially to both parties, myself and the company. Their website lists no job openings for interns or co-ops (at least for now) so as I said, my application/resume was a 'general application' that probably wound up in a pile next to the shredder. That was this Monday for reference.

I am thinking about writing an email (via LinkedIn) to the project manager at the company outlining my experience working on the same project and basically asking for an internship or a co-op to work at the company on the project.

Would this be alright? I'm not sure about the do's and don'ts of LinkedIn and how to solicit jobs through direct contact. If it is ok to contact the manager and ask for employment, should I go ahead and attach a resume or wait until he replies?

2. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I'd call the manager and pitch directly, asking for a meeting so you can discuss it further.

3. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

That was my first instinct but all I have found is his email. How do I go about finding his phone number if he doesn't list it on LinkedIn? Can I call the corporate offices?

4. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Probably better luck if you try a local office (or corporate if he works there), just say you were directed to talk to him about something regarding the project.

5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Good tip, thanks.

6. GenMarshall

GenMarshall High Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Looking back at my older post (and now that my situation has changed, for the better), I feel kind of embarrassed about it now :blush:.

Anyway, I do have a question that relates to a goal I have in mind, which is transfering to a different department within the company. I've had this goal in mind when I started cleaning kitchens and taking out their trash on third shift. Which is essentially transfering to a better paying possition, hours that are humanly reasonable, and where I can utalize my existing knowlage and skills.

How would I go about in the interview for internal hires if it comes? Is it alright to ask my current supervisors as a source of referance? Should I include a coworker (one that is much older than me and has seen me work) as a source to?

7. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Interesting opportunity. Do you have any kind of non compete or non disclosure agreement with your current situation?

Otherwise, call the company and get the PMs phone number and call him to set up a meeting or lunch.

8. Birdjaguar

The new boss should know that you are transferring internally. Typically, your current boss will approve or sign off on your request to change jobs inside the company. You should try to get your current bosses blessing from the beginning and even get him to speak to the new boss about your desire to improve your situation.

9. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

:)

In theory i was (sort-of) hired by a local magazine. I am not that happy though because the magazine is internet-based, and although i suppose it has at least a few thousand regular readers (solely judging from its facebook likes and such things) it is not an actual paying job (or is not traditionally paying).

I will probably send a few lit articles and see if they can use them. Nothing to lose anyway.

10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

No I don't have a non-disclosure agreement in place currently.

This guy is also based in Washington state and I am in Missouri. I don't have the funds to fly out to WA to discuss a job that doesn't exist yet. :( But I am going to call for sure now, thanks for the advice. I believe they are closed for Veterans day so I will try tomorrow.

11. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

If you can't do a meeting in person, I would tell him about your situation, stressing that you still truly want the job, and suggest alternatives, like a meeting/interview over Skype or something like that.

12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Ok thanks. :)

13. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Non-compete clauses are dumb, I've had some in the past which have effectively been "You may not work for any other company in the industry, or for any other company doing similar work for a period of several years following your employment with us."

At that point I just ignore them for being unlawful/unenforceable.

14. Birdjaguar

They often can be, but it depends on the specific content. Having one in place when you move to a competitor can complicate things. A non disclosure, though, is different and could be more trouble. They often restrict what you can tell other people whether you work for them or not.

15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I spoke with my team advisor yesterday to sort all that out as I don't want to take this job and then be seen as betraying the team or something. We basically agreed that I would pursue the job and if it worked out we'd immediately start working on getting the team patent protection for our work since I don't have an NDA in place. We should be working on the patent stuff anyways and I've been pushing for it but we're in a place where resources are being stretched tight in order to meet big looming deadlines.

I left a message with the project manager at the company yesterday and I'm waiting (and hoping) to hear back. It was worth a shot though.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

16. Birdjaguar

Smart moves.

17. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

It worked!

I got called back by an HR rep at Aerojet yesterday. He said that the internship program hadn't started up yet so they can't interview me until January. He gave me his personal phone number to call to remind him about me and he also said he put my resume aside for fast-tracking for an interview when the program opens.

Then the guy I originally contacted emailed me his personal phone number in case 'HR drags their feet in January'. He alsl told me to keep showing the initiative.

Thanks everyone!

18. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

congratulations

and you were so worried! remember that?

19. Wrymouth3

Wrymouth3 Emperor

Congratulations! Although I was assuming your dream job would be to get hired by a Rachni in the Mice Galaxies :cool:.

20. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Thanks!

I'm still worried as this isn't a sure thing and it's the only positive response I've gotten out of the dozen or so applications I've sent out this semester. Still optimistic though!