[RD] I'm transitioning. If you've ever been confused about the T in LGBT, ask me anything

I'd hope it'd tie into a discussion on mental health in general. To put it morbidly, if I'd killed myself two years ago, my wife woulda cremated her husband. I wouldn't've been counted. The underlying issue though would have been dysphoria.

Definitely. Right now mental health only seems to be brought up as a way to distract from gun policy discussion.

Because what everyone needs is more guns, apparently.

Well, I'm over 35 (just), but I'm excessively liberal and I've never set foot further west than the Isle of Skye. I'm sure that won't be a problem, right?

You're not allowed to be younger than I am, Contre. It's not right.

(Also, I'm back in the National Capital Region)

Do you plan to live in stealth once you fully transition?

Before I transitioned, when i was more naive with my life, the answer was yes. I wanted to be seen as a woman, a real woman, not just a transwoman. That is a big reason why I went to a college 4-5 hours away from where I live, rather than something local (a decision which I kind of came to regret but at this point it would be even worse to move to a closer college since I made actual friends there which kind of brings me to my main point). My plan was to transition away from everyone, then honestly set my life on my own since I didn't think my parents would have supported me. Hell, my plan A was to go to California for college/female life, to really drive home my point of wanting to put my male past behind me.

However... at this point I just have too many friends that I just can't see myself cutting them out of my life just so I can go stealth. They are amazing people who already view me as a woman; I don't really need to find new friends and lie about my past for that same effect.

Ironically, I might actually have the opportunity to go stealth in the far future. The way my relationship is going with my bf, I would move to Europe to be with him permanently. If that's the case, then I certainly would be surrounded by people with no prior knowledge of me, and who knows I might go stealth because I could. IDK, I'd cross that bridge when I get there; right now I need to transition and what not.

Do you plan to live in stealth once you fully transition?

That word has a lot of different meanings. I would never, ever, cut off all ties to everyone who knows my history. Those people supported me, and continue to support me. I need them. To go stealth to the level of cutting all ties requires a poor social support network to begin with, I think. How do you walk away from a family that supported you?

That word has a lot of different meanings. I would never, ever, cut off all ties to everyone who knows my history. Those people supported me, and continue to support me. I need them. To go stealth to the level of cutting all ties requires a poor social support network to begin with, I think. How do you walk away from a family that supported you?

Well, look at my example, for instance. Even if I had a loving, supporting family, there is a good chance that in a decade I'll be in the Netherlands permanently. I could still, like, call my parents or what not, but in terms of the people who I meet there, if I wanted to go stealth, there is really no way they could find out about my past if I don't want them to. TBH you don't even need to move that far for that effect; moving to a different state/province or even the other side of the state/province if its big would have the same effect. You've already uprooted yourself from your old community, and can start anew.

In my case it would be out of love, but it could be for jobs, or even other non-trans related issues I don't really have the care to list out in detail. The point is, the opportunity might arise even if you aren't looking for it.

I meant it in a way that - at one point of transition you get your ID card and passport changed, your name is legally changed. So if you want to keep all the old contacts you kinda have to tell them one by one that this "new" person with this new name has a history of being the person they knew.

I can only be envious that you live in an enviroment where people actually support transgender persons.

Like - what is the benefit of supporting someone who you can't understand, who has problems you have never heard of, who has been depressed for periods of long time (in many cases) and who has difficulties getting a steady job (often as well)?

People here in Latvia turn away from everything like that, nobody has time for an altruistic sympathy.

Like - what is the benefit of supporting someone who you can't understand, who has problems you have never heard of, who has been depressed for periods of long time (in many cases) and who has difficulties getting a steady job (often as well)?

Normally there wouldn't be a benefit, or not an inherit benefit, that is if all you see people as is some sort cog in a machine or some way to survive, get income, be "productive" or "useful".

But the reason people do support is when you see people have an inherit value, when you love them and care about them, it might not "pay off" in monetary value right away, but it will pay off when you see someone you love become much happier, when you get to continue to interact with that person you love, when you know they will be safer and less likely to hurt themselves.

The benefit is continuing to have that person you love and care about in your lives and to continue to see them grow. When a parent disowns their child for being gay or for being trans, that tells me the parent never truly loved their kid, and certainly not unconditionally. :(

My question was a rather rhetorical one, albeit not rhetorical at all when considering that many(most) people in Latvia care only about themselves, their family and people they could benefit from in foreseeable future.

Since collapse of USSR, people have been in a survival mode, it got better in early 2000s, but then at 2009 economical crisis happened when like 15% lost their jobs and 40% got demoted/their wages got lowered, so we are back to point which was like 2005 economically.

What I mean with all of this - people have no time, no wish to care about anything if all they have to do is work, work and quite often even working in 2 jobs isn't enough to sustain a family (if a man works and wife stays at home).

The Europian Union has said "Thou shall not hate gays, Latvia", but in reality it means that ministers or offical spokespersons can't voice any hateful comments towards tri-yearly Pride event.

Also what comes with culture like this is "I don't care how you feel and when I ask how are you, you must not say how it really is or I won't be friends with you anymore, because I'm not interested in your life, I just want someone to hang out with ".

In short words, to care about LGBT stuff, one has to be wealthy and open-minded enough to even form a logical opinion on the subject, which would stem from more than anecdotical evidence.

That's basically a difference between a 1st world country or a developing one I suppose.

That makes sense. I'm sad to hear of such situation (economic as well as social) in Latvia.

That's quite nonsensical to be honest. Anti-homophobia measures are not "the crushing of civil society" they're a call to expand it to people who have been excluded from it. And the idea that LGBT is some kind of First World decadence we can enjoy because of our wealth is also ridiculous. First, because working class trans people are the vast majority and being transgender puts one at a much higher risk of unemployment, homelessness, and all other manner of terrible things; second, because the gender binary against which we rebel is itself a creation of Western imperialism that destroyed indigenous societies and their myriad genders, so the idea that it's a privilege to be able to fight against colonialism is itself absurd; which plays into 3, that there are strong LGBT movements in the Third World just like there are in the First.

So stop blaming the West for homosexuality and transgender people, and start coming to terms with your own bigotry and the inequalities in your own society. Because we are everywhere. We always have been. The tragedy is that people like you have always pretended we didn't exist, and now act surprised when we appear and demand an end to our suffering and a redress of our grievances.

@cheezy: Could you elaborate on that? I mean, if I was drawing up a list of the top 5 things Uganda needs to stop doing; their rather nasty anti-gay laws wouldn't be on that list. Convincing Museveni he should step down and stop charging opposition candidate with treason seems a lot more important.
I mean, Museveni won a fifth term and arrested the opposition candidate on grounds of treason coupled with shutting down parts of the internet on election day and it got a handful of articles on the BBC. Uganda passing nasty anti-gay laws? All over the internet with media covering speeches by world leaders and foreign ministers talking about how terrible that law is.

Top Bottom